Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Next Elder Scrolls game hinted at

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

The <a href=http://www.elderscrolls.com/splash/index.htm>Elder Scrolls</a> website now hosts a teaser image likely related to the upcoming Elder Scrolls IV, believed to be titled Oblivion. Supporting the idea that the teaser is related to ES4 is the new "Next Elder Scrolls Discussion" forum that's been opened at Bethesda. No word on Fallout 3 or any other Bethesda projects.<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover</A>

Whipporowill

Erudite
According to a newspost over at voodooextreme there's supposedly some sort of countdown. Too bad it's wayyy to obscure for mortals like us to understand. Also, in related news - the Call of Cthulhu game has been delayed - again.

Whipporowill

Erudite
TES IV: Oblivion? According to the newfangled Elderscrolls forums they seem to be updating one letter a day. Oblivion? Almost sounds like a post-apoc setting (although in a fantasy world), especially if it's about the fall of the Empire as some seem to think. OMG. MORROWIND-FALLOUT! OH NOES. :roll:

plin

Liturgist
Sounds fine/looks fine to me. I'm interested to know how it is, and if they've learned their lesson on static, empty worlds. Maybe they'll go for quality instead of quantity this time (considering the backstory and environment, I'm sure they can poor out some good stuff in a smaller world/environment.)

And I'm wondering what beth's engine (It wasn't made specifically for TES:IV, it was made for all present (near future) beth games. Todd said this in a recent interview (well, he said "our current tech"). So don't scream LIMITATIONS of real-time and whatever for FO3 just yet, but I'll be screaming with you if it does come to pass.) is lookin like. Though graphics don't matter much to me.

edit: And it's been more than two years since morrowind came out. Hopefully it's time for a nice big preview.

plin

Liturgist
Transcendent One said:
Wasn't Morrowind originally supposed to be called "Oblivion"? Why are they reusing the name?

Huh, where'd you get that from? And since they used morrowind last time, it wouldn't be reusing the name... since it's never been used. Unless I'm missing something.

On some half-life site a poster put this down "If they're true to form, Oblivion will be darker and smaller. The next one after that is thought to be the big one, as in the whole Tamriel Isle's. Oblivion IIRC is supposedly just a smaller part of it. Gonna be good all the same.".
Have no idea where he got that either.

And what does IIRC stand for?

Anonymous

that letter on the page is the letter 'O' in their goofy assed alphabet.

Oblivion in the games is tEH EMPTY SCARRY VOID PLANE WITH DEMONS AND MONSTORS RORRWR

Sol Invictus

Erudite
It sounds like a dungeon crawl. Not that I'm against that sort of thing, but nothing comes close to the ambience of Diablo.

FrankHorrigan

Liturgist
Exitium said:
It sounds like a dungeon crawl. Not that I'm against that sort of thing, but nothing comes close to the ambience of Diablo.
Diablo had ambience?

Being a long term TES fan.. TES IV was something being discuessed by bethsoft as far back as after Daggerfall's release. From various comments made by devs, some of whom dont work for bethesda anymore, Oblivion was intended to be set during the fall of the Empire and a large portion of the game was to be set in what would be comparable to demonic planes, so im not sure how the hallmark free form TES playstyle will fit into that scheme. Possibly expect more of a dungeon crawler, but perhaps the design has changed a bit, your talking comments made over a period of years. TES IV Oblivion was *always* meant to be the last game in the TES series, so their was no plans for a TES V with the whole of tameril in it. Given the success of morrowind i doubt oblivion is still intended as the finale of the franchise. Although im looking forward to it, i would prefer to see it set on the mainland in a more typical fantasy setting as opposed to demonic planes which are even more alien than morrowinds envoirment.

Stark

Liturgist
Diablo had ambience?

I think Exitium meant the first, not the sequel. the original Diablo had plenty of ambience. remember the first time you encounter the butcher?

I absolutely hate the sequel, though it improves on the original in so many ways. I dunno why though.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Diablo had a good pace about it. It wasn't complicated, and everything was fairly straightforward. It was hard to screw up. Diablo II on the other hand added the complexity of the skill tree and it made stat points actually important and worth calculating. It felt a bit draconian to the newbie player so it wasn't anywhere as easy to get into.

As for the ambience, Diablo II was very light in comparison to Diablo. Monsters weren't anywhere as tough or terrifying as they were in Diablo - where monsters would pop out of the darkness and wail at you mercilessly. The animations in Diablo were also much better, and in Diablo II's engine they failed to blend seemlessly into the background so it always felt a bit 'fake'.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Not to mention the detail used on the walls and things in the catacombs under the church. To me, that was probably one of the scarier environments in a CRPG, action or otherwise. It had a sanctuary look about the architecture, but it was filled with ripped open bodies hanging on hooks, from chains, and so forth. The art content in the original Diablo was very gothic(not as in the pasty white freaks who wear all black and pretend to be vampires, the real gothic) and really set the tone for the game.

Araanor

Liturgist
Yeah, and it meshed well with the sounds and music. Diablo 2 fell short in this department.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Diablo's art was awesome, I loved the knights, the mages (magistrates, etc), vipers, horned demons, etc. D2' artwork was bland in comparison.

Flink

Liturgist
Aw man, the horned demons! I freakin love those brutes! Especially when they charged. A terrfing roar and bam! You got hit by a fraight train, scary as hell. :D

Spazmo

Erudite
Whoa--time machine.

I liked those acid-spitting hound demons, especially how they'd leave a puddle of acid behind after dying that would damage you if you walked on it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom