Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Avadon: The Black Fortress Interview

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Avadon: The Black Fortress; Jeff Vogel; Spiderweb Software

<p><a href="http://www.subgamers.com/interview-with-jeff-vogel-of-spiderweb-software-avadon-the-black-fortress-more-230.html" target="_blank">Subgamers talked to Jeff Vogel</a> on <strong>Avadon: The Black Fortress</strong> and game development in general.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>How large is you team and in how many areas of the game development are you involved personally? It seems a huge amount of work - writing the game concept with all the details, doing the graphics the programming, the sounds, scripts and so on&hellip;in my mind it would take a huge team - So how big are you and how long have you been working on your latest game Avadon the Black Fortress?</strong><br /><br />J.V: Spiderweb has three full-time employees and a handful of freelancers. Art is done by others. I do design and coding. Avadon took about fifteen months of hard work. Fortunately, I&rsquo;ve been doing this for a long time, and I&rsquo;ve become very efficient.<br /><br /><strong>I understand you got the idea for the plot from an opera you saw (blue beard) obviously the idea mutated from the original story to become you game or base for your game - could you elaborate on your process here? (do you write/brainstorm/teamwork/ just let it be until it happens alone)</strong><br /><br />J.V: It took years. Once I had the basic idea, I worried at it in my head for a long time, rounding it out, adapting it to work as I game, and putting in the neat ideas that slowly came to me.<br /><br /><strong>The theme in Avadon is Power and how you can use (or misuse it), and as you stated - that could potentially lead to a game with a very dark mood. You prefer a humorous game - How do you accomplish that without compromising the theme and not making a farce out of it? Power after all, is quite a serious thing.</strong><br /><br />J.V: It is possible to mix serious issues and humor. Fantasy RPGs lend themselves very well to this. It&rsquo;s a big world with tons of characters and writing. I can put in a lot of variety in mood.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Have you ever noticed that Jeff is always very concise with his answers as if he had to squeeze out every single sentence under severe pain?</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Anyway, if you want to beta-test the Windows version, <a href="http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/testing/beta_test.html" target="_blank">apply here</a>.</p>

Gwendo

Augur
Come on, the guy lives in a basement, making computer games. What do you expect from his social skills?

Krash

Arcane
Brevity is the soul of wit. Much better than the meandering dumbfuck answers saying nothing of value which you normally get from big studio devs

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
he gets straight to the point and actually even within one or two sentences says more than many interviewed people in dozens. I see nothing wrong with it.

Krash said:
Brevity is the soul of wit. Much better than the meandering dumbfuck answers saying nothing of value which you normally get from big studio devs

efGkZ.jpg

youhomofo

Augur
Krash said:

+1

He's actually a decent writer.

Yeesh

Magister
I think he's just tired of answering the same boring questions again and again. The man's been interviewed plenty of times, and he has a blog. If you're going to ask him some questions, try to come up with ones he hasn't already answered.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom