Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info The Combat RPG of 2004 - not playable until 2005!

Whipporowill

Erudite
Tags: Dungeon Lords; Heuristic Park Inc.

As those interested in Heuristic Park's upcoming Dungeon Lords, advertised as "the Combat RPG of 2004", might have guessed from the no-show demo in September - the game has been delayed. According to a <a href="http://www.homelanfed.com" target=_blank>HomeLAN Fed</a> <a href="http://www.homelanfed.com/index.php?id=27157" target=_blank>newsbit</a>, they recieved a press release stating that the game has slipped to Q1 2005. Here's the only apparent part of official word to seem to have survived into the post:<blockquote>"We simply want to avoid the holiday rush and give D.W. Bradley and his team at Heuristic Park the extra time to polish the game up." </blockquote>I'd like to thank both the developers and Dreamcatcher's marketing division for getting the opportunity to pull a funny on them, based on their own marketing material. Keep it up guys!
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blue's News</A>

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
"We simply want to avoid the holiday rush...."

I wonder how much the game sucks that they've decided to "avoid" the biggest sale event of the year where shopping-frenzied people grab anything that isn't nailed down?

Ortchel

Liturgist
I'm probably gonna eat my words, but I have pretty high hopes for this one.

Admittedly, that's in no small part due to the presence of playable goblinoids.

Ortchel

Liturgist
I dunno. I hope I'm not becoming a broken record :X

I always liked goblins and orcs, even as a kid.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I know I'd rather have a polished game rather than a game that was rushed out for the holidays. However, I'd say that's marketting spin there. The game is just so far away from being ready, they decided to wait on it.

taks

Liturgist
what SP said... the funny part is that everyone bitches when a game is delayed, yet when released and buggy, all the comments seem to be "they just needed another 6 months to finish!" :shock:

taks

Whipporowill

Erudite
I don't have a problem with it being delayed, it's just all these marketing banners everywhere that's calling it "The combat rpg of 2004". Which makes this whole debacle funny as hell.

mr. lamat

Liturgist
well all love role-player. plin as well. they're such lovely counterpoints to the rosh's and vaultdwellers of this world.

are the furries rioting over the pushed-back release date?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Saint said:
I know I'd rather have a polished game rather than a game that was rushed out for the holidays.
Considering that the game was almost ready, it's highly unlikely that the publisher wanted to polish it and miss the shopping season because of that. That just doesn't add up. Most likely the gameplay is so crappy that they can't even show it to anybody. I wonder why they canned the demo few days before the release.

Dhruin

Liturgist
There's a difference between "no demo yet" and "can't show it to anybody", no? It was displayed at E3 (where it got some good press) and there's been hands-on previews, including one we did. I think they were over-optimistic about getting it finished in time but that doesn't prove the core gameplay is bad (or good). The comedy is that HP either misled Dreamcatcher about the readiness or DC foolishly pushed ahead anyway, only to realise it couldn't be done in the end.

I'd run out of fingers if I tried to count the number of demos that didn't turn up when they were supposed to...although usually the publisher hasn't sprayed ads everywhere. :)

Sol Invictus

Erudite
What's the point of this game? It's just Dungeon Siege 2 without the good graphics, intuitive controls, good interface (Remember the part where D.W. decided that health bars and numbers were a bad thing?) and budget.

Skip.

corvax

Augur
well i'm gonna give this game a shot...considering the state of pc rpg's i need something...as far as ds2 goes i dunno - it would have to be total opposite of ds1 in terms of the silly gameplay

Dhruin

Liturgist
You mean like, say...Guild Wars? I haven't read anything about DS2 but if it is a single-character game in a large, open world with fully-interactive player-driven combat I'll eat my hat. They'll probably both suck but I doubt they're the same game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom