Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dragon Age II selling so well - play Mass Effect 2 for FREE

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age 2

<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Chris Priestly at the BioWare Social forums <a href="http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/315/index/6945066/1#6945259 ">announced today</a>:</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Thanks to gamers like you, Dragon Age II is off to a great start &ndash; breaking the 1 million mark in less than two weeks and faster than Dragon Age: Origins. We appreciate your support. As a special thank you for helping with the game&rsquo;s early success, BioWare would like to present you with a download code for 2010&rsquo;s Game of the Year, Mass Effect 2 on PC.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>As always, we sincerely appreciate your support and passion as we remain focused on delivering quality interactive experiences now and in the future. Look for more exciting things coming from Dragon Age, Mass Effect, and Star Wars: The Old Republic in the future, including our recent launch of Mass Effect 2 Arrival DLC.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>This special offer is however only open until April 30, 2011 at 11:59pm PDT.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>More specifics of this offer can be found here: <a href="http://dragonage.bioware.com/me2offer/">http://dragonage.bioware.com/me2offer/&nbsp;</a></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/315/index/6945066/1#6945259">Bioware Social Network</a></p>

Stalin

Scholar
So consumers get something for free: thats good in my book. The 2 games are very much alike. ME2 has loads of DLC they can try to sell to the new customers. You guys want DA/Bioware to fail so badly its almost pathetic And no i haven't bought it. I f i want a gay romance simulator i just come here

Cynic

Arcane
This is...weird. I'm pretty sure most people who own a PC that can play modern games and bought this PoS already have ME2. Smells like desperation to me, and sounds like they have fallen well short of their target for sales on the platform. Why else would they do this? They're not looking for existing customers, they want new customers who think "oh wow 2 games for 1".

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Freelance Henchman said:
Make it ME3 and I'd do it.

Not even that kind of offer would get me to Play Dragon Age II.

But I already have Mass Effect 3 on pre-order. :smug:

The sweet smell of desperation.

That first quote in the thread made me :lol:

deuxhero

Arcane
1 million in 2 weeks?

Pokemon is at 3 million in 2 weeks, and likely cost less to make, plus it's actually fun :smug:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Serious_Business said:
Jaesun said:
Freelance Henchman said:
Make it ME3 and I'd do it.

Not even that kind of offer would get me to Play Dragon Age II.

You only say this because you fear what you really want. :smug:

which isnt a cock

Naw, I heard on the codex that Dragon Age II was kind of gay. So I don't have any interest in it.

Cynic

Arcane
To be fair there was no way they were ever going to touch pokemon in sales, few games can

kofeur

Liturgist
They really seem desperate now... I wonder what they'll do next

deuxhero

Arcane
Cynic said:
To be fair there was no way they were ever going to touch pokemon in sales, few games can

Still, 1 mil at this point pretty much makes the 4.6 million needed impossible.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Why do they call ME2 a "Game of the Year"? I'd guess there are enough "Game of the Year" awards to make the concept meaningless without citing some reference.

Cynic

Arcane
deuxhero said:
Cynic said:

Yep, totally. It's interesting how they just say 1 million and do not mention platform, yet offer the bonus specifically for the PC. It's obvious that the PC numbers must be lagging far behind the consoles. If they only cracked 1 million in 2 weeks across all platforms then that really is quite shit.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Mass Effect 3 will sell well/better than ME2 when it comes out. So they won't need to pull out anything as drastic as they need to do for DA II sales. r00fles!

Antihero

Liturgist
I guess I'm just stupid, but I don't understand this deal at all. On the EA store, ME2 is selling for $19.95, while DA2 still costs $59.95.

Why should I pay $59.95 for ME2?

Edit: typo, stupid one even.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Cynic said:
Yep, totally. It's interesting how they just say 1 million and do not mention platform, yet offer the bonus specifically for the PC. It's obvious that the PC numbers must be lagging far behind the consoles. If they only cracked 1 million in 2 weeks across all platforms then that really is quite shit.

Roofles. Boolshit. 1 million within 2 weeks is fine for a BioWare title, especially one developed in a shortened developing cycle. This is telling us something about the dropoff since those two weeks, not those two weeks themselves.

Antihero

Liturgist
Brother None said:
Cynic said:

Roofles. Boolshit. 1 million within 2 weeks is fine for a BioWare title, especially one developed in a shortened developing cycle. This is telling us something about the dropoff since those two weeks, not those two weeks themselves.
A lot of preorders didn't get cancelled even after the demo or some bought it on good faith? /Captain Obvious.

Not sure if we'll even get to see any NPD data for March anymore. Not that it was supposedly completely accurate and didn't include digital sales, but still seemed better than nothing, or by extension, VGChartz.

Cynic

Arcane
Brother None said:
Cynic said:

Sorry but the "for a Bioware title" excuse doesn't fly anymore. They are not an independent company anymore, they are an arm of EA. EA will have certain expectations when it comes to the sales figures of their acquisitions.

You're right, it does tell us a lot about the drop off, but do you really think the executives at EA will be satisfied with 1 million in 2 weeks across all platforms? I guess it would only be acceptable if the net profit is substantial.

They definitely aren't going to reach 4.5 million.

Yeesh

Magister
Why the hell are so very many people here so vested in DA2 not being a financial success? So many of the games and franchises the Codex despises make tons of money. So fucking what? Unless you're going to start accepting big profits as the mark of a good game, it doesn't make sense to look for all shit games to be fiscal failures.

Haven't we already come to terms with the fact that what's good and what people buy are not related in the least? Give it a rest already.

Cynic said:
deuxhero said:
Cynic said:

I doubt that they are doing it because they are afraid of PC numbers falling. They probably don't have the authority to give away xbox/ps3 games, microsoft or sony would have to authorize the whole thing.

ortucis

Prophet
Yeesh said:
Why the hell are so very many people here so vested in DA2 not being a financial success? So many of the games and franchises the Codex despises make tons of money. So fucking what? Unless you're going to start accepting big profits as the mark of a good game, it doesn't make sense to look for all shit games to be fiscal failures.

Most PC gamers are just pissed off that BioWare prioritizes consoles over PC even though "PC made them" (or some similar shit, like with Epic). Probably why everyone is busy fapping to BioWare' failures.

As far as I am concerned, I didn't like DA2 much compared to DA:O, but it's still better than having no RPG on PC at all. Consoles are flooded with RPG's in comparison (esp. JRPG's).

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
ortucis said:
As far as I am concerned, I didn't like DA2 much compared to DA:O, but it's still better than having no RPG on PC at all.

wat?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom