Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Witcher guys interviewed

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher, The

We've posted <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=112">an interview</a> with <A href="http://www.cdprojekt.pl">CD Projekt</a> talking about their upcoming Aurora engine powered CRPG, <A href="http://www.thewitcher.com">The Witcher</a>. Here's a bit of it:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><i>3. Why have you decided to work with BioWare? Why did you use the Aurora engine instead of your own one?</i>
<br>
<br>
Our cooperation with BioWare has a long history. It has all started with our publishing of their game "Shattered Steel" in Poland. Then we got to know each other better while localizing Baldur's Gate, which was by the way one of the best selling games in the history of Polish game industry.
<br>
<br>
As for choosing Aurora, it started in the E3 trade show i 2003. We visited the BioWare booth to see their new games, and although we were already looking for available engines, we didn't come up with asking BioWare. And then we med Diarmid, which told us that they're thinking of licensing Aurora. Two months later we were testing 4 engines, including Aurora.
<br>
<br>
The choice was much easier than we thought. The biggest advantage of Aurora was the amount of tools for creating cRPGs, and this was the most important feature to us. Spectacular graphics were not as important. We knew that we would have to practically make the graphics engine from scratch anyway to make it fit our vision of the game. I hope it's visible in the screenshots that our modifying of Aurora is going smoothly. We also achieved the graphics quality comparable to FPP games, and The Witcher uses an isometric camera view! We went so far with our modifications that it turned out that there are few games with graphics as detailed and immersive as ours, and we are of course very happy about it.
<br>
<br>
Choosing Aurora also gave us another chance of working with BioWare, the maker of the best RPGs! </blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Damn slippery slopes.
<br>

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Choosing Aurora also gave us another chance of working with BioWare, the maker of the best RPGs!

Sounds like this guy's been talking to Volourn.

The game sounds interesing and the graphics are very nice. One of my big gripes with the interview is on question 14.

14.Is the story linear? Is it divided into chapters or can we freely travel around the world and discover new locations and threads of the story?

The Witcher tells the story of a man who, trying to discover his own identity and to rescue the heritage of his brotherhood, becomes involved in events of global scale. The game’s world is alive – the kings start new wars, the spies plan new coup d'états, and most of these events cannot be influenced by the hero at all. Of course, some decisions of the player will have consequences in the longer run, but they will mostly involve only Geralt himself – he can return to places he already visited whenever he wants, choose sides in conflicts and decide on his own future.

Why is it that when people are disussing their games, they almost inevitably find a question that they don't really want to answer directly. He doesn't answer whether or not the story is linear or not. It seems to me that developers do this when they don't feel adequate telling people the truth and it annoys the hell out of me. It isn't something only specific to the guys a CDProjekt, I just thought I would point it out this time because it is always so frustrating.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I thought their category of gaming development was more like "adventure games with some 'add numbers to statistics'-action"?

Anyway, this does it. I'm not going to like The Witcher. Fricking smugsuckers.

Mendoza

Liturgist
dojoteef said:
Why is it that when people are disussing their games, they almost inevitably find a question that they don't really want to answer directly. He doesn't answer whether or not the story is linear or not. It seems to me that developers do this when they don't feel adequate telling people the truth and it annoys the hell out of me. It isn't something only specific to the guys a CDProjekt, I just thought I would point it out this time because it is always so frustrating.

Is this different to any other industry? Where ever there are questions people don't want to answer, there are people dodging them.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
14.Is the story linear? Is it divided into chapters or can we freely travel around the world and discover new locations and threads of the story?
I don't think this options are exclusive. Anyway, I think I remember from Polish boards that the main story will be linear and divided into chapters. I'm SURE I remember that you won't be able to discover any locations by yourself - someone will have to tell you about them, which imo sucks ass just as in BG2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom