Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Fallout 3: Turn-Based?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

There has been some very interesting discussion on the <a href="http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?act=idx">Elderscrolls Forum</a>, specifically pertaining to this particular <a href="http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3664&st=180">thread</a>. Here's a nice snippet from <b>MrSmileyFaceDude</b>
<br>
<blockquote>
<br>
<b>caseylantz:</b>
<br>
I would like to see a elder scrolls game that is large and open ended like morrowind but has a turn based battle system put in it. You would play it just like morrowind and be able to customize your character like you want but when you see an enemy and come in contact with it you go into a battle where you have option like attack, magic, items and maybe something else.
<br>
<br>
<b>MrSmileyFaceDude (Bethesda Dev):</b>
<br>
An Elder Scrolls RPG with turn-based combat would be an Elder Scrolls RPG "in name only." :D
<br>
<br>
<b>FilthyMcNasty:</b>
<br>
That was for all the Fallout fans out there.
<br>
<br>
<b>MrSmileyFaceDude (Bethesda Dev):</b>
<br>
Who rule, by the way. Just my way of saying "TES isn't Fallout, Fallout isn't TES" :)</blockquote>
<br>
Is that a hint towards a possibility for turn-based gameplay? It sounds rather vague, yet it's still very intriguing. Perhaps <b>MrSmileyFaceDude</b> would like to clarify on this matter?
<br>
<br>
Thanks for the tip, <b>Briosafreak</b>

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I just don't see a system like Final Fantasy's working for Fallout. Fallout 3, if turn-based, could definitely do with some of the nifty combat implementations and features within Final Fantasy's (and similar games) combat, but the system itself wouldn't actually work. Fallout definitely has to be on a hex grid or whatever the original Fallouts had, with the ability to move your character around during combat.

A system like FF's would only work if the game was entirely party-based. It just wouldn't work with a single character, and frankly - it wouldn't be Fallout.

As for the features Fallout 3's combat system could use to spruce up the turn based, I'm talking about having actions besides 'Use Item', 'Shoot' and 'Called Shot' during combat. For a more interactive turn based system, Perks should definitely have a stronger role in combat beyond simply adding bonuses. Just as well, your Skill in the specified field of weapons should allow you more combat maneuvers the higher the skill gets. E.g. Overpower Shot with an Energy weapon, or special moves for HtH and Melee Weapons.

TOEE's combat system is a good example of how interactive Turn Based can be.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
Are they talking about Fallout fans without mentioning how mean and evil they are?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
The only people who are mean and 'evil' are the immature ones who have nothing better to do than to say bad things about a game they hardly even know about.

Now, I'm not asking anyone to kowtow to developers and I'm certainly not even suggesting it. We did that during FOT's development and look what that got us: utter drivel. No, I'm just saying we shouldn't make kneejerk reactions towards the negative everytime anyone at Bethesda says anything. I'm certainly capable of my kneejerk reactions (Saint will know what I'm talking about) but at least I'm not a repeat offender.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Exitium said:
I'm certainly capable of my kneejerk reactions (Saint will know what I'm talking about)

So, you and Saint have been playing doctors with a 'rubber hammer'? :lol:

Just kidding.

Actually, that statement doesn't really tell me anything about wheter Fallout 3 will be turnbased. That feels more like a kneejerk reaction to the standard Fallout fan kneejerk reaction. I wouldn't mind getting more info on it (hint to my 1337 underground contacts), but I don't feel the above is something worth discussing. I can be wrong, though. Maybe in a future development in that same thread.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Well according to Patrick, Fallout 3 will suck because a developer mentioned something about it having graphics and making hints about it, because obviously having good graphics means gameplay will suffer a lot.

Greenskin13

Erudite
I'm not insensitive you shoe-shining negro!

Well, they've already been saying "It's not going to be Morrowind with Guns/Mutants."

Seven

Erudite
Exitium said:
Well even if it isn't a reference to TB it's definitely nice to hear them separate TES4 and FO3.

This is something that shouldn't recieve praise given that it should be common sense. FO and ES are not the same, simple, right?

Is it nice to know that Beth *MAY* be keeping an open mind and not dismiss TB out of hand, sure, of course it is. However, it would be even better to know that they're keeping SPECIAL intact.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
You people are being mean to Rex. I'm sure he already had his blue and yellow jumpsuit put on and went out into the streets, 8 steps at a time while waiting for everyone else's turn around him to end, asking the local whores and kids for the Water Chip.

BUT YOU COULDN'T LET THE MAN HAVE HIS FUN AND HOPES, COULD YOU?

Whipporowill

Erudite
It's pretty funny considering Rex isn't known as THE tb advocate at the Codex. I'm not 100% on how he stands on Fallout though, so I'll refrain from commenting on that...

... otherwise. Nyah, nyah.

Reklar

Liturgist
Even if what MrSmileyFace says is what he believes it does not necessarily impact what Bethesda will do with regards to the development of Fallout 3. It's encouraging that perhaps at least one developer has a clue what Fallout is, but I prefer to remain skeptical of Fallout's future until I see more heartening evidence. I do, however, somewhat agree with those above who are looking for a glimmer of hope. Sometimes, even if you cannot admit it to yourself or others, you secretly hope for the best outcome in any given situation.

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Re: I'm not insensitive you shoe-shining negro!

Greenskin13 said:
Well, they've already been saying "It's not going to be Morrowind with Guns/Mutants."

Fallout 3 won't be Morrowind with Guns OR mutants, it'll be Oblivion with guns AND mutants.

Sorry, couldn't resist the funneh.

Briosafreak

Augur
From DAC:
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Don't read too much into it, guys -- I just meant to let folks know that we are aware that the TES and Fallout series are totally different kinds of games. This wasn't a hint about any possible features of Fallout 3.

JanC

Liturgist
I think a 3D turn based game would be painful to play. KOTOR was fiddly enough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom