Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Fallout: New Vegas Soon To Be Less Wonky

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout: New Vegas; Obsidian Entertainment

<p>The Bethblog <a href="http://bethblog.com/index.php/2010/11/05/more-news-on-new-vegas-updates/">announces</a> that there are patches about to be released.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>We wanted to give you guys a heads-up regarding the latest progress on Fallout: New Vegas updates.<br /><br />We&rsquo;ve come up with solutions for the Xbox 360 save issue folks are reporting, along with a number of other issues being reported. We&rsquo;re currently running final testing and certification on a comprehensive patch for all three platforms (PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3), so we&rsquo;ll have something available in the coming weeks. When we have more details, we&rsquo;ll let you know.<br /><br />In the meantime, an incremental update for PC should be going up by early next week that will fix the save corruption issues and problems with companions, as well as improve performance for NVIDIA users and resolve some issues reported with Havok.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/?rwsiteid=1#16109">RPGWatch</a></p>

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Mister Arkham said:
Well that's nice. I still haven't run into any bugs though.

I had one bug in my 65 hour first playthrough.

But it was made by Obsidian, so it must be a buggy piece of shit according to reviewers.

Silellak

Cipher
I've run into a few quest bugs, but nothing that couldn't be dealt with with a re-load or with a quick look-up on the Fallout Wiki.

Annoying, but nothing game-breaking...yet. Poor console players and their inability to use the in-game command-line to fix shit, though.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Shannow said:
DalekFlay said:
I haven't encountered bugs personally so everyone who has must be wrong.
:thumbsup:

According to many reviews it's a bug-riddled mess you can barely play, so you would think I might have seen more than one minor bug in 65 hours.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if some reviewers just wrote their reviews based off some preview material and the assumption that it would be buggy because it's an Obsidian game.

DalekFlay said:
According to many reviews it's a bug-riddled mess you can barely play, so you would think I might have seen more than one minor bug in 65 hours.

I haven't noticed any serious bugs on my first playthrough. Second time around though, I had several quest bugs I had to fix with console commands, one of those broke the main quest (Platinum chip disappeared), companions suddenly disappearing with my stuff and remaining gone for quite some time and quite a few of minor glitches I haven't experienced the first time. Before I thought all these bugs people are reporting are due to them sucking at maintaining their PC's, now I'm not so sure.

Every game is a bugged piece of shit because someone, somewhere, will find a bug

---

Anyway, as long as the updates don't become "oh hai we just aded new achievements 4 teh DLC but we fucked some other stuff, sry" like with FO3, I'm happy.Theunofficial patch apparently breaks more than it fixes, according to the comments.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
DalekFlay said:
Shannow said:
DalekFlay said:
I haven't encountered bugs personally so everyone who has must be wrong.
:thumbsup:

Same here (I've already finished 1 game). Besides the random crashes, no problems for me either.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Clockwork Knight said:
Theunofficial patch apparently breaks more than it fixes, according to the comments.
I remember the days of Morrowind and Oblivion when unofficial patches were even more useful than the real thing. :decline: of modders.

Drakron

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
.The unofficial patch apparently breaks more than it fixes, according to the comments.
Its not really the Unofficial patch but throwing a lot of other "patches" into the same .esp.

Quan did Oblivion and Fallout 3 unofficial patch (at least, he was head team) so things were done correctly, no such thing exists for New Vegas yet.

Also the fact it seems the people that do the "fixes" seem to unable to REMOVE THE PRE-ORDER DLC before they start the fixing is not really inspire much confidence on their skills ...

Dantus12

Educated
Random crashes,nothing big,got stuck twice,however patch might solve the crashing.

Aren't crashes an accepted reality of gaming by now? At least PC gaming? Shit, Fallout 1 and 2 after all the fixing still crash on me more often than New Vegas does. Am I the only unlucky one?

Shannow

Waster of Time
Multidirectional said:
Aren't crashes an accepted reality of gaming by now? At least PC gaming? Shit, Fallout 1 and 2 after all the fixing still crash on me more often than New Vegas does. Am I the only unlucky one?
What are you trying to get at?
That devs should put even less effort into QA because buggy games are acceptable?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Getting bugs alongside a gem is worth it.

Anyway, crashes aside, I've had a single bug. It was a rather bizarre one as well. I killed the guy who owed money to the Garrets, went inside the Gomorrah. The game always crashed on me when leaving Gomorrah, UNTIL I PUT ON THE HAT OF THE GUY I KILLED (wtf).

Shannow said:
What are you trying to get at?
That devs should put even less effort into QA because buggy games are acceptable?

Yes, I was conducting a conspiracy of making bugs acceptable and you got me.. Why read so much into things? I was only talking about crashes.

Drakron

Arcane
Oh I read about that one ... it happens if you kill that guy and enter the strip, I guess its some bizarre reference to the hat in the strip worldcell.

Lord Haw Haw

Educated
Mister Arkham said:
Well that's nice. I still haven't run into any bugs though.

I haven't either but man is it a breath of fresh air to have a Beth published game where the response to bug complaints isn't weeks of prickish silence.

Black

Arcane
There are bugs, but no game-breaking bugs or even ones that make a quest fail, at least in my experience.
The one time I thought that the game was bugged and an NPC disappeared was then I had to go find a guy from gun runners. The NPC wasn't there for 24h so I figured out he had to disappear.
Turned out he had been sitting in his house all the time. Lazy fuck.

Antihero

Liturgist
Besides the occassional game freezing, I haven't seen any other problems on the technical side yet. But it seems like half the BoS plotlines are screwed up unless you have a certain plot-related companion with you - as if they just assumed you'd have them. Not to dump spoilers, but I don't even know how I got them to finally stop trying to kill me on sight when I was supposed to meet them (wasn't wearing any faction armour either). Some of it's probably from jumping into a quest part way.

Felix

Arcane
Hey, I installed New Vegas in 4 PC and none of them encounter any significant bugs :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom