Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Getting Down And Dirty With Todd Howard

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

<p>Enjoy your <a href="http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/60026/IGN-Gets-Down-And-Dirty-With-TES-Skyrim-Game-Director-Todd-Howard" target="_blank">4:30 minutes of Todd Howard</a> explaining to you the gameplay changes you'll see in Skyrim.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>If you're a fan of the Elder Scrolls series then you already know who Todd Howard is. If not, he's the Game Director over the TES games aka one of the guys focused on making the game fun. In a recent interview with IGN Howard goes over the gameplay changes in Skyrim, and how other titles influenced the evolution of not just the gameplay but even the engine itself.</p>
</blockquote>

Drakron

Arcane
mysterious-stranger said:
I am not watching anything with the words "Getting Down And Dirty" in the title unless it involves two women.

Second.

Arcanoix

Scholar
"emotionally" leveling up....mhm....right.... Does he even realize how fucking ridic. he sounds?

Bahamut

Arcane
Arcanoix said:
"emotionally" leveling up....mhm....right.... Does he even realize how fucking ridic. he sounds?

Actualy morons on Bethpizda forums fap to any fart Todd mades even to most absturd ones, they really love that idiot there even when he has charisma of a boiled potato

Ok, I watched it, accepting the fact I will have the mental picture of Todd Howard getting down and dirty scarring me for life.

I'm cautious about this whole removing attributes thing, one of my favorite things about dialogue trees is getting stat and class based dialogue, and I can't see much being done with that with only three attributes.

.Sigurd

Educated
Ok, I watched it, accepting the fact I will have the mental picture of Todd Howard getting down and dirty scarring me for life.

I'm cautious about this whole removing attributes thing, one of my favorite things about dialogue trees is getting stat and class based dialogue, and I can't see much being done with that with only three attributes.
It's The Elder Scrolls, a dungeon-crawler game (or was) with a bit of open world exploration. Leave C&C and dialogue trees for Fallout.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
.Sigurd said:

It's The Elder Scrolls, a dungeon-crawler game (or was) with a bit of open world exploration. Leave C&C and dialogue trees for Fallout.

I was asking me the same, have there been ever any skillchecks/rolls in Bethesda Games (except "fallout" 3) ?

Yes.

There wasn't much being done with that dialog-wise back when they had 7 attribute statistics either.

They were nowhere near as pointless as DA2's attributes and I would have preferred it if they went vampire the masquerade's 1-5 ranks for physical attributes but it's not much of a loss. Losing out on factions/guilds is going to make for a much worse elder scrolls game than losing the attributes will.

Well considering they were going on about choices earlier, I don't know how they're going to implement that

They got rid of physical attribute statistics(for the player to increase upon level-up at least), they didn't get rid of all statistics(such as skills- speechcraft).

.Sigurd

Educated
Surf Solar said:
.Sigurd said:

I was asking me the same, have there been ever any skillchecks/rolls in Bethesda Games (except "fallout" 3) ?
Only a bit, like the Daggerfall ending and kill or do not kill Vivec.

Secretninja

Cipher
I am glad they were able to squeeze enough out of current gen systems to implement dragons. That is quite a feat.

User was nabbed fit

Probably the scariest topic title I've ever read on the Codex.

hakuroshi

Augur
Surf Solar said:

There were a few in Morrowind. I don't remember anything in Oblivion, not in vanilla one at least.
Daggerfall had no skillcheks apart from combat and guildranks. It had c&c though. Not as much and as elaborate as in Fallout or Arcanum, but they were nice.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
hakuroshi said:
Surf Solar said:

There were a few in Morrowind. I don't remember anything in Oblivion, not in vanilla one at least.

I just remember one: Namira required you to have a low personality to give you her quest. I don't even remember if they tell you about it explicitly in-game, they just tell you you're not ugly enough. If they're hidden it's possible there are more I just didn't notice.

Coyote

Arcane

.Sigurd said:

Well considering they were going on about choices earlier, I don't know how they're going to implement that

To be fair, different paths/dialogues based on stats and C&C are two different elements of gameplay; though they often go hand-in-hand, neither requires the other (e.g., some shooters and adventure games with no player-assigned stats whatsoever or JRPGs where stats only affect combat still have C&C; some games like Deus Ex have multiple paths that cater to different skillsets but which all lead to the same end result, with choices made by the player being independent of the skills they use). Also, Skyrim will still have skills, so the potential for dialogues based on them is still there.

Of course, Bethesda claiming to have meaningful choices in Skyrim is suspect for other reasons.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
hakuroshi said:
Surf Solar said:

Daggerfall had no skillcheks apart from combat and guildranks. It had c&c though. Not as much and as elaborate as in Fallout or Arcanum, but they were nice.

So fucking what? Did anyone pay attention to Bethesda recent attempt at an RPG? Fallout 3 ring any bells for anyone?

C&C was ass, the dialog was dog shit, and they fucked up the main story so badly they needed a DLC to fix the god damn plot hole at the end of the main quest.

No, Bethesda is making a good choice of staying the fuck away from RPGs and making action-RPG hiking simulators. Let them keep outsourcing the Fallout franchise to OE. Or any company that can coherently.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom