Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Dragon Age II Preview Extravaganza

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age 2

<p>A few sites had some hands-on time with DA2 at PAX. Now they report their impressions.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Filefront is happy that Dragon Age 2 <a href="http://news.filefront.com/pax-2010-dragon-age-2-hands-on/" target="_blank">has been given a dose of God of War</a>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>What&rsquo;s different? Well, it basically just feels like you&rsquo;re kicking way more ass when you fight. Dragon Age 2 has been given a dose of God of War, so to speak. You can manually attack with &ldquo;A,&rdquo; which is much more visceral.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Wow! Kicking way more ass sounds awesome!</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>VG247 figured that <a href="http://www.vg247.com/2010/09/08/hands-on-dragon-age-2s-female-rogue-kicks-serious-ass/" target="_blank">playing a female Hawke</a> was a very satisfying experience.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>There were a few talents at my disposal as well, but my favorite had to be Whirlwind, which sends your character into a spin. My enemies didn&rsquo;t recover from this brutal assault with my dual short swords, and if you thought the first game was bloody, this one&rsquo;s doused in the lovely red goo.</p>
<p>There was also a teleporting attack I found useful, as well as the ability to cloak, stun and perform a rush attack. Still, Whirlwind was my favorite by far for handing out corporeal justice.</p>
</blockquote>
<p><a href="http://www.gamingangels.com/2010/09/bloody-goodness-with-dragon-age-2/" target="_blank">Gaming Angels have been told</a> that Dragon Age 2 will be <em>the most responsive game that BioWare has ever produced.</em></p>
<blockquote>
<p>Fight like a Spartan I did. Hawk&rsquo;s agile fluid movements cut through Darkspawn like light sabre through a Clone. The radial tactics system is still readily available but it&rsquo;s no longer as necessary as it used to be. Instead, it&rsquo;s useful to plan out your party&rsquo;s actions while your blades dance like a whirling Dervish. Your comrades in arms (your brother the warrior and your sister the apostate mage) are just as powerful. I&rsquo;ll be interested to see just how many improvements will be made to the Mage class, as I often found mages wildly difficult to control in Dragon Age: Origins.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Improved graphics, blood &amp; gore, kicking major ass and responsiveness to boot. What else can you ask for?</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/99657-dragon-age-ii-previews.html">GB</a></p>

MotB would have been the best action game ever if you had to repeatedly click on enemies to attack with each of your fighters. Arcanum combat would be massively improved as well.

Phelot

Arcane
I like how DA2 will improve everything about DA even though DA got near perfect scores. So what will DA2 get?

phelot said:
I like how DA2 will improve everything about DA even though DA got near perfect scores. So what will DA2 get?

It sounds like a shitty action game to me instead of improving on the first one.

:x

Achilles

Arcane
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Filefront is happy that Dragon Age 2 has been given a dose of God of War.

I assume it was in the form of an enema, as the game sounds pretty gay. Anyway, DA2 is going the way of ME2 (as predicted by pretty much everyone). Scratching it off the RPG list and waiting to see if it proves to be "good for what it is".

Der_Unbekannte

Educated
So why are we posting Console news?

Bioware stated that the console version will be more like God of War. Fine and great.
So I don't care about previews of the console versions, because (what a surprise) they will be more action-orientated.

Dig out some PC-Previews, so we can see if the "tactical"-combat is still in the PC-version.

Or maybe you post these previews for guaranteed butthurt. In that case: Carry on :M

Cassidy

Arcane
In 2025, someone here will be ranting about how Dragon Age 6 gameplay will consist exclusively of QTEs instead of the awesome third-person action with cover.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Responsive? Dance like a dervish? Hey, is Bioware starting to learn how to make non-anaemic combat?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm really digging those avatars on GamingAngels. Gorgeous Gaider groupies. He must make a killing at cons.

Oh yeah, and having to press a button to attack with the console version while keeping auto-attack on the PC version is a good thing. Go read the huge Gameplay/RPG Systems Questions thread on the Bioforums. Or don't, whatever.

waywardOne

Arcane
and i here i thought improvements to the franchise might include things like fewer plot tethers and firing zoeller.

Lingwe

Liturgist
which is much more visceral

Yep. I love hitting a button. Much more interesting. Much more...visceral. My small mind gets so easily distracted when I'm not allowed to button mash.

Rogue

Educated
Wait... So... Me press button A and Hawke attack? Me no understand, game too hard.

:decline:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom