Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Gearhead getting musical?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Gearhead

I noticed in the <A href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gearhead_dev">development mailing list thingy</a> over at <a href="http://groups.yahoo.com/">Yahoo Groups</a> that <b>Joseph Hewitt</b> is considering adding music to <A href="http://www.geocities.com/pyrrho12/programming/gearhead/">Gearhead</a>. Here's what he has to say:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>I'm thinking now about adding music to the SDL version of GearHead (probably as a separate zip archive, so players of the ASCII version can listen in winamp if they really want to). There are a couple of things that are needed before doing this. First, I'll need to decide how the music is going to work.
<br>
<br>
I could start a new song with every scene, picking one as appropriate depending on what the PC is doing. Alternatively, I could assign individual songs for individual scenes, with another song for combat. Or, I could just pick a new song from the music directory every time the current song ends.
<br>
<br>
I'd like for the system to be completely user-customizable, so that people could insert their own music for use in the game. This kind of disqualifies option #2 above...
<br>
<br>
The second thing I'm going to need is, of course, the music itself. I'm hoping to get some volunteers, as I did with the graphics. What kind of music am I looking for? I'd personally like something rock-ish. My favorite anime for music are Cowboy Bebop and FLCL. However, I have to mention, I'll take what I can get.</blockquote>
<br>
Dear lord, no crappy anime music, please.
<br>

Astromarine

Erudite
Did you ever SEE Cowboy Bebop? That thing has one of my favorite soundtracks from all my DVDs. And I have hundreds of them, with very few anime.

Voss

Erudite
Yep. Bebop has nothing in common with general anime music. Hell, I've heard people say they watch the show entirely for the music.
FLCL music is pretty decent as well, though its easy to be distracted by the frankly bizzare storyline.

Tsk, tsk, Saint. You could at least try to have some idea what you're commenting on when you insert <generic sarcastic comment>

Sol Invictus

Erudite
The music isn't bad at all. It's nu-jazz or something like that - and all of it is in English. It'd fit a space sim more than a game like gearhead, though so I don't think it would fit the game. It's also pretty hard to get a good rock/jazz band to contribute their stuff for free, come to that. It'd be a lot easier (not to mention more in theme with the game) if he went with some techno, ambient or D&B.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom