Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dungeon Lords demo on September 1st

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Dungeon Lords

There should be a demo of <A href="http://www.DungeonLords.com">Dungeon Lords</a> released at the beginning of next month according to <A href="http://www.dreamcatchergames.com/">Dreamcatcher</a>. Here's the info:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Toronto, Ontario, August 19, 2004. DreamCatcher Games today announced the long-awaited demo of Dungeon Lords will be available for download at the game’s official site, <A href="http://www.DungeonLords.com">www.DungeonLords.com</a>, on September 1, 2004.
<br>
<br>
This single and multiplayer demo will feature <u>180MB of incredible gameplay</u>, giving the public a taste of gaming’s first Combat RPG. They’ll test their sword skills against ghouls, make jabs at ugly ogres and when they’re done with that they’ll hit dark mages with blistering balls of fire. All the while exploring incredibly detailed dungeons and stunning outdoor environments.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Looks like we don't have to wait long to see if we were right about this one.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blue's News</A>

FrankHorrigan

Liturgist
"180MB of incredible gameplay" ? Its good to know that we now have a quantative measurement to guage gameplay by, those old interactive movies that came on 6 cd's must have been really good. Theirs supposed to be a Rome Total War demo coming out on monday, thats something to get excited about. (i hope i dont have to eat those words)

Voss

Erudite
The subtext in that second paragraph is truly, truly disturbing.

FrankHorrigan

Liturgist
DamnElfGirl said:
Toronto, Ontario? Ha! I didn't know I could go across town and laugh at them in person!

Do you think you could go over and ask for on a refund on the furry fetish simulator wizards & warriors that i was niave enough to buy?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
FrankHorrigan said:
"180MB of incredible gameplay" ? Its good to know that we now have a quantative measurement to guage gameplay by, those old interactive movies that came on 6 cd's must have been really good.

Yeah, you have to love overly stupid hype. Does that mean the executable is 180MB? How big is the data file then?

Spazmo

Erudite
First combat RPG? They're really just renaming the action RPG. Okay, then, I'm the first ever live online event notifier--all the other jerks are just web reporters.

DamnElfGirl--you shouldn't be suprised. Everything in Toronto kinda sucks.

</montrealer>

Dhruin

Liturgist
I've been told this has more potential than Bradley's marketing might lead you to believe, particularly for Gothic fans. On the other hand, the preview version looked rather unfinished....we shall see.

Stark

Liturgist
Dhruin said:
I've been told this has more potential than Bradley's marketing might lead you to believe, particularly for Gothic fans.

I had a look over their website. nothing there convince me it's similar to Gothic. ermm, care to elaborate?

for me it's the "liveliness" of the environment and npc, plus some of the dialog, that makes me a Gothic fan. none of the screenshots at Dungeon Lord website feature any dialog at all.

DemonKing

Arcane
The only way this might be good is if it somehow manages to be a cross between Die By the Sword and Arx Fatalis...strangely I'm not starting to get my hopes up just yet!

DamnElfGirl

Liturgist
Spazmo said:
DamnElfGirl--you shouldn't be suprised. Everything in Toronto kinda sucks.

Eh, I'm not going to argue, I'm not a native. Toronto's pretty fun in the summer, though. Lots of street festivals and such. For the rest of the year, yeah, it kind of sucks.

Gorath

Novice
Stark said:
Dhruin said:
I've been told this has more potential than Bradley's marketing might lead you to believe, particularly for Gothic fans.

I had a look over their website. nothing there convince me it's similar to Gothic. ermm, care to elaborate?

for me it's the "liveliness" of the environment and npc, plus some of the dialog, that makes me a Gothic fan. none of the screenshots at Dungeon Lord website feature any dialog at all.

Dhruin refers to the things I told after my visit to DTP in Hamburg. You have to imagine you´re sitting in front of a screen for more than an hour and a product manager, who knows as much about the game as you can without being a member of the dev team, keeps talking to you the whole time - because as long as he is talking you have to interrupt him to ask critical questions. ;)
My impression was that DL is a mix of Gothic and Morrowind with action-packed combat on top. It reminded me of Rune due to the short, explosive bursts of action. The controls seemed very responsive, without Gothic´s lag.
The newbie-friendliness is achieved through optional automatic char development.

We will know in 2 weeks if all this is true. Especially the Gothic influence should be taken with a grain of salt. Gothic is by far the most popular RPG franchise in Germany. "Being like Gothic" is good for your sales. ;)
At least the product manager almost got a heart attack when I asked him "Bradley always refers to the action packed combat. Is DL a Diablo clone?". He looked a bit confused and said the game has nothing in common with Diablo.

Stark

Liturgist
Gorath said:
We will know in 2 weeks if all this is true. Especially the Gothic influence should be taken with a grain of salt. Gothic is by far the most popular RPG franchise in Germany. "Being like Gothic" is good for your sales. ;)
At least the product manager almost got a heart attack when I asked him "Bradley always refers to the action packed combat. Is DL a Diablo clone?". He looked a bit confused and said the game has nothing in common with Diablo.

aye. thanks for the reply. personally i think it's just marketing people trying to make association to help sales, since nothing over their website makes me associate it with Gothic.

anyway as you said, we shall see in 2 weeks. :)

The only way this might be good is if it somehow manages to be a cross between Die By the Sword and Arx Fatalis...strangely I'm not starting to get my hopes up just yet

huh? Die By the Sword control requires a third person view, while Arx is very much a first person view game...

but do you mean the control mechanism of DBtS plus magic casting in Arx....?

btw I suck in fights in DBtS. I resorted to the easier control mechanism, though I've heard very good things about sword play using mouse strokes. never mastered it.

DemonKing

Arcane
Stark said:
huh? Die By the Sword control requires a third person view, while Arx is very much a first person view game...

but do you mean the control mechanism of DBtS plus magic casting in Arx....?

btw I suck in fights in DBtS. I resorted to the easier control mechanism, though I've heard very good things about sword play using mouse strokes. never mastered it.

Sorry - I meant the combat style of DBtS and the role-playing of Arx Fatalis (not the spell system, which I hated).

Basically there are very few 3D hand-to-hand combat systems which I find satisfactory, DBtS being one of the few exceptions.

Did you ever try to play DBtS with a joystick? Once I'd mastered it the joystick rocked for making perfectly timed/weighted swings.

Stark

Liturgist
DemonKing wrote:
Did you ever try to play DBtS with a joystick? Once I'd mastered it the joystick rocked for making perfectly timed/weighted swings.

it was quite some years ago. I think I did try using joystick but I never really mastered it. Sad, I know. It's suppose to be immensely fun sword play if you master the control. But I managed to complete the game (being so short) using the simpler control hence I felt no need to relearn the control.

on a related note, it's sad they did not make any sequels and no one adopt the same control mechanism for subsequent games.

I meant the combat style of DBtS and the role-playing of Arx Fatalis

I'm not too sure about that. quite a few in this forum here would prefer crpg combat that do not rely heavily on gamer's eye-hand coordination. personally I think I'll be sufficiently intrigued to check out if any such games come out into the market. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom