Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News More Fallout 3 drama

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

<a href=http://www.thevats.net>DAC</a> has posted the controversial <a href=http://www.thevats.net/index.php#8108>GameInformer article</a> in full.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Last month it was announced that Bethesda had acquried the Fallout license from Interplay, and the company has confirmed that that Fallout 3 will follow The Elder Scrolls IV as a new next-generation title. While only in preproduction stages at the moment, the game will use the <u>same technology as Oblivion</u>, and is planned as <u>another open-ended roleplaying game</u>. This game however, will be decidedly darker. Imagine a survival horror-esque version of the Fallout world, with all the things you expect out of the series still intact, but with deeper, more immersive gameplay. The post-apoc theme (with tongue in cheek humor) of the series is still present, with your character having spent the first 20 years of his life living underground. Because of this, his eyes are unaccustomed to the light of day, thus <u>players will have to train their eyes away from light sensitivity by using a special pair of goggles</u>. Todd Howard claims that Fallout 3 will be one of the most original and violent titles ever and will be set in a familiar US city.</blockquote>
<br>
RPG Codex is happy to announce a new Fallout 3 contest. You have to answer the following question correctly to be eligible: What kind of view would support the light sensitivity feature?
<br>
<br>
Edit: Edited by Exitium TWICE to demonstrate his uber powahz and lack of etiquette.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine

I hate Bethesda...

Greenskin13

Erudite
Why are we whispering?

Wait, so does that mean I have to actually wear goggles to play this game?

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
ooo ooo I know: First Person! Did I win? Did I? Also, how can you do turnbased in a first person perspective? Did Wizardry do that? Or was that considered phase based? EH, I saw this coming. So, now what? They obviously listened to us. Also, this immersive world with open endedness, will it be anything like morrowind?

Briosafreak

Augur
Major_Blackhart said:
ooo ooo I know: First Person! Did I win? Did I? Also, how can you do turnbased in a first person perspective?

Like thisplz click me

So what will this be,a Morrowind meets Darklands(the survival horror game version) fiasco or Krondor meets Fallout? What do you guys think?

Seven

Erudite
Where are the nay-sayers who believed that Beth was "giving serious consideration" and not ruling out the isometric view. Looks like some people are going to have to start eating crow a little early. I bet some dicks are still going to believe that they also giving consideration to TB.

EDIT: It would appear that Beth can't still cling to their can't comment now because we haven't decided yet since it's quite apparent that they have made some substantial design decisons.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
What's the deal with all the posts in this thread anyway? So basically all we know about Fallout 3 is this: It's an RPG.

And from knowing this, we can therefore arrive at the conclusion that it's a real time first person shooter made only for the next gen consoles that requires the use of a headset and goggles and that spamming Pete Hines will cause Bethesda to explode.

You know what? Go fuck yourselves. Your idiocy is pissing me off.

If it's a good game, good for it. You don't have to play it, or even like it. Sure, you can complain about it, but all of you morons are clearly 'taking it personally' and behaving like Pete Hines raped your girlfriend (not that you even have one - seeing the immaturity of the majority of these posts). If it's a bad game, we'll rightly say bad things about it. If it's a good game, I'm sure VD will probably say bad things about it anyway because that's what he does.

You're all behaving as if FOBOS and FOT never came out. They did, and they pretty much fucked over the franchise. How much worse can it get? Why isn't anyone still complaining about FOBOS? Face it, even Fallout 2 botched the continuity of Fallout's storyline and nobody made a fuss about that.

I just don't think any of this 'let's string Bethsoft's employees up by the balls and flog them to death' is called for at all.

As for Fallout 3 will be one of the most original and violent titles ever, wasn't Fallout touted the same way prior to its release? It was, in fact, one of the most original and violent games ever devised, for that matter. I can't think of too many other games with the violent content of the death animations featured in Fallout. In fact, aside from Soldier of Fortune, there aren't any. Also, was Fallout not a deep and immersive game?

It's called advertising, you dumb shmucks. Learn the fucking word:
ad·ver·tis·ing Audio pronunciation of "advertising" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (dvr-tzng)
n.

1. The activity of attracting public attention to a product or business, as by paid announcements in the print, broadcast, or electronic media.
2. The business of designing and writing advertisements.
3. Advertisements considered as a group: This paper takes no advertising.
I wonder what people's reactions would be if the press statements went something like "Fallout 3 will be an unimaginative spinoff of the less-than-stellar Fallout franchise (due to FOBOS and FOT). It is slated to be a shallow title with lacklustre gameplay and an appalling amount violence."

Yes, let's fault Bethesda for advertising their upcoming game, just like we fault Feargus Urquhart for his interviews and even unrelated previews of his game. Surely their PR department is intelligent enough to realize that telling certain magazines certain details about their game while telling other magazines certain other details will attract different types of customers. There wouldn't be much point in telling GameInformer and its readers that the game is going to be 'full of dialogue', is there, since the majority of its readers happen to be console-oriented action gamers.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
It doesn't sound all that bad. It will be different that the original, and that can be a good thing. Keep an open mind about it. I'm sure it will turn out to be a really cool game.

I think since we can pretty much give up on the "holy isometric turn-based" idea, we should start stressing other important things that made Fallout great.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Pete "Full-of-Shit" Hines.

That was unecessarily rude. No one forces you to love company PRs, but at one point I have to wonder what exactly is the point to all this idiotic name calling. I hope you won't have the gall to ask for respect from them in the future, because quite frankly, I don't think you'd deserve it.

Moving on, I find myself agreeing with Rex on this one. We know nothing more at this point, other than its an RPG. There's been a series of rash comments and reactions to a handful of minor comments and articles which I think were uncalled for. Unless some of you have insider info, there's no reason to flip out with the things being said lately.

But hey, goggles are so unfallouty, so lets string them all by the balls!!!!!

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Besides what I've already said, I should point out that pretty much everyone says that their game is 'original'. I don't see the point in nitpicking at Bethesda for saying that.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
Did they get that goggle idea from Fallout 2's opening movie?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Role-Player said:
Vault Dweller said:
Pete "Full-of-Shit" Hines.

That was unecessarily rude. No one forces you to love company PRs, but at one point I have to wonder what exactly is the point to all this idiotic name calling. I hope you won't have the gall to ask for respect from them in the future, because quite frankly, I don't think you'd deserve it.

Moving on, I find myself agreeing with Rex on this one. We know nothing more at this point, other than its an RPG. There's been a series of rash comments and reactions to a handful of minor comments and articles which I think were uncalled for. Unless some of you have insider info, there's no reason to flip out with the things being said lately.

But hey, goggles are so unfallouty, so lets string them all by the balls!!!!!

Yeah, I found that rather appaling. I'd expect to see rude, stupid crap like that from 13 year olds but certainly not from a site like ours. What VD did doesn't in any way elaborate our concerns about the game and only serves to alienate the company and its employees from ever making contact with us again.

That said, I'm editing his post. We don't need people reading that and thinking, "Hey, The RPG Codex is full of morons with no valid arguments whatsoever. All they do is bitch and whine like preadolescents and expect people to respect them."

EEVIAC

Erudite
Does it matter what the light source is, and would it really be that bright? I'd imagine a regular Vault would have a lot of fluorescent lights for a dweller to be exposed to, whether in the agricultural sections or just in general living quarters. You can also get sunlight in tube, so even natural sunlight might be piped down into the vault.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Heh, you girls are funny...

Role-Player said:
That was unecessarily rude. No one forces you to love company PRs, but at one point I have to wonder what exactly is the point to all this idiotic name calling
Name-calling? I stated a fact. I don't care about PR, but I dislike flat-out lies.

I hope you won't have the gall to ask for respect from them in the future
When did I ever ask for anyone's respect? It's overrated.

quite frankly, I don't think you'd deserve it.
Quite frankly, go fuck yourself. I say that with love :)

We know nothing more at this point, other than its an RPG
Learn to read

Exitium said:
I'd expect to see rude, stupid crap like that from 13 year olds but certainly not from a site like ours
You would have hurt my feelings if I had any

What VD did doesn't in any way elaborate our concerns about the game and only serves to alienate the company and its employees from ever making contact with us again.
You mean there would stop bulshitting us?

That said, I'm editing his post.
Don't fuck with my posts, Rex

plin

Liturgist
Maybe it's just an accessory he has to wear for a certain amount of time, and if he took it off it would permanently hurt his perception? Doesn't mean it's first person. Makes sense if he comes from a vault or some other underground thing.

If it was used like that, I think it's a good idea. Adds even more to a vault dweller (or whoever) adapting to the outside world.

Rabids strike again.

plin

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:

Role-Player said:
That was unecessarily rude. No one forces you to love company PRs, but at one point I have to wonder what exactly is the point to all this idiotic name calling
Name-calling? I stated a fact. I don't care about PR, but I dislike flat-out lies.

So you're saying speculation is fact? Doesn't it make yourself a liar if it turns out that it's isometric? If it ends up isometric, doesn't it mean that you're Vault-fullofshit-Dweller?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:

Go kill yourself, then. All advertisements are embellishments to a degree.

When did I ever ask for anyone's respect? It's overrated.
You give the RPG Codex a bad reputation. Why don't you take your RPG Codex e-mail address and spam "fuck you" letters to everyone in the game industry, for good measure?

Quite frankly, go fuck yourself. I say that with love :)
Quite frankly, that's very immature, and immaturity is not something to be proud of.

Learn to read
There's a difference between reading something and coming up with stupid conclusions.

You would have hurt my feelings if I had any
Laugh. You have a heart of stone! How nihilistic. Can I recommend some razors?

You mean there would stop bulshitting us?
That's not for you to decide.

Don't fuck with my posts, Rex
Then it would be a good idea if you didn't tell everyone to spam Pete Hines or resort to petty name-calling just because you seem to have some inane grudge against advertising.

Seven

Erudite
What's the deal with all the posts in this thread anyway? So basically all we know about Fallout 3 is this: It's an RPG.

So I guess this means that the stuff in the article was all made up, and that they'll be posting a retraction right?

You know what? Go fuck yourselves. Your idiocy is pissing me off.

Your hard-headedness and ignorance is equally annoying.

Sure, you can complain about it

That's right we can, so piss off if you don't like it.

You're all behaving as if FOBOS and FOT never came out. They did, and they pretty much fucked over the franchise. How much worse can it get?

I guess aiming high, and having standards are over rated, right?

It's called advertising, you dumb shmucks. Learn the fucking word:

The purpose of advertising is usually to create a positive reaction, or didn't you know that?

Yes, let's fault Bethesda for advertising their upcoming game,

If they go about it in an anal way then why not. They're talking out of both sides of their mouth, and you expect us to swallow that, right guess again.

Yeah, I found that rather appaling. I'd expect to see rude, stupid crap like that from 13 year olds but certainly not from a site like ours.

Perhaps we should look your use of profanity in this thread alone. This is the codex if you didn't notice. While we don't accept blantant cussing there are instances when it is warranted. If you don't like then perhaps you should start a new policy beginning by examining your own use of profanity.

crufty

Arcane
Maybe they are just shades...the sound of the quote does make it sound like it's not isometeric-esque; how else could you train the player's eyes away from bright lights if it's not FPS? I guess you could do some NWN style stuff...

Maybe it's a reverse-doom3 gimmick; everything's bright unless you sport your gucci's...but you can't shoot and wear your shades see, because that would make you Duke Nukem.

Who knows, sounds wierd to me...it would have been much cooler had he said "And you get to ride a harley -- kind of like Interstate-76 but with less funk."

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
It's a business. The objective of a business is to either: Make a profit no matter what. Or: Make a quality product with customer service which together will naturally lead to $profit$.

What would you do if you were them?

"I make game for my Fallout Fiends.. err.. Friends. Me no care if anyone else buy it!"

Please the majority or the minority? What will return the most profit so I can feed myself and the people who work under me?(And buy a Ferrari..)

I believe Bethesda practices the "quality product with customer service" business practice. Unlike those companies who just crank out a new football game every year where the only difference is a new roster. Is that what you want for Fallout? The same thing we've played countless times just with some nice new graphics and different characters?

Give them a chance. You may not be as disappointed as you think you will be when it comes out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom