Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info OMEGA SYNDROME mutates to turn based combat

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Australian Game Developers; David Moffatt; Omega Syndrome

<A href="http://www.ausgamedev.com/omegasyndrome/">Omega Syndrome</a> has posted an update about their shareware CRPG set in a conspiracy laden future dealing with secret labs and alien goodness. Because of numerous requests, the author has decided to impliment <b>turn based combat</b>. Here's the big news:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>WHAT'S NEW?
<br>
<br>
Last Engine Update!</b>
<br>
This really is the last update to the engine. I really mean it this time! Honest! :) Unfortunately due to the turn based combat addition, your old save games will not work in Version 1.9, so you will have to delete them and start again.
<br>
<br>
<b>Turn Based Combat!</b>
<br>
After thousands of requests I decided to create a turn based engine. Now you can take your time in combat and think hard about your next move. This simple change makes the game far more interesting for the player that likes to think strategically. You can do things like pop around a corner and attack and then use your remaining action points to take cover. You can also use your action points to attack a ranged target and take a couple of steps forward, or attack a closer target with your knife.
<br>
<br>
<b>Special Notes:</b>
<br>
<ul><li>Unused action points are used to increase your effective armour class.</li><li>To end your turn in combat, you must press the space bar.</li></ul></blockquote>
<br>
<br>
<i>W00T!</i> Turn based combat, and only <b>$15</b> to boot. Check out the <a href="http://www.ausgamedev.com/omegasyndrome/files.html">demo</a>.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I decided to take a few screenshots of the demo of this game I played briefly. In all honesty, the game's been much improved since I originally played it. For one thing, the game SMACKS of Fallout in a lot of areas. Most of it is combat driven, as you can see from the character creation screen, and it's highly unpolished in several areas. Over all, though, it's fairly neat.

Weapons work very similar to how they wored in Fallout. You have aimed shots, you have weapon modes, and so forth. This game borrows a lot from Fallout, right down to most of the interface conventions. Very interesting little game.

Jed

Cipher
Shame about the lack of non-combat skills. Still, it looks like it could be a fun game. Another demo on the queue for the weekend, I suppose.

The graphics look so-so, but the 2d art looks really cool, kinda like that in Geneforge.

Jinxed

Liturgist
What? Turn based combat? WTF? No one wants turn based combat. Devs should really listen to the fans, register the imput, and make sequels like the fans really want! (ufo: aftershock)

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
I guess, this fact earns some honor-points - I have heard of few games that have migrated from real-time to turn-based combat "due to player requests". Kewl.

And, barrowing something from Fallout - that's just nice.

PS:
Am I the only one who sees Interface-bar aka HUD being not transparent? I mean, black rectangle and freeform HUD inside it...wtf? Its not so hard to make transparent background...and even if its on purpose (to decrease objects on screen count), then it would be more reasonable to use other design for HUD...c'mon - its not so hard afterall :).

Linedog

Novice
Looks Good

Thanks for the screenshots. Turn based and the graffics look good enough. I'm sold. As soon as I get moved to new residence I'm gonna give this game a whirl.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom