Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News JoWooD Spent Their Last Quarter Randomly

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Gothic 4: Arcania; JoWood Productions

<p>Now it's been a while since my undergrad usuary &amp; money changing classes, but I think <a href="http://corporate.jowood.com/content/view/215/1/lang,en/" target="_blank">this means</a> JoWood is hosed if <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lj0r7e1mnU" target="_blank"><strong>ArcaniA</strong></a> flops.</p>
<blockquote>The managing board of publicly-listed JoWooD Entertainment AG yesterday notified the supervisory board that the losses set forth in the Q2 financial statements will probably equal or exceed half the share capital of JoWooD Entertainment AG. The main reasons are credits granted in connection with price reductions, returned goods and requirements for value adjustments related to games launched in the market last year.<br /><br />Accordingly, the managing board will call an extraordinary shareholders' meeting, in the course of which it will present the financial situation of the company as well as strategies and concrete measures for the successful continuation of the business.<br /><br />The completion of the interim financial statements for the second quarter of 2010, most recently announced for the end of September, will be postponed because material accounting and valuation issues could not be resolved in the course of drawing up the Q2 financials.<br /><br />The extraordinary shareholders' meeting will proably be held during the first half of November 2010. Until then, the creation of the financial statements should be at a stage sufficient to enable the shareholders' meeting to take appropriate measures on the basis of the Q2 financial statements.<br /><br />The launch of the game ArcaniA planned for 12 Oktober 2010 is not affected by the above. The game will score with numerous new features and JoWooD expects the new release to contribute significantly to the revenues in the second half of 2010.</blockquote>
<p><br /><br /><em>Thanks to Jaesun for the link</em></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

tetsuo

Scholar
God i really hope it flops, the demo is by far the most idiotic and dumbed down shit i ever played, it`s like the retardet stepbrother of oblivion.

Pablosdog

Prophet
Come on guys, these guys have jobs, a family to go-- ah fuck it.

I haven't played any gothic since number 2

From what i've heard I'm not really missing out...

Shannow

Waster of Time
Luzur said:
so will Piranha Bytes continue to make Gothic then?
Yes, it'll be called Risen 2 :smug:
(And I hope they improve combat and manage a constant high quality of dialogue and story, and drop that stupid Zelda-boss-battle-bullshit.)

Shannow said:
Luzur said:
so will Piranha Bytes continue to make Gothic then?
Yes, it'll be called Risen 2 :smug:
(And I hope they improve combat and manage a constant high quality of dialogue and story, and drop that stupid Zelda-boss-battle-bullshit.)

Someone really ought to mod a new starting intro movie into Risen, showing the hero from Gothic 3 taking the neutral ending and stepping through the portal going into the start of Risen. It's basically Gothic 4 in all but name.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Jason said:
Now it's been a while since my undergrad usuary & money changing classes, but I think this means JoWood is hosed if ArcaniA flops.

So they're screwed already then?

Micmu

Magister
I wanted to say something edgy, like "I hope they hit a mine or two while they're sinking at the bottom", then I realized I just don't care.
Decent developers might find another publishers, like PB did, but it was clear that joowood just wasn't it anymore. Just look at what they turned Gothic series into. and now RetardiA

micmu said:
I wanted to say something edgy, like "I hope they hit a mine or two while they're sinking at the bottom", then I realized I just don't care.
Decent developers might find another publishers, like PB did, but it was clear that joowood just wasn't it anymore. Just look at what they turned Gothic series into. and now RetardiA

Indeed. They have went the same way as many publishers before them. When I think of the Silent Storm games, the 2 Gothic games, and a number of others besides, I feel a need to salute the sinking vessel for what it once gave.

Mind you, I wouldn't try to stop the cannonade. Just salute after the inevitable happens.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Luzur said:
atleast we have Risen.

If we didn't, I would rage about Gothic 4 a lot more. I can't imagine the rage I would feel in that case, as even the current one is one of the biggest game-related rages I've had in the last few years.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Blackadder said:
micmu said:

Indeed. They have went the same way as many publishers before them. When I think of the Silent Storm games, the 2 Gothic games, and a number of others besides, I feel a need to salute the sinking vessel for what it once gave.

Mind you, I wouldn't try to stop the cannonade. Just salute after the inevitable happens.

Why? They were just publishers and not very good ones at that. Nival and PB were responsible for those games. If it wasn't Jowood publishing it would have been someone else. You also forgot to mention another good series Spellforce. Shows what a bunch of cheap morons Jowood are that the next Spellforce game(yet another expansion) is being made by the same shitty Indian company 'Trine' as made the Gothic 3 Forsaken Gods POS! All they are doing is cashing in on their brand names on the cheap desperate to screw the more gullible out of their moneys.

-Garrett-

Novice
Azrael the cat said:
Someone really ought to mod a new starting intro movie into Risen, showing the hero from Gothic 3 taking the neutral ending and stepping through the portal going into the start of Risen. It's basically Gothic 4 in all but name.
Piranha Bytes actually planned to do almost exactly that, as revealed by the intro storyboards, with the only difference being that Risen's hero was always intended to be a new character.

The intro didn't make it into the final game in this form, of course, but many other references did, such as the unseen pirate captain Gregorius Steelbeard (or "Greg" as the game calls him internally); the ending indicates he might even show up in the flesh in Risen II.

commie said:
Blackadder said:
micmu said:

Why? They were just publishers and not very good ones at that. Nival and PB were responsible for those games. If it wasn't Jowood publishing it would have been someone else. You also forgot to mention another good series Spellforce. Shows what a bunch of cheap morons Jowood are that the next Spellforce game(yet another expansion) is being made by the same shitty Indian company 'Trine' as made the Gothic 3 Forsaken Gods POS! All they are doing is cashing in on their brand names on the cheap desperate to screw the more gullible out of their moneys.

I don't see anyone else publishing these types of games, except the new Gothics (Risen). JA3, originally slated as a TB system...no publisher. Arx Fatalis 2...couldn't find a publisher. Etc, etc...

The rest of your post talks about what Jowood became. I agreed with this and it was never part of my point.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Regardless of who was at fault for Gothic 3, Jowood was the publisher and sold it to people. It was technically broken and unplayable for many of us. Releasing busted software was Jowoods choice. It took a year of community patches to make the game playable. It shows you what kind of company they are and this isn't a surprise.

I don't wish anyone to fail unless they deserve it and based on their past actions, I have no sympathy for them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom