Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Preview

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher 2, The

<p>Gamebanshee provide an <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/previews/102772-the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings.html" target="_blank">in-depth hands-on preview</a> of <strong>The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings</strong>. Some samples:</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Before I get into the more intricate details, I can't help but spend a little time on just how amazing the game looks. With the settings cranked up to "High" (the "Ultra" settings had some instability issues in the early build I played), the characters, buildings, and environments all look spectacular. The amount of painstaking detail that went into crafting the early battle landscapes, the La Valette Castle courtyard, the town of Flotsam and its wilderness, and other such areas is simply staggering. With the addition of even more realistic day/night transitions and weather effects (blurred vision during torrential rain, anyone?) than we saw in the first game, The Witcher 2 is easily the best-looking RPG I've ever played. And I say that without any hesitation.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>And this one:</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>Alchemy, Crafting, and Encumbrance</strong> <br /><br /> The alchemy and crafting systems in The Witcher 2 are quite impressive and have considerably more depth than what we saw in the first title. Before you can start tinkering with either system, you'll need to track down some formulae (for alchemy) or some diagrams (for crafting) so that Geralt has the understanding necessary to create the new items. These are purchased from merchants for the most part, but you'll also pick up a few of the better ones as quest rewards or rare loot. Once you have a formula or diagram in hand, the specifics on what you'll need to craft the item and what the item's statistics will be once finished are automatically added to your journal for easy viewing. Concocting new potions, oils, or bombs is done via the game's meditation menu, while crafting must be done through a blacksmith or another merchant with the necessary tools.<br /><br /> By the time I had reached the end of Act 1, I had picked up nearly eighty different formulae and diagrams, and that had me ransacking every container I found in search of ingredients (using Geralt's medallion will highlight all lootable containers in the immediate vicinity, and because ingredients are so important, you'll be using it a lot). Some ingredients are very rare or even unique, such as the skin you're able to acquire from the kayran I mentioned previously. This forces you to make tough choices, as some diagrams call for the same one-shot ingredient in your inventory. Using the kayran skin as an example, I could choose between using it to craft a very nice armor upgrade called a "Kayran Carapace Reinforcement" or I could use it for some "Kayran Carapace Armor" that had the largest damage reduction bonus of any armor I'd yet seen in the game. Decisions, decisions.<br /><br /> While the categorized inventory screen makes it easy to view all of your acquired formulae, diagrams, and ingredients, you'll no doubt find yourself encumbered on many occasions as you leave a sleeping NPC's home with every piece of timber, can of oil, and roll of cloth he had lying around waiting to be pilfered. Your formulae and diagrams only weigh a tenth of a pound each, but something like an endrega hide will set you back two pounds for every one that you round up. With less than two hundred pounds to spare beyond the weight of your own equipment (without the "Strong Back" acquired ability, anyway), it doesn't take long before Geralt is dragging his feet. Hopefully there will be some sort of "stash" where we can temporarily store ingredients farther into the game, but up until the end of Act 1, I didn't see any good way to manage my encumbrance other than opting to drop excess ingredients that would vanish as soon as I left the area.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Sounds quite promising, actually.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/102779-gb-feature-the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings-preview.html">Gamebanshee</a></p>

Devil

Scholar
Ha! The combat is the same as the first game. Suck it down Witcher haters.

thesisko

Emissary
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Devil said:

I thought the general opinion was that the combat in the first game sucked balls?

The combat is the same as the first game.Suck it down Witcher haters

:what:

and that is supposed to be incline? combat in first game was lame as fuck. in second it is a dumbed down prince of persia.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
meanwhileInPoland said:
The combat is the same as the first game.Suck it down Witcher haters

:what:

and that is supposed to be incline? combat in first game was lame as fuck. in second it is a dumbed down prince of persia.
How can it be a dumbed down version of an early 90s sidescescroller platform game?

TBH, I liked the combat in Sands of Time trilogy - every time I pushed a button, something awesome happened. It was p. cool, actually.

Kraszu

Prophet
PoP combat was a mess but you could really win it by pressing lmb? You would get surrounded, and killed, no?

Kraszu

Prophet
Oh this PoP I had not played it, and I did forget about this abomination. I don't have in memory at what year each PoP was released.

kofeur

Liturgist
meanwhileInPoland said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdZT6HIwoU4

i loved art design, cell shading and that bitch eleika

but the rest was simply lame

90% of fights you win by pressing blue button on xbox controler

I liked these aspects too, never saw that trailer, it looks really nice.

I remember the fights being ... inexistant, you just had to remember the button presses for the combos, and go for the longest combo once you hit...

Hope the Witcher 2 comabat system will have at least something to play with

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Devil said:

It sounds a bit more varied than click-click-click, though still timing based.

Not a fan, but it sounds like one of the few downers on an RPG that otherwise everything sounds right. More complexity in character/crafting/alchemy systems, choice and consequence, detailed world design. Will see about the writing. Very interesting title, despite the combat.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I think they're going for a simple combat system where depth comes out of the situations and enemies. A game doesn't have to have thousands of options for hitting dudes with swords, or a dozen different commands for different strengths, distances, speeds etc. of attack. If there's sufficient variety in the enemies, terrain, equipment, spells etc. then it really won't matter to me if at a fundamental level it's still just clicking the mouse button. Don't know if I want to invite comparison, but see Super Mario Bros. on the NES for your 101 class on how to get incredible amounts of gameplay depth from the simple mechanic of "press button to jump".

Esquilax

Arcane
^^ Truth. With Mario on the NES, when you pressed a button, something awesome actually did happen.

turul

Augur
you'll no doubt find yourself encumbered on many occasions as you leave a sleeping NPC's home with every piece of timber, can of oil, and roll of cloth he had lying around waiting to be pilfered. Your formulae and diagrams only weigh a tenth of a pound each, but something like an endrega hide will set you back two pounds for every one that you round up.

Ohhh..the phat L00t!

rampage14.png

:poop:

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
sea said:
I think they're going for a simple combat system where depth comes out of the situations and enemies. A game doesn't have to have thousands of options for hitting dudes with swords, or a dozen different commands for different strengths, distances, speeds etc. of attack. If there's sufficient variety in the enemies, terrain, equipment, spells etc. then it really won't matter to me if at a fundamental level it's still just clicking the mouse button. Don't know if I want to invite comparison, but see Super Mario Bros. on the NES for your 101 class on how to get incredible amounts of gameplay depth from the simple mechanic of "press button to jump".

Exactly. It's not about how may buttons are involved. It's about preparation, items, stats and situations.

If they get these right, LMB is all you'll need or even want.

godsend1989

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin
I tried 3 times to finish The Twithcer but that combat.. wth were they thinking, now same shit all over again.

This game is not my piece of pie, how the fuck it got a 9 i don`t get it with combat for 3 years old kids.

meh

Educated
godsend1989 said:
I tried 3 times to finish The Twithcer but that combat.. wth were they thinking, now same shit all over again.

This game is not my piece of pie, how the fuck it got a 9 i don`t get it with combat for 3 years old kids.

A RPG GAME WITH COMBAT WHERE NOT PLAYER BUT CHARACTER SKILLS MATTERS ???

:x :x :x

FUCK YOU CD PROJECT I DONT WANT STATS IN MY RPG I WANT MY RPG THE SAME AS COD WHERE MY SUPER TACTICAL SKILLS FROM CS MATTRESS. :rpgcodex:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
godsend1989 said:

Funny that a combat for 3 years old kids is too hardcore for the elite RPG players. :smug: The combat was not hard, you only had to click when the icon flashes. Even a 3 years old can do this. :P

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
For the bros that pre-ordered from GoG.com, you can now purchase TW2 (mind you, most of the files are currently unavailable) from there and select your complimentary game/gift.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
J_C said:
godsend1989 said:

Funny that a combat for 3 years old kids is too hardcore for the elite RPG players. :smug: The combat was not hard, you only had to click when the icon flashes. Even a 3 years old can do this. :P
IIRC the icon didn't flash on the harder difficulties.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom