Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Grimoire preview like thingy at RPGDot

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Grimoire

There's a <A href="http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=1016">preview like thingy</a> on <A href="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPGDot</a> based on a visit with <b>Cleve Blakemore</b> about <b><i>Grimoire</i></b>. Yeah, you heard right, <b><i>Grimoire</i></b>, a CRPG that's been considered vapourware before anyone ever muttered the words, <i>Duke Nukem Forever</i>. Anyway, here's a clip:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Cleve left LA for Australia in 1991, where together with Michael Shamgar, they began work on Grimoire a few years later. Now, after many stops, starts and re-starts, the game is nearly finished. That&#65533;s why, on an overcast, but otherwise pleasant morning, I found myself following Cleve down a hole in the ground to chat with him in the confines of the underground bomb shelter he&#65533;s building on the Australian Gold Coast. If nothing else, it&#65533;s providing research for his next big game, but more on that later.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Welp, let's hope for Cleve's sake, this game is good after all these years of waiting.
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>Dhruin</b>!
<br>

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Yeah, it's probably "Food". Then again, I never have cared much for micromanaging a CRPG down to the point where I need to drag lunch around in a dungeon. It's not bad in games like Nethack, but in most CRPGs, where you expect to live out and follow a story, it's annoying as hell. It often boils down to a timer forcing you to open your backpack periodically and use it if things are going well. If they aren't going well, then it sucks even more.

Ap_Jolly

Liturgist
Holy shit! I remember reading the early previews in a russian game mag. That was many years ago.

DemonKing

Arcane
Ap_Jolly said:
Holy shit! I remember reading the early previews in a russian game mag. That was many years ago.

I remember reading one of his early websites where the game was due in 1997 and the sequel in 1998!

Can't say the graphics have improved much from then either.

DamnElfGirl

Liturgist
I dunno, I like the cartoon-like quality of the graphics. If they can manage to make the style consistent throughout the game, that makes the graphics perfectly good in my book.

But then, I think the trend towards supposed photorealism in games is stupid.

Blackheart

Novice
That's not cartoonish, that's amateurish. Cartoonish is a stylized look, like Zelda Windwaker or that cell-shaded Robotech game. Grimoire isn't smart enough to have an art style, it's just an 8-bit game in a 64-bit world.

fnordcircle

Liturgist
Frowning at my monitor as I read your dumb post.
Blackheart said:
That's not cartoonish, that's amateurish. Cartoonish is a stylized look, like Zelda Windwaker or that cell-shaded Robotech game. Grimoire isn't smart enough to have an art style, it's just an 8-bit game in a 64-bit world.

I'll bet you are the sort of fellow that labels games like Baldur's Gate II and Chrono Trigger as old school.

It's people like you that cause developers to focus on presentation and not substance.

RGE

Liturgist
Role-Player said:
First-person, party-based, turnbased, dungeon crawling goodness with clear inspiration on Wizardry?

It sounds horrible. I played through Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder, but I could never muster the interest to play the sequels. Dungeon crawling just isn't roleplaying to me.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Well, i like dungeon crawling, to a degree, so this type of game interests me. It isn't roleplaying, but dungeon crawlers are never meant to be about roleplaying anyway (when they have some, it's just icing on the cake), so no harm done :)

Anonymous

It seems okay, if it's cheap and can be played in windowed mode, i'll buy it.

(And yes, it's FOO, I looked closely. It was Eye of the Beholder or Dungeon Hack that made you eat every now and then, if I remember right, so it figures it's being put into this game.)

Dhruin

Liturgist
They don't look any worse to me than most indie efforts such as Spiderweb's. I think Cleve knows his RPG stuff so there's a fair chance for a fun game. His wacky views on other things, however, that's another thing. :)

FrankHorrigan

Liturgist
Role-Player said:
Well, i like dungeon crawling, to a degree, so this type of game interests me. It isn't roleplaying, but dungeon crawlers are never meant to be about roleplaying anyway (when they have some, it's just icing on the cake), so no harm done :)

I thought myself Arx Fatalis was a great dungeon crawler with some good rpg'ing thrown in... It was not dungeon crawling on a colossal scale, but it was done very well.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
LlamaGod said:
(And yes, it's FOO, I looked closely. It was Eye of the Beholder or Dungeon Hack that made you eat every now and then, if I remember right, so it figures it's being put into this game.)

Dungeon Master, which Eye of the Beholder was a clone of, forced you to periodically eat every so often.

Anonymous

Saint_Proverbius said:
LlamaGod said:

Dungeon Master, which Eye of the Beholder was a clone of, forced you to periodically eat every so often.

I could never get DM to work, so I didnt know :( :( :( :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom