Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Mass Effect 3 Delayed Until Q1 2012

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Mass Effect 3

<p><a href="http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/129/index/7294706" target="_blank">According to Chris Priestly</a> Mass Effect 3 will be delayed a few months.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Today we have confirmed that Mass Effect 3 will be released in the first three months of 2012. The development team is laser focused on making sure Mass Effect 3 is the biggest, boldest and best game in the series, ensuring that it exceeds everyone&rsquo;s expectations.&rdquo;&nbsp; said Casey Hudson, Executive Producer Mass Effect series.<br /><br />We'll have more details about specific dates as we get closer to release.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Additionally, Mass Effect 3 will be aimed at &ldquo;Larger Audiences&rdquo; <a href="http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/05/05/mass-effect-3-aimed-at-larger-audiences/" target="_blank">reports RPS</a>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><em>&ldquo;One of the things that Ray Muzyuka and the team up in Edmonton have done is essentially step-by-step adjust the gameplay mechanics and some of the features that you&rsquo;ll see at E3 to put this in a genre equivalent to shooter-meets-RPG,&rdquo; he said, &ldquo;and essentially address a much larger market opportunity than Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2 began to approach.</em></p>
<p><em>&ldquo;We&rsquo;re huge believers in the IP and are purposefully shifting it to address a larger market opportunity.&rdquo;</em></p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/102707-mass-effect-3-to-be-released-q1-2012-screenshots-released.html">GB</a></p>

Black

Arcane
SCO said:
Hope it flops!
High five! o/
For some time at least General RPG Discussion won't be spammed to hell with me3faggotry.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
VentilatorOfDoom said:
“One of the things that Ray Muzyuka and the team up in Edmonton have done is essentially step-by-step adjust the gameplay mechanics and some of the features that you’ll see at E3 to put this in a genre equivalent to shooter-meets-RPG,” he said,

So whats new?

Coboney

Scholar
Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
I guess someone somewhere realized in EA/Bioware headquarters thats rushing out DA2 didn't go so well so approved the waiting here..... maybe?

saenz

Scholar
Hysael said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Additionally, Mass Effect 3 will be aimed at “Larger Audiences”

How can that be larger than ME2 ? :?

Clearly, ME3 will either be a Zynga-style facebook game or playable on mobile devices.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I kind of actually want ME3 to be a decent game. I mean, I don't have very much else to look forward to.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Insane Psychic said:
Less skills, less weapons, less conversation, less characterisation, one-button-does-all! (Especially awesome things)
ME2 is already less complex than Call of Duty. While it's certainly possible for them to dumb things down further, I doubt that will substantially broaden their potential customer base-

Spectacle said:
Insane Psychic said:
Less skills, less weapons, less conversation, less characterisation, one-button-does-all! (Especially awesome things)
ME2 is already less complex than Call of Duty. While it's certainly possible for them to dumb things down further, I doubt that will substantially broaden their potential customer base-

You haven't thought it through. Let's go through some dumbing down together, and I'll explain how it will broaden their customer base:

- Infra red targetting of weapons --> saves having to aim the gun --> attract customers with slow reflexes
- Removal of galaxy map --> allow the story be fully on rails --> attracts customers who lack the IQ to navigate to a planet through the complex Cluster first, System next method (aka the clunky route)
- Removal of all weapons besides the SMG --> saves having to decide between sniper rifle and shotgun --> attracts customers who think their Shepard didn't look cool wearing a shotgun
- Removal of the Citadel --> saves spending time on non-combat --> attracts customers who don't like quests

Simples. ;)

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
I wonder how much of the extra time they'll spend developing launch-day DLC's to sell to stupid people.

Micmu

Magister
Sulimo said:
I wonder how much of the extra time they'll spend developing launch-day DLC's to sell to stupid people.
As much as it takes them to cut out some parts of an already finished game and (re)package resource files; no planning ahead is required just a split-second decision from execs what is "appropriate" to be sold separately (to imbeciles) or make it an awesome omg irresistible pre-order/collector's edition bonus. With no shame whatsoever. Do you think they do it any differently?

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
How awesome would it be if they made Shepard a DLC-only character. Imagine the butthurt if the real protagonist is Conrad Verner or something, and they'd have to shell out an additional $20 for Shepard himself. It'd be glorious.

Turjan

Arcane
micmu said:
Sulimo said:
As much as it takes them to cut out some parts of an already finished game and (re)package resource files; no planning ahead is required just a split-second decision from execs what is "appropriate" to be sold separately (to imbeciles) or make it an awesome omg irresistible pre-order/collector's edition bonus. With no shame whatsoever. Do you think they do it any differently?
Well, that is shamelessly obvious nowadays. In ME2, you could not enter the Normandy's starboard cargo bay without DLC from the Cerberus Network. You could not enter the port observation deck without additional paid DLC. This is already very much in your face with its "we left this out for you to pay extra" attitude.

Project: Eternity
Sulimo said:
How awesome would it be if they made Shepard a DLC-only character. Imagine the butthurt if the real protagonist is Conrad Verner or something, and they'd have to shell out an additional $20 for Shepard himself. It'd be glorious.

Hell, imagine the screams if Tali's romance is DLC.

aries202

Erudite
Bioware games will not compete with the call of duty games, or even Uncharted, or Assasin's Creed - ever - in terms of sales. And by making bioware's rpg games more like the call of duty games, bioware is losing what made their games unique. And the reason why people where buying them in the first game - the story-driven games with character development etc. etc. that has rpg, exploration and some choice and consequences written all over them. I do think that the mind of the people have shifted, though. People today want original, unique and creative works, I think - both of the the developers of videogames and from say moviemakers and bookwriters (authors).

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
As long as ME3 has female Shepard and EXTREME renegade options i'm going to play this shit. Mass Effect is my guilty pleasure.

Mass Effect 3 will do away with role-playing elements that don't "have a real impact in the battle", senior designer Christina Norman told Official Xbox Magazine today.

"We want to enrich the role-playing aspects of the game, while making sure that they're always meaningful in combat," she said when asked about how the faster, fluider combat gelled with the game's RPG systems.

They're doing away with what didn't exist. :lol:

pocahaunted

Arcane
Sulimo said:

I'm pretty sure if that ever happened there'd be a bunch of morons lauding bioware for providing awesome day one DLC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom