Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview BioWare on surprises, inspiration and tough decisions

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Mass Effect 3

<p><a href="http://www.computerandvideogames.com/309188/mass-effect-3-bioware-on-surprises-inspiration-and-tough-decisions/" target="_blank">CVG talks to</a> Casey "Mass Effect" Hudson and Derek Watts on the topic of <strong>Mass Effect 3</strong>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>What feedback really has changed Mass Effect 3?</strong><br /><br /> People really want us to deepen the RPG aspect of the experience. We interpret that as being about the kind of intelligent decision making around how you progress. To us, the RPG experience isn't necessarily about stats and loot. It's about exploration and combat and making a good character-driven story and good progression. <br /><br /> We had progression in Mass Effect 2 in armour and weapon choices but that activity chain was too simple. That whole activity chain I think was a button we weren't really pushing in ME2 and specifically were trying to hit for ME3.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Imaginative way to interprete the complaints about the lacking RPG elements. Can't wait to see them "pushing that (awesome) button".</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>And a snippet on the tough decisions the team faces while developing ME3:</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>All the characters have been given a redesign for Mass Effect 3. Do you ever worry about fan reaction?</strong></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>You know, they've been pretty receptive to the changes we've made. We haven't really had much negative feedback from them. We changed Tali - that was tough because people were very passionate about her. A lot of people want to have her face revealed and obviously people are going to be pissed off either way. <br /><br /> Like "I thought she was going to look beautiful!" or "I thought she was going to be the most hideous thing ever!" So we've had a lot of debate over Tali's face, but that's the one we kind of dread a lot. We're always "well, let's talk about something else for a while!" That's something we're going to have to decide.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#17599">RPGWatch</a></p>

ElectricOtter

You heard it here, folks: Tali's face is the most important design decision in ME3.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
To us, the RPG experience isn't necessarily about stats and loot. It's about exploration and combat and making a good character-driven story and good progression.
:what: HAHAHAHAHAHA :lol: Now thats awesome RPGs are not about RPGs its all about action advventures and cutscenes...

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
To us, the RPG experience isn't necessarily about stats

They're a bunch of dumbfucks yes, but at least they're honest dumbfucks now.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
ElecTriCotter said:
You heard it here, folks: Tali's face is the most important design decision in ME3.
Brorse. Dude. He's talking about fanboys, not design decisions. When it comes to the characters, and female characters especially, there is only "hot" and/or "beautiful", there is no "ugly". There's no design decision.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
People really want us to deepen the RPG aspect of the experience. We interpret that as being about the kind of intelligent decision making around how you progress. To us, the RPG experience isn't necessarily about stats and loot. It's about exploration and combat and making a good character-driven story and good progression.
At least we now know why don't they have a clue about good RPGs.

Project: Eternity
What does he mean, "All the characters have been given a redesign for Mass Effect 3"? They got new uniforms or their actual faces have changed?

Also, I DEMAND TALI FACE IN ME3 :x

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I can't believe anyone wanted to fuck Tali in the first place. I always thought Quarians looked like Rodians from Star Wars or something. But who am I to judge the BioWare fanbase and their desires...

Esquilax

Arcane
Freelance Henchman said:
What does he mean, "All the characters have been given a redesign for Mass Effect 3"? They got new uniforms or their actual faces have changed?

I'm not surprise that they've redesigned characters, actually. It was pretty clear once I saw that they'd decided to doll up Ashley in the ME3 footage revealed so far:

1305296289_Ashley_1_scan_Mass_Effect_3.jpg

Compared to this in ME1:

1.jpg

Good marketing move. IIRC, Ashley was perceived as "bitchy" and "racist" (tho her conversations about that were actually kinda cool) and was probably less popular than the annoyingly stalkerish Liara, who has a pretty big fanbase on account of loli appeal. Not saying that Ashley was an amazing character or anything, but I'd say that she was just about the only BioWare character to pull off a "strong woman" thing remotely convincingly since it didn't seem like she needed Shepard's cock to solve all her problems, at least.

Would be pretty awesome if it turns out Tali is ugly as shit and Tali fans worldwide go on homicidal rampages, but there's a snowball's chance in hell of that happening.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Carrion said:
I can't believe anyone wanted to fuck Tali in the first place. I always thought Quarians looked like Rodians from Star Wars or something. But who am I to judge the BioWare fanbase and their desires...

I can't even believe they put any of that shit in there at all. Who in their right mind would go about trying to fuck half their crew while desperately struggling to save the galaxy from raepers, and worrying what some alien skank's face looks like? It's retarded on the face of it.

Angthoron

Arcane
Carrion said:

The furries dude. The furries.

Esquilax

Arcane
Zarniwoop said:
Carrion said:

I can't even believe they put any of that shit in there at all. Who in their right mind would go about trying to fuck half their crew while desperately struggling to save the galaxy from raepers, and worrying what some alien skank's face looks like? It's retarded on the face of it.

Sure, but the fanbase expects it now. It's gotten to the point that for a lot of people with BioWare titles, no romance = no sale. They've been really attempting to appeal to that really creepy subset of romance fans that write long posts hypothesizing about how Tali's urine would taste like. I think that kind of catering first started in Mass Effect 1 with Liara and her whole lolicon vibe.

You're trying to apply logic here and I don't really see why, none of this shit is supposed to make sense. It's Michael Bay if he were to make a video game; hero comes in, there are lots of explosions, then he saves the day and gets the girl. Doesn't really get further than that, really.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Esquilax said:
It's Michael Bay if he were to make a video game; hero comes in, there are lots of explosions, then he saves the day and gets the girl. Doesn't really get further than that, really.

That's my point, he saves the day, then gets the girl. I don't know, I've always liked to think those creepy romancefags were only a very small group of sexually repressed teens somewhere but it seems that they're a much more important market than I thought...

circ

Arcane
I just want to see actual penetration.

Why pretend. They're never going to feature actual exploration, although ME 1 gave it a poor shot. BG 1 had some, granted. Bring on the pussy.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
circ said:
I just want to see actual penetration.

Why pretend. They're never going to feature actual exploration, although ME 1 gave it a poor shot. BG 1 had some, granted. Bring on the pussy.

Even if its hairy alien pussy?

Angthoron

Arcane
You aren't actually implying they'd manage to animate that with their epic skillz? I predict epic clipping issues, man-genitals sticking out through the navel etc.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Esquilax said:
I think that kind of catering first started in Mass Effect 1 with Liara and her whole lolicon vibe.
BG2 first had romances but JE and KOTOR had the cake there with the romances being a big part of the game, though ME1 and DAO were the ones with "let's fuck half the party"-shtick.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Freelance Henchman said:

Even Crispy will play ME3 now.

547880-R0ZF89R.jpg

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bioware said:
People really want us to deepen the RPG aspect of the experience.
Yes. Will You?

Bioware said:
We interpret that as being about the kind of intelligent decision making around how you progress. To us, the RPG experience isn't necessarily about stats and loot. It's about exploration and combat and making a good character-driven story and good progression.
*sigh* Guess not.

Bioware said:
We had progression in Mass Effect 2 in armour and weapon choices but that activity chain was too simple. That whole activity chain I think was a button we weren't really pushing in ME2 and specifically were trying to hit for ME3.
So... instead of just getting a better gun, I will get two better guns and be able to choose which one I prefer to use. Thank You Bioware for Your generosity and the richness of RPG experience provided by Your games.

ME3: Almost as RPG-ey as Twitcher 2.

grotsnik

Arcane
Zarniwoop said:
That's my point, he saves the day, then gets the girl. I don't know, I've always liked to think those creepy romancefags were only a very small group of sexually repressed teens somewhere but it seems that they're a much more important market than I thought...

Well, it's part of the wider wish-fulfillment 'you get to be so awesome that this beautiful girl is fudding herself over you!' experience, I suppose. But as to the pacing of their romances, I'd say it's simple enough. In action movies, the 'getting the girl after saving the day' bit is often just a quick romantic kiss, everybody cheers, etc. But to cut to an entirely new scene after the baddies have been defeated so the characters can have sex would stretch out the epilogue more than most games care to - and you'd have players complaining that there's no point having romances if they don't get to spend gametime together as boyfriend/girlfriend/genderless blue partner. So you stick the consummation in before the final mission instead.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Bioware said:
People really want us to deepen the RPG aspect of the experience. (...) To us, the RPG experience isn't necessarily about stats and loot. It's about exploration and combat and making a good character-driven story and good progression.
Sorry, this makes no sense. ME 2 already had more "story"(romances) and less weapons, amours, stats than ME1. And that's EXACTLY what people complained about!

Even if you are after "great storytelling and deep choices", I can only think of 3 choices in ME2: 1 - Destroying/saving the stupid Collector's Base. 2 - Getting the good blue woman or the evil blue woman on your team. 3 - How many of your team survive final mission.

It's the same thing as in ME1, 3 choices: Save/kill the Council, save/kill Wrex, and who survive on a mission. And the consequences of the Council choice in ME2 where ridiculous. "Oh, we just got raped by a Reaper and you saved the whole galaxy! Hurray! But still they don't exist and you lie! Now go away."

Of course, I'm not considering who you fuck as a deep story progression....maybe that's my mistake. :?

EDIT: Deep, story driven interview: "can I kill big evil dudes with my bros...and punch reporters? Yes? GOTY!" And why Mass Effect copy-pasted Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within? WTF!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom