Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review AVault mehs Bloodlines

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Troika Games; Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

<a href=http://www.avault.com>Adrenaline Vault</a>'s beefy <a href=http://www.avault.com/reviews/review_temp.asp?game=bloodlines&page=1>review</a> of Bloodlines is up. Their verdict: <b>3.5 stars out of 5</b>. That score is dragged down by surprisingly low marks for graphics and sound, though.<blockquote>Bloodlines is a strange case of polarized objective / subjective opinion. From a purely objective standpoint, the poor use of the Source engine’s capabilities makes for a disappointing offering. Speaking subjectively, I’ve enjoyed Bloodlines more than any other RPG since Knights of the Old Republic or perhaps Morrowind. Had Troika spent more time perfecting the graphics and sound, I would have more than likely given this a Seal of Excellence, and not just because the designers have done such a great job tipping the hat to the gothic subculture. Given some extra post-release love via heavy handed patching, Bloodlines has the potential to become a truly majestic role playing game. As it stands right now, it’s like eating a bagel with some mud on it. Sure, the cream cheese might be divine, but you’ll still be able to taste the mud. If you’re going to pick this release up, brace yourself for some serious mixed emotions.</blockquote>He's right about the mud, but he's finding it in the wrong place.
<br>
<br>
Thanks to <b>LlamaGod</b> for the heads up.

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
I'm with you on this one Spazmo, he's seeing the mud in the wrong place. Graphics are not sub par by any stretch of the imagination. It has better graphics than any recently released RPG that I know of, so bitching that it doesn't live up to HL2's grahpics is really stupid in my opinion. It's already been covered on this forum the real problems with this game; those are bugs and some design issues.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
"Some" design issues? I'd say it's design issues with half of the entire game and everything relating to the combat. But yeah, Spazmo's right on the money about the Avault reviewer. The graphics didn't give me anything to complain about though the sluggish performance in the hubs definitely merits some a good scowl.

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Well maybe I'm not as critical as you are with the game Exitium. I only think there are some problems, not that half the game is poorly designed.

Old Scratch

Liturgist
Exitium said:
"Some" design issues? I'd say it's design issues with half of the entire game and everything relating to the combat. But yeah, Spazmo's right on the money about the Avault reviewer. The graphics didn't give me anything to complain about though the sluggish performance in the hubs definitely merits some a good scowl.

That's debatable. Some people liked the combat--like me. I think they did an outstanding job with it. The ending hackfest areas don't make up half of the game either (making an assumption that's what you're talking about), more like a 1/4...if that, and those were really the only design flaws IMO.

The graphics were definitely above average though, I don't undrestand that guys complaint at all. Yeah, Doom 3, Far Cry, and Half-Life 2 still outdo it in terms of graphics, but I would think that's to be expected. An RPG shouldn't even be compared to games like that as far as visual quality goes.

I experienced no slowdown with maximum settings, so no complaints there either.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"The ending hackfest areas don't make up half of the game either (making an assumption that's what you're talking about), more like a 1/4..."

Well. Let's be honest. The game is 25% hackfest, 25% load time, and 50% good game (good game includes the parts where the combat is actually worthwhile ie. most bosses).

"I experienced no slowdown with maximum settings, so no complaints there either."

Your lucky. All i do is suffer slow downs and screwed up engine crap. And, let's not ignore - oncer again - the worst load times of ANY game I have EVER played.

I think the review is fair. I disagree with the graphics and sound comments though. Those are awesome. Of course, what the morons in this thread don't understand apparantly is that graphics and sound and other poo like that is ALL opinion.

Between KOTOR2 and Bl; the whining fanboys really make me laugh. Waaa! Someone doesn't like the game as much as me. Boo hoo!

Go cry a river and drown in it. Thank you very much. :twisted:

P.S. Horry! I didn't get the Super Leopold Bug tm at least! :D

Fez

Erudite
No matter what you may think of the game itself, the review was badly written. It is pretty sad when at least half of the reviews posted in a thread here are far better than the "pro" reviews.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
As I said before, I don't get many load time problems, and the game's definitely faster than DXIW and Thief 3, but compared to Half Life 2, it's rather humiliating.

Surlent

Liturgist
Tells something about net journalism. It sucks goatballs.

Volourn said:
Well. Let's be honest. The game is 25% hackfest, 25% load time, and 50% good game
With my fairly new comp, load times aren't any pain. So for me it's 20%hackfest, 5%loadtimes and 75%most excellent stuff.

And the graphics, come on, they aren't just better than most rpgs to date. Hell, they are better than most games to date. Just taking a look to water effects and face animations should make this point clear enough for the reviewer.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
And the graphics, come on, they aren't just better than most rpgs to date. Hell, they are better than most games to date. Just taking a look to water effects and face animations should make this point clear enough for the reviewer.
What are you smoking? The textures look like crap and the models have some of the worst animations I've seen. Water effects, while good, and facial expressions can't save the game from looking ugly.

The problem with Bloodlines is that it is inconsistent in its presentation. The intro movie is proof enough. Beyond Good & Evil looks better and that's almost 2 years old.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"And the graphics, come on, they aren't just better than most rpgs to date. Hell, they are better than most games to date. Just taking a look to water effects and face animations should make this point clear enough for the reviewer."

Um.. Why are you desperately trying to convicne me of this? I LOVE the graphics. Like I said, though, graphics are like 95% opinion.

"With my fairly new comp, load times aren't any pain."

Irrelevant. My computer DESTROYS the reccommended specs and it doesn't help.

Surlent

Liturgist
Exitium said:
What are you smoking? ...
A lot of things. Textures aren't the best I agree, but just like Thief3 and DX:IW got later hi res textures, so could BL too (though they were made by fans).
I don't think the models themselves are bad at all.
Volourn said:
m.. Why are you desperately trying to convicne me of this?
I'm not. I know well it's impossible, once you're made up your mind. :wink:
Volourn said:
Irrelevant.
For you. Next ! :arrow:

Old Scratch

Liturgist
Volourn said:
"The ending hackfest areas don't make up half of the game either (making an assumption that's what you're talking about), more like a 1/4..."

Well. Let's be honest. The game is 25% hackfest, 25% load time, and 50% good game (good game includes the parts where the combat is actually worthwhile ie. most bosses).

"I experienced no slowdown with maximum settings, so no complaints there either."

Your lucky. All i do is suffer slow downs and screwed up engine crap. And, let's not ignore - oncer again - the worst load times of ANY game I have EVER played.

I think the review is fair. I disagree with the graphics and sound comments though. Those are awesome. Of course, what the morons in this thread don't understand apparantly is that graphics and sound and other poo like that is ALL opinion.

Between KOTOR2 and Bl; the whining fanboys really make me laugh. Waaa! Someone doesn't like the game as much as me. Boo hoo!

Go cry a river and drown in it. Thank you very much. :twisted:

Volourn, when did you get to be so bitchy? You were never like this on the BIS boards, and I'm one of the few people who never accused you of being a Bio fanboy, so don't start that bullshit of pretending I'm a Troika fanboy. :D This is StillLife btw.

Load times were short for me, they sure as hell didn't make up a quarter of the game. I can only go by personal experience, not what you claim to have experienced.

Graphical quality isn't an opinion in this case. You just have to compare it objectively to the standard of games today, and in that regard, Bloodlines is far from having subpar graphics. It's definitely got its share of problems, but visual quality ain't one of them.

No one's whining either you goof, just critiquing the guys review, which is one of the things that generates discussion here. Otherwise, they wouldn't post other sites reviews and allow comments on them.

P.S. Horry! I didn't get the Super Leopold Bug tm at least! :D

Had trouble understanding this, please try removing the dick from your hand and try typing it again. :P

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"I know well it's impossible"

Well. You are trying to convince me BL's graphics are good. That's impossible to convince me of as I already think they are good. So, once again, why are you trying so hard to convince me BL's graphics are good?

"Volourn, when did you get to be so bitchy? You were never like this on the BIS boards, and I'm one of the few people who never accused you of being a Bio fanboy, so don't start that bullshit of pretending I'm a Troika fanboy. This is StillLife btw."

The 'Codex corrupts. And, I'm always a jerk. I just have to pretend to be kinda civil on "official" baords so I'm not banned for being me. And, oh hi.

"Load times were short for me, they sure as hell didn't make up a quarter of the game. I can only go by personal experience, not what you claim to have experienced."

You are lucky. 25% is probably a exaggeration on my part; but laod times average between 10-20 seconds at least for me with some as "quick" as 5 sec and some as slow as a minute +.

"Graphical quality isn't an opinion in this case."

Yes, it is. It always is. I just have to remember MW for more evidence. most people love its graphics; but quite frankly I feel the graphics suck. theya re brown shit (literally) and if I were a puker they'd have amde me puke. Graphics are always opinion.

"No one's whining either you goof, just critiquing the guys review, which is one of the things that generates discussion here. Otherwise, they wouldn't post other sites reviews and allow comments on them."

There's a fine line between critique and whining. Sadly, on message boards; the lines is almost always crossed.

"Had trouble understanding this, please try removing the dick from your hand and try typing it again."

No. Anyone who has read more than 2 posts about BL knows what i refer to with that line.

Jinxed

Liturgist
The only gripe I have about the graphics is that they are kinda ugly up close. Excluding the character models... Loads of 2d stuff.

Why mention water? Looks like standard bump mapping we have seen in Morrowind years ago.

Surlent

Liturgist
Volourn said:
So, once again, why are you trying so hard to convince me BL's graphics are good?
My original post on the part of graphics was directed more to Rex's comment on the graphics, not to your game impressions.

suibhne

Erudite
Jinxed said:
Why mention water? Looks like standard bump mapping we have seen in Morrowind years ago.

I think the Source Engine's water looks much better than any previous attempts, including Morrowind. /tangent

Exitium said:
As I said before, I don't get many load time problems, and the game's definitely faster than DXIW and Thief 3, but compared to Half Life 2, it's rather humiliating.

That's interesting. HL2 load times are probably slower for me - and in any case I'm trying to figure out how your HL2 times could be much faster than your Bloodlines performance, since you previously claimed Bloodlines levels take only a few seconds on your rig.

EDIT: Aha - in the bit to which I responded, you were actually referencing overall game performance.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Jinxed said:
The only gripe I have about the graphics is that they are kinda ugly up close. Excluding the character models... Loads of 2d stuff.

The character models are one of the things that really makes the game look ugly, IMHO. If you're a melee/unarmed character, you're going to spend the majority of the game looking at that model, so those models should have been a lot better than they are. Heck, the nurse in the clinic in Santa Monica looks a hell of a lot better than the majority of the player models, and you only interact with her for maybe a minute of gameplay time through the course of the whole game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom