Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Blizzard Continues to Carefully Tinker With Diablo III

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Blizzard Entertainment; Diablo III

<p>During GamesCom Kotaku apparently <a href="http://kotaku.com/5617725/blizzard-continues-to-carefully-tinker-with-diablo-iii" target="_blank">managed to chat</a> with Diablo 3 lead designer Jay Wilson.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>The team is also working on a new crafting system that will allow players to salvage items they no longer want without being forced to go into town to do it.</p>
<p>When you salvage an item you break it down to elements, but the elements are what Wilson described as "fantastical", things that sound magic and can be used to craft other special items.</p>
<p>If a player wants to get gold for their items while in the field they can just use a "scroll of wealth," he added.</p>
<p>Everything that Blizzard is doing with their game is aimed at bringing in a larger, more connected audience.</p>
</blockquote>
<p><em>Everything that Blizzard is doing with their game is aimed at bringing in a larger, more connected audience.</em></p>
<p>Are you a connected enough dude for Diablo 3?<em></em></p>
<p><em><br /></em></p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/99405-diablo-iii-interview.html">GB</a></p>

Micmu

Magister
Fantastic and magic and they can shove their facebook-integrated malware up kotick's ass.

Ah, I also see that the town portal scrolls were too much of a hassle for someone. :P

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Secretninja said:
latexmonkeys said:
Hoaxmetal said:
Sounds good, less tedious trips to sell loot.
Yep.
Now if only they include a "scroll of win" to take care of that tedious combat...

:thumbsup:

What a ridiculous thing to complain about, even for the codex.

There is nothing to ridiculous to complain about for the codex.

On the Codex, you must complain about something to give your arguments weight. Didn't you guys read the rules when registering?

donaldbitchabout.jpg

tunguska

Liturgist
Why even report stories on Diablo III? Just to max out our outrage meter? It has nothing to do with The Codex. Blizzard was never on our side. They were always the enemy. It's not like Bioware who betrayed us. Or Obsidian who, with the exception of MotB, has done little but disappoint us since BIS. Even Bethesda once made games like Arena and Daggerfall before being assimilated. I guess it is relevant to the overall Decline of cRPGs though. Blizzard always was and always will be a pack of greedy whores. Nothing they could do would ever surprise or offend me. I already know what prostitutes are like. Always looking at their watch. Nothing, and I mean nothing, is more important to them than money.

latexmonkeys

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not really complaining anyway.

Just amused at the idea of further streamlining a franchise that i thought was incapable of further streamlining. How much more streamlined can you get before a game ceases to be a game at all. Diablo's not that complicated. Ya kill stuff and lug loot back to town to sell. Half of that equation is now gone.

Save you witticisms for Skyway. No ones exactly throwin' a tantrum over here.

Sheesh

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
When Torchlight invents a "skip going back to town"-mechanic it's a great innovation, but when Blizzard does it, it's stupid?

...yeah. Diablo III has a horrible, horrible art direction, but that seems to be it as of right now.

latexmonkeys said:
Diablo's not that complicated. Ya kill stuff and lug loot back to town to sell. Half of that equation is now gone.

Well, plenty of games consist of killing stuff, and backtracking to sell loot is fucking boring anyway. No loss, it's like having grinding removed.

latexmonkeys

Augur
Patron
Grunker said:
When Torchlight invents a "skip going back to town"-mechanic it's a great innovation, but when Blizzard does it, it's stupid?

...yeah. Diablo III has a horrible, horrible art direction, but that seems to be it as of right now.

Who the hell's praising Torchlight?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
tunguska said:
Why even report stories on Diablo III? Just to max out our outrage meter? It has nothing to do with The Codex. Blizzard was never on our side. They were always the enemy. It's not like Bioware who betrayed us. Or Obsidian who, with the exception of MotB, has done little but disappoint us since BIS. Even Bethesda once made games like Arena and Daggerfall before being assimilated. I guess it is relevant to the overall Decline of cRPGs though. Blizzard always was and always will be a pack of greedy whores. Nothing they could do would ever surprise or offend me. I already know what prostitutes are like. Always looking at their watch. Nothing, and I mean nothing, is more important to them than money.

Bro, Diablo II has been declared #5 of the TOP 5 RPGs of the Decade. I think that warrants a bit of coverage for esteemed RPG dev Blizzard, don't you think? Don't answer yet, think about it first.

In the meantime fill out this feedback form:
[ ] This is not news! (the topic at hand is not newsworthy in my opinion)
[ ] The newsitem contained a joke, but I didn't LOL hard enough
[ ] The newsitem didn't contain any joke, I didn't LOL at all
[ ] I don't care (I don't care about the subject and don't want to read anything I don't care about)
[ ] The newsitem contained profanity and/or foul language which makes me upset
[ ] The newsitem didn't contain profanity and/or foul language which makes me even more upset
[ ] I'm a profeshunal gaeming journalist and this newspost doesn't hold up to my high and profeshunal standards
[ ] RPGCodex is a cesspool
[ ] This is an OUTRAGE! (the newsitem implied something I like very much sucks)
[ ] BROS I CAN HARTDLY TYPE BROS IM TOTLALLY DRIUNKL, SORERY BROS
[ ] I hate Vault Dweller (incident of Vault Dweller induced butthurt occured earlier, unrelated to the topic at hand)
[ ] Other (please specify below)

latexmonkeys

Augur
Patron
Clockwork Knight said:
latexmonkeys said:
Diablo's not that complicated. Ya kill stuff and lug loot back to town to sell. Half of that equation is now gone.

Well, plenty of games consist of killing stuff, and backtracking to sell loot is fucking boring anyway. No loss, it's like having grinding removed.
Wrong.
It's only removing half of the grinding. Hence my earlier point. :smug:

Gerrard

Arcane
Everything that Blizzard is doing with their game is aimed at bringing in a larger, more connected audience.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Konjad said:
Diablo II was too hardcore
Apparently monsters using Iron maiden were, among other things.

Unwanted

RaXz

Unwanted
More connected audience? Like online play or like people that are more connected in their brains?

I can't wrap my brain around that PR statement, I guess I am not connected enough.

tunguska

Liturgist
Well, it's just that my outrage meter is already pegged. Any more of these stories and I may explode like Chernobyl spewing radioactive hate and bitter bile for many miles and leaving my entire metro area a smoking pile of rubble and radioactive debris. :mob:

Luzur

Good Sir
If a player wants to get gold for their items while in the field they can just use a "scroll of wealth," he added.

wait, what? why just not remove loot totally.

Everything that Blizzard is doing with their game is aimed at bringing in a larger, more connected audience.

ah, now i understand, and the Scroll of Win will be in the DLC along with 350 new Steam Achievements.

catfood

AGAIN
Oh noes think of all the deep gameplay possibilities that will be missed by using the scroll instead of travelling back to town to sell your loot. Are you serious? It's not like money had any value in Diablo 2 in the first place.

Unwanted

RaXz

Unwanted
Luzur said:
If a player wants to get gold for their items while in the field they can just use a "scroll of wealth," he added.

wait, what? why just not remove loot totally.

I think they meant that you can transmute loot into gold via a scroll, hopefully with some sort of a penalty.

catfood

AGAIN
You could do the same thing in Dugeon Siege but you only got a percentage of the amount that you would normall get at a shop.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom