Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Bloodlines trashed by some morons at ComputerGames

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Troika Games; Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

<a href=http://www.computergames.ro>Computer Games</a> has posted a rather negative 5-page long <a href=http://www.computergames.ro/site/p/articles/o/review/lng/en/artid/595>review</a> of <a href=http://www.vampire-bloodlines.com>Bloodlines</a>. Although I was disappointed with Bloodlines myself, the review is filled with assumptions, inaccuracies, and bullshit.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Some of you might wonder what is Bloodlines worth playing for. The dialogues for one, which are some of the best in the genre, especially when you play as a Malkavian, which have some interesting lines. For the music and voice acting, which are top-notch from start to finish and for some quests that break the typical “go to point A and return with object B” formula (although you will also find these in Bloodlines as well). The characters are well fleshed out, some of them being quite memorable, and the haunted hotel level is just as scary (if not scarier) as Stonebridge Cradle (those of you who’ve played Thief: Deadly Shadows know what I’m talking about). But that’s all there is regarding strong points. The storyline is as dull as it can get: an ancient artifact is found, the signs foretelling the apocalypse (or Gehenna, as it is called in the vampire lore) start popping up everywhere and you are the only one who can save the world from impeding doom. How original is that?</blockquote>
<br>
How about actually finishing a game before writing a review? How original would that be?
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPG Dot</A>

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Well I found so many things wrong with the review that I don't know where to begin. I think I'll just make it simple though. Here's a quote from the review that really shows the quality we're dealing with:

Random Moron Reviewer said:
The bad news is that blunt weapons (sledge hammer, axe, katana etc) are about the only ones with which you can deal some serious damage, since the firearms are incredibly weak.

Majnun

Novice
Incidentally...it's Shalebridge Cradle, not Stonebridge.

But hey if you're getting the information wrong about the game your're actually reviewing why bother to get it right about the one's you compare it to?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Quit whining about other people whining."

Ah.. Someone wnats to play THAT game. Fine then. :D

Quit whining about me whining about other people whining.

Your turn. :P

Bossman

Educated
Vault Dweller said:
How about actually finishing a game before writing a review? How original would that be?

For your information, I finished the game despite the Leopold Society bug and I saw all five endings ... so your comment means squat ...

Majnun said:
Incidentally...it's Shalebridge Cradle, not Stonebridge.

True, mea culpa here ... I corrected the article accordingly :roll:

Exitium said:
Computer Games Romania is incredibly retarded.

Wow ... what an intelligent comment ...

If someone has constructive feedback, please feel free to post ... if not, troll somewhere else ...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"You're coming to our turf and telling us what to do? Real smart."

I see. Codex can spam their whiney criticism of other sites and their reviews; but if said reviewer dares to come here to defend said review; it's wrong?

R00fles!

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Volourn said:
"I see. Codex can spam their whiney criticism of other sites and their reviews; but if said reviewer dares to come here to defend said review; it's wrong?

It isn't wrong. It just isn't very smart.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"It isn't wrong. It just isn't very smart."

LOL That depends if he's willing to take the abuse that is surely to come his way. If he can take it like he dishes it out then it just adds another punk we all can gang rape.

That is all. :twisted:

Vault Dweller

Developer
BossmanCG said:
Vault Dweller said:

For your information, I finished the game despite the Leopold Society bug and I saw all five endings ... so your comment means squat ...
Yeah, just like your review. Anyway, if you finished the game, how come you make statements like firearms are weak and the plot is about you saving the world?

Bossman

Educated
Vault Dweller said:
Yeah, just like your review. Anyway, if you finished the game, how come you make statements like firearms are weak and the plot is about you saving the word?

Because firearms are weak ... maybe they're good against humans, but against vampires ... come on ...

As for the story ... it's about you making decisions that will affect the entire world ... judging by how the game develops, you are lead to believe that in the end the sarcophagus will be opened, a terrible evil will be released and you will have to defeat in order to save everyone, since all the people you meet tell you that the sarcophagus must not be opened, that it contains an ancient evil etc etc etc ... and the little "twists", like the Prince betraying you and such are utterly predictable ...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"how come you make statements like firearms are weak "

Because they are compared to melee weapons... unless you have a 10 rating (or so I heard) and in those situations were you are FORCED to use them to proceed.

"the plot is about you saving the world?"

That pretty much is the plot. Gehenna anyone? Even if it was one of those fake ones that basically is the plot in a nutshell. though it's not exactly 'safe the world'; but save the vampire legions.

Vault Dweller

Developer
BossmanCG said:
Vault Dweller said:
Yeah, just like your review. Anyway, if you finished the game, how come you make statements like firearms are weak and the plot is about you saving the word?

Because firearms are weak ... maybe they're good against humans, but against vampires ... come on ...
I played the game several times, twice using ranged characters. Colt Anaconda and Killmatic literally destroy things in seconds. It takes 3-4 shots to kill a vampire . I used Killmatic on everything else: Ming, the Sheriff, that Tzimisce guy, etc. The sniper rifle deals 200+ damage per shot, it took several shots to take out Bach. Well, needles to say, I put some points into firearms. If you didn't, that's your fault, not the game's

As for the story ... it's about you making decisions that will affect the entire world ... judging by how the game develops, you are lead to believe that in the end the sarcophagus will be opened, a terrible evil will be released and you will have to defeat in order to save everyone ... and the little "twists", like the Prince betraying you and such are utterly predictable ...
What you *expected* is irrelevant. In the game you are a pawn, not a savior, and while the plot does deserve some criticism, let's keep the imaginary stuff out of it, ok?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Volourn said:
"how come you make statements like firearms are weak "

Because they are compared to melee weapons... unless you have a 10 rating (or so I heard) and in those situations were you are FORCED to use them to proceed.
Did you actually play a ranged character, Volourn? No, you don't have to have 10, 6-8 will do as well. I didn't try that at 2-3, because what would be the fucking point?

"the plot is about you saving the world?"

That pretty much is the plot. Gehenna anyone? Even if it was one of those fake ones that basically is the plot in a nutshell. though it's not exactly 'safe the world'; but save the vampire legions.
Please. Whom did you save? What legions?
That's why pot shouldn't be legal.

Bossman

Educated
It's not about "expecting" anything ... it's about you as a newcomer to the vampire world and the newly discovered sarcophagus (gee, what a coicidence), which everyone tells you that if it is opened, will seal the fate of both vampires and humans ... anyway, the opinions regarding the storyline are in the end subjective, so we can go on like this forever ...

As for the firearms ... I for one don't like the idea of having to spend almost all of my hard earned experience points just to use them to increase one feat ... and btw, I'm not the only complaining about this:

Gamespot said:
The problem is that firearms in Bloodlines are severely underpowered and they only allow you to attack one opponent at a time. By using a melee weapon you can attack multiple enemies at once. More importantly, you can even knock them down, which buys you precious time to concentrate on a single foe. The only time firearms seem more useful than melee weapons is when you want to attack larger monsters from a distance. Otherwise, you're going to find yourself at a disadvantage most of the time when using a gun.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/vtmb/review-2.html

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Did you actually play a ranged character, Volourn? No, you don't have to have 10, 6-8 will do as well. I didn't try that at 2-3, because what would be the fucking point?"

Yes, I did. I had 7 or 8 as a ranged score by the end of the game. It pretty much sucked. And, I sure as heck didn't use the spray option for the guns that had it 'cause after the first shot my weapon would just spray all over the place and miss the target menaing I'd do 30 or so damage period.

Guns were underpowered except in situations where you pretty much needed them (ie. Sherriff's second form). Like i said, I cna believe 10 will make a difference; but 8 sure as heck doesn't.

"Please. Whom did you save? What legions?
That's why pot shouldn't be legal."

You miss the point. The push of the story is 'safe the world or protect the va,pires from Gehenna'. That's the push of it. That is the story even if it lande dup being a hoax. You don't make a 40-50 hour (30 hours not counting load times R00fles!) where that's the story and then pull a 'HAHA! We faked ya out (but, I saw it a mile away since you pulled the same shit 2 games ago R00fles!).

Sorry; but the story was an 'Epic Save The Big Group' type. Period.

Vault Dweller

Developer
BossmanCG said:
It's not about "expecting" anything ... it's about you as a newcomer to the vampire world and the newly discovered sarcophagus (gee, what a coicidence), which everyone tells you that if it is opened, will seal the fate of both vampires and humans ...
Who tells you that? Nobody knows for sure what's or who's inside. Those who believe that an ancient vampire is inside want to drink his blood to increase their powers (the Prince, the Sabbat, etc). Beckett, the only guy who actually knows something, doesn't believe that the sarcophagus belongs to a vampire.

anyway, the opinions regarding the storyline are in the end subjective, so we can go on like this forever ...
This is not a discussion about opinions on the storyline. I think it sucked, someone likes it, whatever. We are talking about what the storyline was about, and it was definitely not about you saving the word.

As for the firearms ... I for one don't like the idea of having to spend almost all of my hard earned experience points just to use them to increase one feat ...
I see. You are one of those people who just can't admit that they are wrong. Whatever works for you, but in regard to your "argument". You have a truckload of XPs in the game, so its not like you have to spend "almost all" points on one skill. There are 3 firearms books and a teacher, btw, but even if you have to spend every point yourself, it's about 30% of all XPs you can earn in the game.

Besides, Perception increases Inspection, which is a very useful skill, so you are not using all the points on one skill.

... and btw, I'm not the only complaining about this:

Gamespot said:
The problem is that firearms in Bloodlines are severely underpowered and they only allow you to attack one opponent at a time. By using a melee weapon you can attack multiple enemies at once. More importantly, you can even knock them down, which buys you precious time to concentrate on a single foe. The only time firearms seem more useful than melee weapons is when you want to attack larger monsters from a distance. Otherwise, you're going to find yourself at a disadvantage most of the time when using a gun.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/vtmb/review-2.html
Great argument. What, you thought that you are the only one who writes half-assed reviews these days. Get in line.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Volourn said:
"You're coming to our turf and telling us what to do? Real smart."

I see. Codex can spam their whiney criticism of other sites and their reviews; but if said reviewer dares to come here to defend said review; it's wrong?

R00fles!

I think that was refering to him saying "troll somewhere else" when he is posting on the Codex. WTF? Isn't he trolling these boards. Just because your review sucked and someone called you on it doesn't mean you can come here and tell people that their opinion is wrong and they can't post. If my opinion is that you are a total retard that has his head shoved so far up his ass that he can't see daylight, then so be it. But don't tell me that I can't post. That seems like a great way to get spanked right off the boards.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom