Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Avadon - Getting It Done

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Avadon: The Black Fortress; Jeff Vogel; Spiderweb Software

<p>Seems that <strong>Avadon: The Black Fortress</strong> is nearing its release date, <a href="http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/2011/01/avadon-developer-diary-5-getting-it.html" target="_blank">according to Jeff Vogel</a>, who's aiming for a late February release on Mac.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>Games Are Like Giant Cubes of Jello</strong><br /> <br /> One of my <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Dynamics-Software-Development-Michele-McCarthy/dp/1556158238">favorite books</a> on software development describes an unshipped piece of software as a ten by ten by ten foot cube of jello. When you finish it, it is wobbling and shaking. Then, slowly, the vibrations stop and it becomes stable. However, whenever you poke the jello, it starts to wobble again and it takes a long time to become still.<br /> <br /> Avadon is a huge cube of jello that is wobbling like mad. As testers play it and don't find serious problems, it stops wobbling. When I make a change, any change at all, I poke it. When the jello is almost still, I go, "OK, I will release the game ... NOW!" and hope it isn't broken. This is how the process works at its best.<br /> <br /> So fixing bugs now is a process of triage. When I get a bug report, I think, "Is this serious enough to risk fixing it, bearing in mind that my fix might completely mess up the game?" As we get closer and closer to the ship date, more and more minor issues get kicked off to the v1.0.1 release. <br /> <br /> If you've ever wondered why games ship with bugs, this is part of the answer. There is no excuse for releasing a broken game. However, small flaws are always tolerated in order to avoid disaster. Perfection is for v1.0.4.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>But when will the windows version be ready?</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#16631">RPGWatch</a></p>

Jim Cojones

Prophet
So I try to make the late game fights hard but not impossible for the more casual players. I also try to put in some optional endgame fights that are a real challenge for the toughest players. These two targets are actually tricky to hit precisely, and it requires a lot of feedback and rebalancing.

In Avadon, I want the player to be able to challenge Redbeard for control of the Black Fortress. I want this fight to be soul-crushing, but, with great skill, preparation, and luck, winnable. This is an extra-difficult target to hit. Making something almost impossible is hard. Still, I think I'm getting close.
Can't wait to get 24th century on his ass. :D

[...] Jeff Vogel, who's aiming for a late February release on Mac.
Weren't both version supposed to be published simultaneously this time? Or did I get it wrong and he just promised to deliver them the same year instead of releasing it for Mac at the end of one year and for Windows at the beginning of the next one, like he used to?

torpid

Liturgist
Encounter design was continually improved in the Avernum series, with 5 and 6 having really nice set pieces and very little filler. Battle disciplines were also an interesting new feature. A big advantage of making basically the same game over and over again with incremental changes is that Vogel has really mastered the formula. Looking forward to this.

obediah

Erudite
Vogel has been making mac games since before most of you idiots were born. So sit down, shut the fuck up, and wait your turn.

Luckilly, the 13" mac book pro happens to be the portable machine from heaven, so I have one for conferences, meetings, and general travel. I'll still probably wait for the mactards to bug test it before buying the mac version though.

7hm

Scholar
torpid said:
Encounter design was continually improved in the Avernum series, with 5 and 6 having really nice set pieces and very little filler. Battle disciplines were also an interesting new feature. A big advantage of making basically the same game over and over again with incremental changes is that Vogel has really mastered the formula. Looking forward to this.

Except this is a completely new game and new system.

It's going to have some issues.

I'll buy it anyway of course. Gotta support one of the only developers out there who produce western turn based RPGs.

Looking forward to this. The last Geneforge and Avernum games were the best in their respective series -- he only seems to be improving at this point (after the misstep of Exile -> Avernum, anyways), if ever so slowly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom