Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Dead State Design Update

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Dead State; DoubleBear Productions

<p>I didn't post a design update for DoubleBear's zombie game <strong>Dead State</strong> for a while, <a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,1941.0.html" target="_blank">so here is one</a>:</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Honestly speaking - I think the second Brian and I decided where we were going to set the game in the US, we settled on a school as the player's Shelter. It wasn't really something we hemmed and hawed about, because it seemed a natural choice to us: as we mentioned in our grand reveal article in <a href="http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/08/25/a-blood-red-state-dead-state-revealed/" target="_blank">Rock, Paper, Shotgun</a>, modern American schools (such as the ones Brian and I went to in Florida and Arizona, respectively) look a lot more like fortresses or prisons than the traditional concept of a school. The esteemed Vince was even a little curious about our choice, but when we sent him pictures of schools we'd found while researching the area, and detailed the various features of our own alma maters, he was stunned at the high levels of security of modern schools, and agreed that a school did indeed seem like a pretty good choice.<br /><br />Another consideration we had that made the school a good solution is that in many areas of the United States, they're set as designated gathering areas in case of disasters. Their gyms are an excellent place to hold and house displaced residents, they have cooking facilities and basic medical supplies on hand, and while old schools (no joke) had bomb shelters, many newer ones - such as those in the tornado-struck region of Texas where <em>Dead State</em> is set - have underground severe weather shelters. Even if the area was evacuated, those residents either not willing or able to leave would justifiably gather in such a secure location.<br /><br />The last element that made a school the most feasible location for the Shelter is its modularity. Classrooms are designed to change and swap out elements as teachers and students change, so an unused room has a larger potential to be converted to something more useful than, say, a hotel room could. In addition to this, a school has the starter materials to open up many options for upgrades. The kiln in the art room may not be tested for extremely high temperatures, but with the right supplies and know-how, it might be able to make valuable items. The infirmary is only stocked with the bare minimum of medical supplies, but their advantages are a surplus of room, beds, and an efficient layout. Lab rooms are tested for far higher volume of toxic safety than the average high school chemistry class could ever think of studying - with the right materials, it could prove very useful to you and your fellow survivors. Possibilities exist that require only the right knowledge, supplies, and construction time to unlock, and though you may not have the ability to obtain them all, each one offers its own unique advantages... and, of course, your fellow survivors will have their own preferences for which upgrade to pursue.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,1941.0.html">ITS</a></p>

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is it... alive?
/me equips a stick
/me touches DS with a stick
DS: Blargh! Ghelrp! Derp!
DS stops all actions.

Is it... alive?
/me equips a stick
DS stops all actions.

Is it... alive?
/me equips a stick
DS stops all actions.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I wonder how deep the crafting system will go. I hope they don't go the "chemistry labs are where you mix green herbs and red herbs to get healing potions lol" way. Something to do with actual chemistry would be nice.

Difera

Educated
Also, it's a good excuse to copy & paste dozens of rooms, since all classrooms look exactly the same...

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Yeah, that's why.

There are no copy-pasted rooms in the shelter. Every room/area is "hand-made" and has its own vibe.

torpid

Liturgist
See, VD? This is what happens when your first game isn't even released and yet further games are being developed. And let's not forget the Lovecraft game fizzling out. Granted, these were all separate teams, but they're associated with you guys so it's no surprise that the vaporware accusations are going to fly thicker than ever.

RELEASE AoD ALREADY

denizsi

Arcane
They will soon merge under Vapor Tower Studios.

Vault Dweller said:
Yeah, that's why.

There are no copy-pasted rooms in the shelter. Every room/area is "hand-made" and has its own vibe.

Perhaps he meant basic level geometry?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Hey VD, I heard you're working on some kind of game? Is it coming out soon? :D

Dead State looks awesome, don't need design documents to tell me that. We're so starved for good RPGs, throwing us scraps just makes us remember what they tasted like.

Pack of hungry wolves, that's the Codex.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
torpid said:
See, VD? This is what happens when your first game isn't even released and yet further games are being developed. And let's not forget the Lovecraft game fizzling out. Granted, these were all separate teams, but they're associated with you guys so it's no surprise that the vaporware accusations are going to fly thicker than ever.

RELEASE AoD ALREADY

Difference is these guys are pros, they are working full time and have a publisher.

Kilgore Trout

Novice
Dead State can also build on the work of tools already made for AOD but if it uses T3D, chances are it won't ever come out. When gg went bankrupt it pretty much spelled the doom for T3D, which is as yet an unstable buggy mess that's never had a game released for it and likely never will. Just because it got purchased by one of its customers doesn't mean it's going to suddenly be infused with millions of dollars in development.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
It depends on what their plans are. If the new buyers run the business better, they would attract new investors. Lots of ifs though.

However if it doesn't work out, Double Bear can always move on to a better coded engine with full source. And if their game sells well, they may move up to the big leagues, with engines that do everything out of the box.

Kilgore Trout

Novice
GarfunkeL said:
Kilgore, are you the same guy who was here earlier claiming to be an expert in game development without anything to show, who also lambasted T3D?

I have tons to show, I just choose not to show you until you've all posted a few reviews sucking my cock as the uber god of gamemaking. But like I said before time will tell. I make very few predictions unlike our friend Cleve, but they really do come true 100% of the time. Though I don't put out unqualified prediction about T3D as Davaris points out it's all about how much money they are willing to pour into it and how invested they are.

Ironically I do know one of their main programmers recommended another engine instead and he suggested T3D was a worthless engine and gg would go out of business. Looks like he was dead on, but now they are too invested to move on. So at the least I'd say their technical decisionmaking is not good.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Kilgore Trout said:
GarfunkeL said:
Kilgore, are you the same guy who was here earlier claiming to be an expert in game development without anything to show, who also lambasted T3D?

blah blah blah I AM SUPAR SMARET GAME DEV, blah blah VD is SHIT! blah blah blah Dead State is shit blah blah blah ITS suck shit blah blah blah blah I know everything blah blah blah blah engine is shit blah blah blah my game is so fucking awesome, better than anything ITS except I provide no evidence at all about said game blah blah blah blah blah

Why do you keep making these shitty alts?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
T3D is a decent engine, much better than TGE. Like any other engine it has issues, but nothing that a programmer who knows what he's doing can't handle.

Baron

Arcane
Back to Dead State... I love that it's set in a school. Beyond the security issue, which is weird and worth highlighting, the school works so well for the satire. Forget the bomb shelter, get to the library, the one place the zombies dare not tread.

Really looking forward to this game. :D

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Vault Dweller said:
T3D is a decent engine, much better than TGE. Like any other engine it has issues, but nothing that a programmer who knows what he's doing can't handle.
14yearoldmc.png

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Jaesun said:
Davaris said:
Difference is these guys are pros, they are working full time and have a publisher.

WHo is the publisher?

Oh wait, you are right. Damn my failing eyesight! lol

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f32/S ... 00/DS1.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f32/S ... 00/DS2.jpg

The fact they don't have one yet, I find incredible. But then again Brian has said he wants to keep his IP.

I still stand by what I said about them finishing this game. The guy working on the Lovecraft game was just a writer. He is an excellent writer, but writing and designing games is very different.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Davaris said:
The fact they don't have one yet, I find incredible.
I thought the whole point of being independent was not having to rely on a publisher. With digital distribution you don't need one either.

denizsi

Arcane
I don't know about Brian but Annie has a paying job, working full time for ArenaNet. Apart from the Mitsoda duo, who's working on it? Oscar, who is also possibly still working on AoD as well and one more guy I fail to remember, I think. I guess it's reasonable to say they also get assistance from Nick (was that his name, the AoD's programmer?). Far from a crew of professionals working full time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom