Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Fallout: New Vegas Meet the Companions

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout: New Vegas; Obsidian Entertainment

<p>Matt Grandstaff, Senior Community Manager of Bethesda Softworks <a href="http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/09/15/fallout-new-vegas-for-ps3-meet-the-companions/#more-35908" target="_blank">decided to post details</a> about the companions available in Fallout: New Vegas.</p>
<p>Here's an example:</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>Cass</strong></p>
<ul>
<li><strong>Full Name</strong>: Rose of Sharon Cassidy</li>
<li><strong>Sex</strong>: Female</li>
<li><strong>Race</strong>: Human</li>
<li><strong>Ethnicity</strong>: Caucasian</li>
<li><strong>Age</strong>: 37</li>
<li><strong>Profession</strong>: Water merchant, owner of Cassidy Caravans</li>
<li><strong>Perk</strong>: Whiskey Rose &ndash; While Cass is a companion, she and the player gain Damage Threshold when they drink Whiskey. Additionally, the player does not suffer intelligence loss from consuming alcohol and ignores the negative effects of alcohol addiction.</li>
<li><strong>Description</strong>: Worn down by years of hard luck and a recent rash of terrible misfortunes, Cass is a despondent merchant who&rsquo;s about to get out of the caravan business. She&rsquo;s smart, tough, and steady with a gun, but she hasn&rsquo;t been savvy enough to survive the ruthless caravan wars that have flared up in Nevada since NCR&rsquo;s expansion. Though she&rsquo;s quick to join up with the player for some easy money, she&rsquo;s still interested in finding out if she&rsquo;s been suffering from bad luck or something more sinister.</li>
</ul>
</blockquote>
<p>Not suffering intelligence loss from consuming alcohol. Is useful irl too.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#15789">RPGWatch</a></p>

nFn

Educated
Trying too hard with the character archetypes?

the two hundred years old schizophrenic/medicated/african/exvaultdwelller/grandma turned nightkin turned farmer turned adventurer sounds extremely ridiculous

still I expect it to be good for what it is :love:

laclongquan

Arcane
nFn said:
Trying too hard with the character archetypes?

the two hundred years old schizophrenic/medicated/african/exvaultdwelller/grandma turned nightkin turned farmer turned adventurer sounds extremely ridiculous

still I expect it to be good for what it is :love:

Trying too hard to impress, hm?

I dont know what the hell were you implying, not in a coherent manner, anyway.

As for Rose, hmmmm. Sound like the ghoul's combination of Way of the Fruit and the Fruit Perk. They were actually not too bad since I once try one ghoul just for this shit. +Str from fruits!

We simply shall have to see.

FeelTheRads

Arcane

Description: Though she now lives a peaceful life tending to Bighorners in the community of Jacobstown, Lily was once a Nightkin in The Master’s army. Before that, she was an elderly grandmother enjoying a simple life in Vault 17. Heavily medicated, Lily struggles with her dangerous schizophrenia and distant memories of her old life.

Yeah, I wonder what was he "implying".

Luzur

Good Sir
* Full Name: Cyber-Hound Mk. III, LEO Support Model, Serial Number B955883
* Sex: N/A
* Ethnicity: N/A
* Profession: Sidekick to The King
* Perk: Search and Mark – While Rex is a companion, unequipped chems, firearms, and ammunition within a short distance are highlighted when you zoom the camera.
* Description: Rex is a cybernetic dog that has been around since pre-war times. He was used by the Denver Police Department and Caesar’s Legion before being mostly blown up during the Battle of Hoover Dam. Since then, he’s been the loyal pet of The King of The Kings in Freeside. Capable of sniffing out loot and taking a large amount of punishment, he only has one (big) problem: his brain is starting to deteriorate.

they couldnt let Dogmeat rest, eh? and now he is pre-war too.

also:
This game could crash all day long and shoot me in the face every time it does, I don’t care. It’s Fallout. It looks good. Buying it day one.

talk about dedication.

FeelTheRads said:

Description: Though she now lives a peaceful life tending to Bighorners in the community of Jacobstown, Lily was once a Nightkin in The Master’s army. Before that, she was an elderly grandmother enjoying a simple life in Vault 17. Heavily medicated, Lily struggles with her dangerous schizophrenia and distant memories of her old life.

Yeah, I wonder what was he "implying".

Grandmother got turned into nightkin. I don't see what is so odd - in the FO setting, obviously - about that. They've stated that by FO:NV the remaining nightkin are running into serious side-effects from their earlier over-use of stealth-boys, and that the primary side-effect seems to be schizophrenia. So the schizophrenia is pretty much part of saying that she's a nightkin, except she's managing to hold it together more than most.

I can't really see how that's absurd.

VentilatorOfDoom said:
<p>Matt Grandstaff, Senior Community Manager of Bethesda Softworks <a href="http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/09/15/fallout-new-vegas-for-ps3-meet-the-companions/#more-35908" target="_blank">decided to post details</a> about the companions available in Fallout: New Vegas.</p>
<p>Here's an example:</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>Cass</strong></p>
<ul>
<li><strong>Full Name</strong>: Rose of Sharon Cassidy</li>
<li><strong>Sex</strong>: Female</li>
<li><strong>Race</strong>: Human</li>
<li><strong>Ethnicity</strong>: Caucasian</li>
<li><strong>Age</strong>: 37</li>
<li><strong>Profession</strong>: Water merchant, owner of Cassidy Caravans</li>
<li><strong>Perk</strong>: Whiskey Rose – While Cass is a companion, she and the player gain Damage Threshold when they drink Whiskey. Additionally, the player does not suffer intelligence loss from consuming alcohol and ignores the negative effects of alcohol addiction.</li>
<li><strong>Description</strong>: Worn down by years of hard luck and a recent rash of terrible misfortunes, Cass is a despondent merchant who’s about to get out of the caravan business. She’s smart, tough, and steady with a gun, but she hasn’t been savvy enough to survive the ruthless caravan wars that have flared up in Nevada since NCR’s expansion. Though she’s quick to join up with the player for some easy money, she’s still interested in finding out if she’s been suffering from bad luck or something more sinister.</li>
</ul>
</blockquote>
<p>Not suffering intelligence loss from consuming alcohol. Is useful irl too.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#15789">RPGWatch</a></p>

Ahh....but is there a companion that stops you from suffering intelligence loss from playing variants on Oblivion (Oblivion w/ guns, Oblivion w/guns + story)? Maybe Myron would have done that. I'm sure he would have had good taste in computer games.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Unless they fixed the fucking shitty NPC Companion AI, I don't see much point in ever using them.

Hoaxmetal said:
Trash said:
Well, the DLC for Fallout 3 actually did feel like being small expansions.
:retarded:

Trash's right. They presented new quests, areas, equipament, etc,and Broken Steel even continues the main story. They were aslo made available a few months after the game's release.

Whether you like the content or not is another matter.

Drakron

Arcane
Luzur said:
they couldnt let Dogmeat rest, eh? and now he is pre-war too.

They DID, Fallout 2 had K-9 and Robodog that are about the same as Rex, a Cyber-Hound, Fallout 2 also had Dogmeat.

Am I the only one that remembers the Fallout games WITHOUT the nostalgia Alzheimerinducing googles?

Oh and the Vault comment section is full of dumbfucks bitching about Dogmeat not being on it that just makes your comment even more ... how can I put this .... moronic?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Fallout 2 also had Dogmeat.

Am I the only one that remembers the Fallout games WITHOUT the nostalgia Alzheimerinducing googles?

You're certainly among those who can't understand the concept of easter eggs, because in Fallout 2 Dogmeat was in one of them.

Drakron

Arcane
FeelTheRads said:
You're certainly among those who can't understand the concept of easter eggs, because in Fallout 2 Dogmeat was in one of them.

Nice strayman.

I said you COULD get Dogmeat in Fallout 2, getting the Cafe of Broken Dreams random encounter was not terrible hard, even if it was a random chance.

Were exactly does that invalidates the FACT its still a follower? In FO3 its also a "easter egg" as its something off the beaten path as well, careful with the games you want to play because I am more that willing to take it up.

Pablosdog

Prophet
Strayman

That robo-dog seems the most interesting. My guess is that the doctor guy is voiced by Chandler Bing from Friends

Have to say, I'm a bit disappointed that the doc is the cliched good-guy-healer archetype - Obsidian can do better than that. I liked the take Avellone did on the techie-archetype with Myron, as useless as the git was in combat. If we're going to rip characters from common works/archetypes, surely we can at least do House rather than E.R.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom