Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Witcher chit-chat with HomeLAN Fed

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Witcher, The

<a href="http://www.homelanfed.com/">HomeLAN Fed</a> has posted a pretty long <A href="http://www.homelanfed.com/index.php?id=24814">interview</a> with <b>Michal Kiciñski</b> about <A href="http://www.thewitcher.com/">The Witcher</a>. It covers basically just about all the basics of the game from combat to the setting to the Aurora engine and more. Here's one such thing:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>HomeLAN - What other unique gameplay elements will The Witcher have?
<br>
<br>
Michal Kiciñski</b> - Apart from the combat system there are other unique elements in the game. I think that the most important feature is that we want to tell a very deep story, and want to confront players with moral choices that influence the gameplay and lead to three different endings of the game. It is worth mentioning that you will be able to attack almost all NPCs, even those who are friendly towards you. Another interesting aspect of the game is the very idea for the main character whose combat prowess from the very beginning surpasses that of ordinary human.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
I like being able to attack NPCs. I never liked the inability to attack someone that's not hostile to me just to continue the pre-set story.
<br>

ichpokhudezh

Liturgist
I'm surprised he didn't say anything about potions which (along with magic and sword-wielding) play a dominant role in the witcher's trade.
BTW, isn't it good to have a setting where a good-natured killing machine will not be an oxymoron? :)

Reklar

Liturgist
Is this the game that uses a heavily modified version of the Aurora engine? If so, how did they get around the rotten NPC scripting & AI to create something playable?

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

Reklar

Liturgist
I thought the problem of scripting and AI was inherent with the Aurora engine itself and not simply a matter of implementation? Of the BioWare games I have played (none of which I've finished that I recall) I've admired some of the scripting in their games, but overall it seems fairly half-hearted, or at least rushed. Whether this is due to poor engine design or poor scripting abilities I don't know, but that is the gist of my question.

A number of people think Dave Gaider's add-ons for BG2 were very well scripted, but not having used any of them, since they were mostly geared towards high-level encounters I never reached, I can't say from personal experience. The fact that he could improve upon the existing scripting at all though makes me suspect that you are right in your assessment and it's simply a matter of poor scripting, not design error. I would be interested to know what people's opinions of this game are after they've played it awhile though, just in case you are right and it is all about BioWare. :)

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

Voss

Erudite
theres nothing particularly sadistic about it. Potentially unfriendly, and morally questionable, perhaps (depending on the situation), but not sadistic. Now, beating people almost to death, then healing them so you can do it again, thats mildly sadistic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom