Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Feargus chats with HomeLan

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Feargus Urquhart; Neverwinter Nights 2; Obsidian Entertainment

Feargus <a href=http://www.urquhart.org/>Urquhart</a> of the <a href=http://www.obsidianent.com>Obsidian Clan</a> had a <a href=http://www.homelanfed.com/index.php?id=25591>little chat</a> with <a href=http://www.homelanfed.com>HomeLAN</a> about the mother of all RPGs, <b>NWN 2</b>:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>What can we expect in terms of new and improved gameplay?</b>
<br>
<br>
There are a whole bunch of things that we are focusing on when it comes to gameplay, however the two areas that we are going to spend the most time on are companion control and the interface. We want to have your companions not only react more intelligently in combat, but really have them play a part in the story of the game, much in the way party members affected the game in Baldur's Gate 2. For the more hardcore D&D fan, we're bringing the game to the 3.5 edition rules, plus a whole lot more that we just can't talk about quite yet!</blockquote>3.5 Edition is for the hardcore DnD fans! Would there be a 2E option for the casual players then?
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>Finally is there anything else you wish to say about Neverwinter Nights 2?</b>
<br>
<br>
It's kind of geeky, but we are incredibly excited about working on Neverwinter Nights 2. We really think that with the time Atari has given us to make the game, we are going to make a worthy sequel to one of the best RPG products ever released.</blockquote>NWN was one of the best RPG products evar?
<br>
<br>
<br>

DrattedTin

Liturgist
Well he did say "one of the best".

Which brings up the interesting caveat that there haven't been many rocking RPGs in total, which means if you're compiling a list and you need X Best Games in the RPG Genre, it could sneak in.

Mathematics promoting mediocrity. :D

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
NWN was one of the best RPG products evar?

I'd have to agree NWN is, indeed, one of the best RPG products, but it's certainly not one of the best roleplaying games ever, quite the contrary.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Ah, I see, it's a lame RPG but at the same time, it's one of the best RPG products, that's used to make truckloads of other lame RPGs. Makes sense.

Surlent

Liturgist
Wow, the man knows how to spell carefully.
Another well done review for Feargie.
The man just keeps scoring and gaining points.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Ah, I see, it's a lame RPG but at the same time, it's one of the best RPG products, that's used to make truckloads of other lame RPGs. Makes sense.

Speaking for myself, I've said time and again that I feel NWN is divided into two aspects: the singleplayer official campaign (which we've all flogged to death), and the rest of the package (Toolset, DM Client, and online capability). When someone refers to NWN as a product, I assume they're refering to these specific elements, or to all of them; but they're not refering just to the game.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Ok, let me rephrase then. I assume that what you wrote implies that NWN is a good editor (and other related crap) that produces good RPG (modules), and, therefore, is one of the best RPG products. Since I returned my copy many moons ago, can you tell me how many good RPGs, created with the one of the best RPG products evar, you have played and name a few?

RGE

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
3.5 Edition is for the hardcore DnD fans! Would there be a 2E option for the casual players then?

Why would there be a 2E option for anyone? 2E should be drawn and quartered, or possibly flung away with such force that it leaves our solar system. That classbased system has had enough bad influence on fantasy gaming. Calling skills "Non-weapon proficiencies" says it all. "What, so I use these outside of combat???" :lol:

With loosened up multiclassing and proper skills, 3rd edition is a step in the right direction. But classless and skillbased is the only way to fly. Still, I've had a lot of fun with NWN, since it provided me with a lot of actual roleplaying (as opposed to playing a singleplayer game with no other players to interact with). NWN is a good balance between the standard MMORPG and PnP gaming, so I consider it one of the best RPG products. Judging by the amount of time it kept me content, it's the best, and that's all because of the editor and the people who've used it to create worlds for me to play in.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Role-Player said:
There's actually no need to assume anything based on what I wrote, as it was quite clear.
Then tell me what makes the editor one of the best RPG products. Otherwise, it sounds like an empty statement about the obvious. We all know that NWN is more then the OC, but the fact that there was an editor that many people tinkered with doesn't make it a good RPG product. If it was, we'd have heard about and discussed at least a few fantastic modules out of tens of thousands (or whatever) created. Unfortunately, the limitations of the toolset is known much better then great modules.

RGE said:
Why would there be a 2E option for anyone
Joke. Feargus said that for hardcore fans there will be 3.5E. It sounded like anything less then 3.5 isn't hardcore enough.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Then tell me what makes the editor one of the best RPG products.

Again, I wasn't refering to the toolset only.

Otherwise, it sounds like an empty statement about the obvious.

What do you believe to be obvious, the product's value? If so, why question it?

We all know that NWN is more then the OC, but the fact that there was an editor that many people tinkered with doesn't make it a good RPG product.

That's right, it doesn't. That's because the toolset, the DM client, the online capability, and overal ease of use all in the same package, coupled with continued support, are what make it good.

RGE

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Joke. Feargus said that for hardcore fans there will be 3.5E. It sounded like anything less then 3.5 isn't hardcore enough.

Well, giving him the benefit of the doubt, I'd say it means that only the hardcore gamers would know about and care about the upgrade from 3.0 to 3.5. I understood that you meant it as a joke, and therefore it seemed as if you meant that hardcore gamers would really prefer 2E. And considering the popularity of "good old fashioned gaming" in this forum, it wouldn't have surprised me if there were some tyrannosaurus rexes around here who thought of 2E as the preferable kind of "good old fashioned gaming". ;)

tilting_msh

Formerly Judas
Patron
Codex 2012
RGE said:
Vault Dweller said:

Well, giving him the benefit of the doubt, I'd say it means that only the hardcore gamers would know about and care about the upgrade from 3.0 to 3.5.
That's what I thought it meant as well.

BUT, the Codex tradition of posting a bit of news, and then adding a witty/sarcastic/negative remark afterwards had to be maintained, so I think VD did his best, considering the circumstances...

FrankHorrigan

Liturgist
Judas said:
BUT, the Codex tradition of posting a bit of news, and then adding a witty/sarcastic/negative remark afterwards had to be maintained, so I think VD did his best, considering the circumstances...

If Developers, Publishers, Gaming "Journalists" & self proclaimed experts cut the bullshit out of their Interviews, Reviews, Hype & Ramblings, i imagine their would be alot less witty/saracastic/negative remarks, Dont you think? Cause and Effect.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Dammit. Since when is NWN one of the best rpg's ever released? He is obviously not targeting us with his bullshit because we KNOW NWN blows and so will NWN2.

Stark

Liturgist
Dammit. Since when is NWN one of the best rpg's ever released? He is obviously not targeting us with his bullshit because we KNOW NWN blows and so will NWN2.

we are going to make a worthy sequel to one of the best RPG products ever released

1) notice the word "product"?
2) what makes you come to conclusion that if NWN blows NWN2 will blow?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Role-Player said:
Speaking for myself, I've said time and again that I feel NWN is divided into two aspects: the singleplayer official campaign (which we've all flogged to death), and the rest of the package (Toolset, DM Client, and online capability). When someone refers to NWN as a product, I assume they're refering to these specific elements, or to all of them; but they're not refering just to the game.

I dunno, I never thought the online for NWN was that terribly hot. It's really not that great if there's no DM. It's basically NWN with people to talk with, and talking with people while playing NWN still isn't that much of a rewarding experience. You still have to deal with the crappy interface and combat, after all.

kosie99

Novice
For me, NWN is the best game I ever spent money on (and I buy all my games). I am still playing it regularly and I guess I will only move on to something else when NWN2 is released. Till then, I still have lots of playing and building to do in the original. And then we have DD, CODI and DLA in the pipeline as well.

It must piss all 14 of you veteran Codex members off that NWN is doing so well.

Oh well, you still have PS:T and the BGs to replay for the umpteenth time, so no need to to bother with NWN, right?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Your deliberate attempt to troll us has been rather futile. I see no reason as to why it would piss me off that NWN is doing so well. As much as I dislike NWN, I must say 'more power to Bioware'. They are at least delivering Dragon Age, which is a game I look forward to. If it wasn't for the success of NWN we'd probably be looking at the development of far less RPGs, especially if the 'industry' decided that RPGs weren't worthwhile ventures.

As the old saying goes, "With every cloud there is a silver lining."

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
I dunno, I never thought the online for NWN was that terribly hot. It's really not that great if there's no DM. It's basically NWN with people to talk with, and talking with people while playing NWN still isn't that much of a rewarding experience. You still have to deal with the crappy interface and combat, after all.

I agree with that. It should be pointed best RPG-related product until now doesn't mean its perfect... because it really isn't. Hopefully NWN2 will improve on that.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I'd kill for a killer toolkit in NWN2. NWN's, while certainly capable, left me wanting. The lack of a world map editor really bugged me.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
NWN rocks. Only game I've susatined playing a fair amount for more than 6 months... and it's been two years. WOWSERS!

And, NWN2 will presumably improve the (many) things NWN did wrong.

Long live NWN!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom