Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Troika's post-apocalyptic screenshots at NMA!

Ausir

Arcane
Tags: Troika Games

<a target=_blank href=http://www.nma=fallout.com>No Mutants Allowed</a> has just released 2 exclusive screenshots (<a target=_blank href=http://www.nma-fallout.com/images/games/troika/post_05_b.jpg>1</a> & <a target=_blank href=http://www.nma-fallout.com/images/games/troika/post_06_b.jpg>2</a>) from a tech demo of <a target=_blank href=http://www.troikagames.com>Troika</a>'s post-apocalyptic cRPG, some art for which by Chris Glenn we <a href=http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2251>posted about in september</a>. Due to recent developments, the game, which might have been made into Fallout 3 if Bethseda didn't buy the license, is currently on hold.
<br>

<br>
Looks like they made just as much of the game as the Van Buren team did...

errorcode

Liturgist
well, it looks pretty decent for a tech demo.. Let's hope they get the game back on track.

Spazmo

Erudite
Hey, thanks a million to Bethesda for cockblocking Troika from using an engine they already had and a design doc they already had to make the game we actually want! YOU GUYS ARE TERRIFIC!

DemonKing

Arcane
Why don't they just release it as something other than a Fallout game?

As the rabid FO fans beating down Bethsheba's door illustrate, the FO licence is more of a loadstone these days than a blessing...I'm sure they could release something "In the spirit of FO" just as FO was "In the spirit of Wasteland" with moderate success.

Araanor

Liturgist
DemonKing said:
Funding. They had it for their hypothetical Fallout 3. They don't appear to have it for another PA RPG currently.

Bobbin

Novice
DemonKing said:

As the rabid FO fans beating down Bethsheba's door illustrate, the FO licence is more of a loadstone these days than a blessing...I'm sure they could release something "In the spirit of FO" just as FO was "In the spirit of Wasteland" with moderate success.

Yes, I would also like to see this game as something new - which will probably be more fun than Bethesda's take at Fallout. I don't care if Fallout is tagged on it, I don't care if vaults are called bunkers, I don't care if I see Harold again - I just want something which feels like Fallout. And I think this game would have much more of a chance to get there. Go for it, Troika!

@Bethesda: You could save yourself lots of trouble by just letting Troika develop Fallout 3. They already have stuff done and are just waiting to get things rolling. And at least they can answer some easy questions about perspective ;)

Ausir

Arcane
Let's hope that's the reason why it's on hold, not anything more...

Nightjed

Liturgist
Troika wouldnt have started it without the fallout license if they were planning on canceling in case of losing the bid, it doesnt *have to* have the fallout name to be a good game.

maybe they want to develop the game full/semi independently and need the bloodlines income

Jora

Arcane
If Bloodlines does well Activision might be willing to publish this one.

Seven

Erudite
There are a lot of if-s and maybe-s here. Why don't we just wait for an official/unofficial word from Troika. I've enjoyed both of their games thus far (yes I even enjoyed TOEE to a certain degree), so this one'll probably be the best yet if they do end up going a head with it.

I really, really hate it when we're right. Wonder if all the Bethesda fanboys who said "be grateful you're actually getting a FO3 because this is the only way it's happening" will be around to eat crow. Probably not, the FOBOS apologists never were when it turned out all our "jumping to conclusions" turned out to be 100% correct.

Voss

Erudite
Major_Blackhart said:
Are they waiting for Bloodlines to be completed or something, before they work on this game further?

I think this is part of it- most everyone at troika is probably tied into getting Bloodlines out the door at the moment. Hopefully nothing else is in the way, though with Bethesda definitely doing FO3, they'd have to do it as an original post-apoc. Unless they license gamma world (in which case they might as well blow their brains out now)

Shevek

Arcane
The guy in that picture is holding a halberd. I dont think those are from a Fallout game. It looks more like the Dune-like concept art we saw a while ago. I would say this is probably an original post apoc game and that development of it will kick into full swing after Bloodlines.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
MasterfulArt.JPG

Briosafreak

Augur
Araanor said:
DemonKing said:
Funding. They had it for their hypothetical Fallout 3. They don't appear to have it for another PA RPG currently.

They just had it, doesn`t mean it would be for a Fallout game. But the funding would be JUST for a Fallout game, so it`s on hold, now that they lost the race.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Looks good... for what little we have... :? I already like it more than Vampire. :D

Spazmo

Erudite
About the halberd thing: since this is just a tech demo, it's likely that it's simply a modified ToEE engine, which, of course, had halberds in it. Given that the way he holds the weapon is similar to how they are held by characters in ToEE, it's probably just a placeholder deal. And remember, Fallout had spears. Granted, those were mostly just sharpened flints tied to sticks and a halberd is much trickier to manufacture, but hey.

Stark

Liturgist
so this is their secret project all along?

now that Bethesda is making FO3 (plus The Fall, another PA rpg) I do not think making another PA game makes good business sense. Troika may have difficulty finding funding that way.

I hope they're moving into something new. A Dune-like setting sounds interesting. But even if it turns out to be PA I'll probably still buy it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom