Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Bloodlines is VE3D's RPG of the Year

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Troika Games; Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

<a href=http://ve3d.ign.com>Voodoo Extreme</a> have put up their <a href=http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/575/575779p1.html>Game of the Year</a> shebang (which is refreshingly low key, direct and not so flashy compared to the big fuss <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/pc">Gamespot PC</a> and other sites make). Their pick for best PC RPG of 2004: Bloodlines (kinda wins by default, really).<blockquote>Best Role Playing Game - Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
<br>
Developed by Troika
<br>
<br>
We didn't have a rich harvest of single player role playing games released this year, but Troika did a great job with the White Wolf license in Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. Powered by the same engine as Half-Life 2, the characters in the game look great, and the atmosphere is to die for. Mix in the replay value of the different Vampire characters -- we have a winner.</blockquote>Bloodlines also ranked eighth in the site's Top 20 PC Games of the Year poll.

xemous

Arcane
Best Graphics - Doom 3

This was a hotly debated topic with Far Cry and Half-Life 2 being frequently named, but after careful examination, Doom 3 is crowned the visual victor of 2004. On its highest detail settings Doom 3 is the obvious winner. If you could actually see it on display for yourself; I'm sure you'd agree.
pfft whata a joke. medium graphics pwns halflife2 and farcry looks like shit. some people are dumb / fanboys.

Surlent

Liturgist
Best Sports Game - Unreal Tournament 2004
Developed by Epic Games/Digital Extremes

I'll be the first to admit that we at VE don't play traditional sports games on the PC, but we are fans of bloodsport games; paving the way for us to award Unreal Tournament 2004 the winner here. UT2004 was a superbly polished title and the best installment of Unreal Tournament series since the original.
LOL :lol:

RAG

Educated
Like the poster in Monkey island said

"When there is only one candidate, there is only one choice"

Sol Invictus

Erudite
It's a binary choice. It was either Bloodlines or Beyond Divinity. Beyond Divinity wins the prize for crappiest RPG of the year.

Surlent

Liturgist
Yea, BL hit open market, but that's what cRPGs are nowadays mainly - niche market.
Even if it would have came out last year or even year before that, it would have still won simply because there's no real competition.
That aint saying BL is bad, quite the opposite.

Surlent

Liturgist
Spazmo said:
Last year, KOTOR was sweeping any award imaginable.
Basically KotR was in the same position last year as BL now.
One worthwhile cRPG per year isn't the best sign for the industry.

New cRPGs, hard to say, hope Troika at least announces something new.
Guild Wars is worth the wait, but it's more MMO/Diablostyle/ActionRPG/Multiplayer (genres :roll: ) than cRPG.

Avin

Liturgist
game of the year? isn't there a NONE option?

i'd vote for bloodlines, for not to many choices.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I can accept Bloodlines being the PC CRPG of the Year. The main plot blew chunks, but the sidequests and NPCs were pretty good, allowing quite a bit of freedom. However, looking forward to 2005 and seeing really nothing in sight that I really want in terms of CRPGing, I just don't want to see something crappy like The Fall win by default.

Fresh

Erudite
Whipporowill said:
You're kidding, right? I heard reports the Fall was so unplayable at release that they offered monetary compensation to those that bought the game. I believe I read it at RPGDot.

Actually RPGDot got that one all wrong. The compensation had nuthin to do with the bugs. RPGDot corrected this the day after.

Ive been hanging around the SSE-forums for months now & what I hear is that the game itself story/content-wise is good or even very good, but that its plagued by bugs as we all heared. Im guessing these will be gone by the time for english release though. Too bad for the germans to have to beta-test the game, but good for the english release.

Im looking forward to playing The Fall.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
!HyPeRbOy! said:
Im looking forward to playing The Fall.

I have too since the game was announced. But people around here are pretty unforgiving and Silver Style has a bad track record. I liked Soldiers Of Anarchy. It was nothing special, but it was still a pretty fun game. Therefore I am totally willing to give The Fall a chance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom