Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Konung 2 GOLD

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: 1C Company; Konung 2

<A href="http://www.konung2.com">Konung 2</a>, the viking CRPG with town building and slight resource management, it's <b>GOLD</b>. Here's the release:
<br>
<blockquote>Weson, CT - November 11, 2004 - Got Game Entertainment LLC and co-publisher Merscom LLC today announced that "Konung 2" has gone gold. The unique fantasy role-playing game with real-time strategy and adventure elements is set in a mystical world of magic and legend, alive with tribes of wild Slavic hunters, noble traders of the Byzantine Empire, and fearless Viking warriors. Retailing for $19.99 (USD) and rated "T" for Teen by the ESRB for Blood and Fantasy Violence, "Konung 2" was developed by 1C Company and is scheduled to arrive on store shelves December 3, 2004.
<br>
<br>
"Konung 2" adopts the dark and complex atmosphere of ancient Scandinavia, combining history with classical myths and legends, immortal heroes, magical artifacts and ancient sorcery. In this tale, good and evil have now transposed, resulting in chaos and turmoil. Having fallen under the spell of wicked magic, a new Dark Master now threatens the land and only six warriors, male and female descendants of the Titans, can stop him in his quest to destroy all that can be used to return peace and stability. These heroes must summon their courage, strength, and wits to defeat this new face of evil and his minions, both human and monstrous.
<br>
<br>
While continuing the original's tradition of going beyond action-style role-playing by offering adventure-style gameplay with dozens of quests and a strong storyline, this sequel to "Konung: Legend of the North" stands entirely on its own and offers a wealth of new features. Striking improvements include an enhanced RPG system with a wide range of character skills and features. "Konung 2" also boasts better, more varied, fighting techniques, improved AI, dozens of quests, detailed dialogue system, additional RTS elements, such as extensive settlement management, and new monsters.
<br>
<br>
For more information, visit <A href="http://www.konung2.com">www.Konung2.com</a>.</blockquote>
<br>
Wow, there wasn't much in the way of hype about this one.
<br>

Thorndyke

Novice
Bitmap Screenshots! BITMAP SCREENSHOTS!! 2,5 MB!!!

I mean... it looks kinda interesting, though more like an action RPG. Would be nice to know a bit more about it, maybe someone who played the first one could tell us a little about the actual gameplay.

The official website doesn't really answer any questions, except for "Where can I buy it?".

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Okay. So like, when did this game get first announced and where the fuck can I find a copy of the first one? I've never ever ever until today, heard of this game or it's predecessor. What the shit is up with that?

Limorkil

Liturgist
Otaku_Hanzo said:
Okay. So like, when did this game get first announced and where the fuck can I find a copy of the first one? I've never ever ever until today, heard of this game or it's predecessor. What the shit is up with that?

Ditto.

I love scandinavian myths, vikings and whatnot so I can't believe I never heard of this.

The website has hardly any info except screenies. The game looks decent, perhaps a little basic, unless of course someone picked bad screenshots.

Has it already been released in Europe? Anyone heard of it?

Limorkil

Liturgist
I did a bit of research.

It is a Russian game by the people that did Rage of Mages I & II. I played those. They were decent very old school RPG games, somewhat primitive by the standards of the time but a hell of a lot of fun to play. I still have them on my laptop at work and I play them while away on business trips because the system requirements are low.

The original Konung looks pretty much the same as the new one, suggesting that they used the same graphics engine. It looks a little bit like Rage of Mages, so the graphics are probably good enough to not be an issue with the game but certainly not stunning.

The first Konung was a RTS/RPG, as is the sequel. You could control up to 10 heroes, and apparently the characters and dialogue were good. Negatives were: simple quests, lack of a magic system and the need for micromanagement in battles. Konung 2 claims to have addressed those issues, although I saw no mention of magic because - I assume - it is meant to be a historical RPG.

The games are compared to Diablo, although I suspect a much less polished implementation. Interestingly, the plot of Konung 2 is that the hero of Konung 1 has been transformed into the evil guy. Sound familiar?

Based on my experience with Rage of Mages, which I think was basically underated in the US because it was old school, Konung 1 and 2 warrants a closer look.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
I liked the Rage Of Mages games. And, like you Limorkil, I'm a big Scandinavian myths buff. That was the big lure of Rune for me. The Norse mythos are the shit. Guess I'll have to keep an eye on this and hope it comes this way soon.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I played the first one. It was out years ago. It wasn't really that bad, it was just a little hard, IMHO. Basically, it's a CRPG, but it allows you to have town settlements. You train a blacksmith in a town, which costs a little gold and resources, then you move him to the new town so that it has a blacksmith. You repeat that for the other trademen. That way, you have a fully functioning town near where you're doing your thing.

It had some other interesting features, like being able to brew and mix your own potions.

taks

Liturgist
RoM was terrible... i uninstalled after only a few hours. if the graphics of this game are the same, i'm kinda wondering what they were thinking. RoM came out what, 5 years ago?...

wait - just pulled one of the screens, not nearly as coarse as RoM. all in all, the whole viking thing sounds cool, though i'm a bit put off by the RTS components with town building and all... dunno, given the current lack of ANYTHING ELSE (not sure if the vampire thing is my bag), maybe i'll give it a shot.

taks

Dhruin

Liturgist
I can't believe how useless some of these small publishers are. I wouldn't expect any sort of serious marketing budget for a game like this but they could at least "use" resources like gaming sites. Sending out the occasional PR mail about new screens or a development update gets you a free newsbit on a bunch of sites...it won't sell a million copies but readerss may have at least heard of it.

Fez

Erudite
It sounds similar to the old Gobisoft game Legion. I'll have to look out for some decent reviews.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
If they eased back on the difficulty of the second one from the first one, it will be a really enjoyable game. The difficulty made the combat fairly frantic, and being real time, that was kind of a nuisence. However, it had some really interesting ideas.

Fez

Erudite
I thought we were supposed to be above liking a game purely for it having particle effects?

Plenty of fans who even play ADOM and Angband, and Konung is far from ascii characters.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Well, Exitium is the resident graphics whore. You guys should know that by now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom