Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Gamezilla: KOTOR 2 - carbon copy of the original

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords

A mini-<a href=http://www.gamezilla.com/review.aspx?review=9009>review</a> of <a href=http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swkotor_sithlords>KOTOR 2</a> from <a href=http://www.gamezilla.com>Gamezilla</a>. I guess they figured that 2.5 paragraphs are more than enough to cover "an expansion pack"
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>The greatest and most unfortunate part of this game is that it's almost a carbon copy of the original Knights. While this isn't a bad thing, because it was a solid gameplay design to begin with, <u>there's not much more beyond a couple of interface improvements, some new powers, and a brand new story</u>. Some of the graphical elements have been improved, but the thing I was most disappointed with was actually the script itself, as <u>some of the writing in this game is truly atrocious</u>. That aside, it’s still invigorating to have a choice to play light side or dark side characters, with your own character starting out as a Jedi (no waiting around for a few levels of a normal class this time), and with your trusted comrades moving towards the light side and dark side depending on your own choices.</blockquote>
<br>
I sense disturbance in the Force
<br>

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
So, because the graphics are roughly the same, along with the engines, say for example, then the GTA games after 3 are just expansion packs as well?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Anyone noticed that most reviews on the internet these days seem to parrot what the first couple of reviews say, even if it makes no sense at all? That seems to be the case with what's going on with all the reviews of KotOR2. You had one early review say that KotOR2 is little more than an expansion pack, and now they're all saying it.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
That's because that's what it probably is. It is MORE of the same.

Kortalh

Liturgist
Gamezilla said:
there's not much more beyond a couple of interface improvements, some new powers, and a brand new story.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I was expecting them to change the setting to the Star Trek universe and let me play as a goddamned Klingon. :roll:

Jed

Cipher
I hate motherfuckers that dillute the meanings of words & phrases.
Wikipedia said:
An expansion pack is an addition to an existing computer game. These add-ons mostly add new game areas and/or an extended storyline to a complete and already released game. The changes these packs do to the original game differ. Expansion packs are developed by professional game companies and are not free, which is the difference to game mods.
If KotOR is an expansion pack, then so are BG2, FO 2, & other sequel that uses the same engine. Is it possible for game reviews to actually get any stupider?

PennyAnte

Liturgist
Jed said:
Is it possible for game reviews to actually get any stupider?

Sure it is. Humans excel at doing ever worse. Check out the customer review under any random game at Electronics Boutique. Every one's a gem. If you never thought you'd be glad reviews are mostly done by so-called "pruhfesshunuls," this will change your mind.

EB's customers on Bad Boys: Miami Takedown (PS2) said:
OK FOR THE MONEY!
This game is alright for what i paid for it. My one of many complaints is that the voice overs suck big time. I know Crave couldn't afford to pay Martin Lawrence and Will Smith to do the voice overs so i forgive them for that. I can not forgive them for the horrible graphics.... more>

ITS THE S***
This game kicks a** and its the best game i have basicly ever played. The mike lowrey mode is awesome my friends prefer marcus because they think hes cooler but i prefer mike because i think he is the best in the movie and in the game. he has style in the game that i dont think... more>

AWSOME
"This game is awsome great action, great storyline and good graphics

Speaks for itself, no?

dipdipdip

Liturgist
I personally felt that this game had stronger writing than the first.

The first had a lot of awkward moments between the iffy dialogue and the crappy animations. I didn't get that same "blech" feeling playing this game.

DarkSign

Erudite
Is it such a shock that websites just churn info and articles over from other places to avoid real work? The impact of the internet on the news business model can definitely be summed up in the word: replication.

Why, when advertising and mere chance of finding a site (and latching onto it) are the driving factors for traffic, would someone with a site actually spend real time to go find real news? Especially when its on a SUBJECTIVE topic like game reviews that are all equal.

They dont have to. Once they get a decent amount of traffic due to exposure and a decent graphics style on the page,, the advertising takes care of the rest.

Thats why why the Codex shines above the rest...the opinions attached to the news items come from people who really know/care about what the fuck they are talking about.

Fez

Erudite
That's the best thing you've said this week.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom