Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dragon Age II selling so well - play Mass Effect 2 for FREE

ortucis

Prophet
Jaesun said:
ortucis said:
As far as I am concerned, I didn't like DA2 much compared to DA:O, but it's still better than having no RPG on PC at all.

wat?

*I meant no "AAA" RPG.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Yeesh said:
Haven't we already come to terms with the fact that what's good and what people buy are not related in the least?

They are actually related to some degree. The point of course is to glee in joy as Bioware burns to the ground. What other reason do we need?

Rhalle

Magister
kofeur said:
They really seem desperate now... I wonder what they'll do next

last-starfighter-37.jpg

MetalCraze

Arcane
Jaesun said:
ortucis said:
As far as I am concerned, I didn't like DA2 much compared to DA:O, but it's still better than having no RPG on PC at all.

wat?

There were no RPGs before DA:O

I mean "AAA" RPGs which are probably something with gay sex?

Whenever it may have been that Bioware invented the RPG, the important thing is to remember that all the old stuff sucks and DA2/ME2 are the greatest RPGs gaming has ever seen.

J1M

Arcane
This is probably just a stress test of the EA online digital distribution network and instead of offering a free beta they are trying to drive DA2 sales.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Serious_Business said:
Guys I heard about this really old game called Balders Gate which was also made by Bioware :o

FYI, BG2 is not an CRPG. It's a western style JRPG.

Seolas

Liturgist
ME2 is much, much, much better than DA2. So you're basically buying a mediocre game and getting a much better one for nothing.

I read somewhere you get the Cerberus Network free too, so that's Zaeed and the Hammerhead DLC for nothing.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO LOLLOLLOL SKYWAY TALKING ABOUT THE FIRST RPG LOLLOLOLOL BRO I WILL GIVE YOU A HINT RPGS HAVE BEEN AROUND BEFORE BIOWARE LOLOLLOLLOL

BRO YOU KNOW YOU WANT SOMETHING WITH A LITTLE ROMANCE TO GET YOU THROUGH THE SEVENTH PLAYTHROUGH LOLLOLLOLOL BRO SERIOUSLY YOU GOTTA STOP SOMETIMES YOU ARE AS NEWFAG AS THEY GET

Seolas said:
ME2 is much, much, much better than DA2. So you're basically buying a mediocre game and getting a much better one for nothing.

I read somewhere you get the Cerberus Network free too, so that's Zaeed and the Hammerhead DLC for nothing.

I don't see your point, you can buy ME2 for 20 bucks and with DA2 retailing for 60 you'd still be paying around 40 bucks for a mediocre game that isn't worth your money to begin with.

Cynic

Arcane
Overweight Manatee said:
I doubt that they are doing it because they are afraid of PC numbers falling. They probably don't have the authority to give away xbox/ps3 games, microsoft or sony would have to authorize the whole thing.

Why would you doubt this? Out of all the gamers that are panning this game, the PC gamers are the most pissed of (and for good reason). I would not be surprised in the slightest if their numbers on the PC are far below expectations. They'd be setting sales targets across all platforms, no doubt they wanted the highest sales on the 360 for this game (which their brainless marketing has no doubt achieved), but they honestly thought that people would "come along for the ride" with them on this one. Well, I think a lot of people said you know what? Fuck you and fuck your ride. This game is bullshit and I'm not fucking buying it. I am one of those gamers, I bet there are many others.

So to me, this looks like a desperate ploy to say to PC gamers who might have not picked up ME2

"hey, please buy our PoS, we'll even give you this free game, which has a lot of DLC you could buy down the track...and which has a sequel coming out in 4, 3 ,2 ,1....PROFIT! Wait...did I say that last part...because I was meant to just think it..."

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
J1M said:
This is probably just a stress test of the EA online digital distribution network and instead of offering a free beta they are trying to drive DA2 sales.

This is actually a viable explanation, but I doubt it's their primary motive. I still think they're doing it to drive sales, probably in an effort to tap into that vaunted CoD crowd; they're the people who probably don't have ME2 but might be interested in it. Whether the strategy will work is anyone's guess.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Antihero said:
A lot of preorders didn't get cancelled even after the demo
A local major online store still has signature editions available at only +5$ price than the regular ones, so I get it a lot did cancel.

Suchy

Arcane
Yeesh said:
Why the hell are so very many people here so vested in DA2 not being a financial success? So many of the games and franchises the Codex despises make tons of money. So fucking what? Unless you're going to start accepting big profits as the mark of a good game, it doesn't make sense to look for all shit games to be fiscal failures.

Haven't we already come to terms with the fact that what's good and what people buy are not related in the least? Give it a rest already.
Shit games selling well fuel the decline and can be genre killers. Look what happened to RPGs after the release of Diablo.

Cynic said:
Overweight Manatee said:
I doubt that they are doing it because they are afraid of PC numbers falling. They probably don't have the authority to give away xbox/ps3 games, microsoft or sony would have to authorize the whole thing.

Why would you doubt this? Out of all the gamers that are panning this game, the PC gamers are the most pissed of (and for good reason). I would not be surprised in the slightest if their numbers on the PC are far below expectations. They'd be setting sales targets across all platforms, no doubt they wanted the highest sales on the 360 for this game (which their brainless marketing has no doubt achieved), but they honestly thought that people would "come along for the ride" with them on this one. Well, I think a lot of people said you know what? Fuck you and fuck your ride. This game is bullshit and I'm not fucking buying it. I am one of those gamers, I bet there are many others.

So to me, this looks like a desperate ploy to say to PC gamers who might have not picked up ME2

"hey, please buy our PoS, we'll even give you this free game, which has a lot of DLC you could buy down the track...and which has a sequel coming out in 4, 3 ,2 ,1....PROFIT! Wait...did I say that last part...because I was meant to just think it..."

I don't doubt that PC numbers are low, I doubt that Bioware is targeting PC players exclusively. Numbers aren't too great across all platforms, the only reason they aren't expanding this deal to try and squeeze out more console sales is because Microsoft/Sony would be losing profit off of it.

Antihero

Liturgist
Irxy said:
Antihero said:
A lot of preorders didn't get cancelled even after the demo
A local major online store still has signature editions available at only +5$ price than the regular ones, so I get it a lot did cancel.
Interesting. I don't know how widespread it was, but it seemed like a lot of stores were cancelling those signature edition pre-orders for no discernible reason, according to some whining forum posts I saw a while back. EA supposedly would have been able to meet the demand for them at the time - maybe the stores saw the writing on the wall?

DaveO

Erudite
I got the Last Starfighter joke as well. I can't see the logic behind offering Mass Effect 2 with Dragon Age 2. If you already know that DA2 is a bad game, then you're paying $60 for ME2. As other posters have mentioned, it's far better to pay the $20 than three times that much for the same game along with the abomination known as DA2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom