Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Commie CRPGs examined at RPG Vault, pt. 1

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Burut Creative Team; Golden Land

<A HREF="http://rpgvault.ign.com" target="_blank">RPG Vault</A> has posted the <a href=http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/579/579421p1.html>first part</a> of a series of articles that look at RPGs currently in development in the former Soviet Bloc. Some games we've heard of--like CD Projekt's <a href=http://www.thewitcher.com/intro.asp>The Witcher</a> or Burut's <a href=http://www.goldenland-rpg.com/gl_html.php>Golden Land</a> are mentioned, but it's mostly virtually unknown games that will probably never get released. Here's what they have on an alleged Golden Land sequel.<blockquote>While we've seen nothing to indicate the status of development, Burut seems to have a sequel in the works. Among the stated features, a few of interest are a highly interactive world with four varied countries inhabited by hundreds of characters, several schools of magic, multiple solutions to many quests and challenges, and an estimated 75 to 120 hours of playing time.
<br>
<br>
Release status: To date, we have no information whatsoever. Since Burut has other projects that have been signed, this one may well be on the back burner.</blockquote>Riveting! Now if only more than 5% of Russian games had a chance of being both good AND getting released in English, we'd be getting somewhere!

taks

Liturgist
i think goldenland joined the ranks of "vaporware" this year. it apparently has been released in russia, and there is an english version "in the works" yet no word. strategy first is the publisher and they've said "in the new year" but they're also going under it would seem. who knows... too bad.

taks

Sotka

Novice
There are 2 big projects in development at Burut, at least from what they post at www.burut.ru - East Front FPS and GoldenLand 3 (3D).

Prevoius ones were Kreed and GoldenLand 2 accordingly. Both are disgusting piles of shit, don't even bother. Every f*ing word from their interviews should be reversed. I noticed a phrase "Fallout-like combat". Unbelievable bullshit. To tell the truth I don't even understand how they manage to keep the site afloat (guess, there are probably other businesses running underground).

The Witcher and Blood Magic, opposite, look attractive, can't wait to put my dirty hands on.

Visbhume

Prophet
What put me off from Goldenland wasn't the combat, but the inane dialogue and storyline (but keep in mind I didn't get very far into the game). Also, the fact that you can steal anything in front of its rightful owner without consequences. God, I hate that.

But at least it tries to be a full fledged RPG, with dialogue choices dependent on your intelligence and multiple ways to accomplish (some) quests. It was very influenced by Arcanum. If the sequel manages to adress the problems, it could be a passable game.

Jed

Cipher
Major_Blackhart said:
Despite it being Soviet in origin, I was very much looking foreward to Goldenland.
The Soviets have been gone for a long time. And actually, the true Soviets were destroyed by the Bolsheviks in the years immediately following the October Revolution.

Screaming_life

Liturgist
I've actually heard of all those! do i win a prize?!!

Blood Magic looks nice but all i saw in the video was action so i'm yet to be convinced.
Phase Exodus has potential, and witcher looks solid but could be too action based.

Boiling Point's the one for me! hence boiling-point.net
I think it's gonna surprise alot of people!

deus

Liturgist
Visbhume said:
inane dialogue

Were you playing the actual Russian version or a translation? Apparently the only translation I know of, the Spanish version, was terrible.

Surlent

Liturgist
Seems quite a lot of action/crpgs are starting come to from Eastern Europe.
Sooner or later there might rise talent that shows to the rest world.
edit: Well Gothic and Sacred, which both are German (Middle Europe) are already showing way for new EU games.

corvax

Augur
Jed said:
Major_Blackhart said:
Despite it being Soviet in origin, I was very much looking foreward to Goldenland.
The Soviets have been gone for a long time. And actually, the true Soviets were destroyed by the Bolsheviks in the years immediately following the October Revolution.

@jed, i hope you're just being silly otherwise you need to brush up on your history
"true soviets" what does that mean? i guess in your view this group only included people who favored the czarist regime, not a whole lot of them if you ask me.......as far as games go it still will be a long, long, long, long, long time before such developers improve the quality of their games ( :) i was going to say catch up, but there is not that much to really catch up to)

Jed

Cipher
I know you were being an ass, MB, I was just being a smartass myself.

@jed, i hope you're just being silly otherwise you need to brush up on your history
"true soviets" what does that mean? i guess in your view this group only included people who favored the czarist regime, not a whole lot of them if you ask me......
I mean the actual independent workers' councils, not the state capitalist "Great Soviet" of the Bolsheviks.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Gotta hand it to those Russians though. I would really like to see more development companies coming from them. Right now when someone mentions Russia, the first thing I think of is Akella. Port Royale, Sea Dogs, the upcoming Age Of Pirates..... Good stuff. :)

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Jed said:
I just hope Star Wolves & Nightwatch are decent.

I'll second that. If they can at least fix some of the bugs in the SS engine, I don't see Nightwatch dissapointing me much, if at all. Then again, I'm just hungry for some more TB action. ;)

Halenthal

Liturgist
Otaku_Hanzo said:
Gotta hand it to those Russians though. I would really like to see more development companies coming from them. Right now when someone mentions Russia, the first thing I think of is Akella. Port Royale, Sea Dogs, the upcoming Age Of Pirates..... Good stuff. :)

Actually Port Royale was developed by Ascaron, a German company. But I'm with you on this one-I hear Russian game, I think of Akella. Their upcoming Captain Blood looks very promising, Pirates of the Carribean, well, blame Disney for that one, but Sea Dogs is simply outstanding, even with the bugs, and enough to make me want more from Russia-in English.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Port Royale, Tortuga and Patrician are all made by Ascaron. Akella doesn't have a monopoly on renaissance seafaring games.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Halenthal said:
Actually Port Royale was developed by Ascaron, a German company.

Ooops. My bad. :oops:

Got Port Royale 2 and Sea Dogs currently installed on my system, so got a bit carried away. ;) And you should try POTC with the community Build 12 mod which you can get from Pirates Ahoy! where a great group of modders have made the game almost what it should have been and definitely better than Sea Dogs.

And nobody said Akella had a monopoly on anything, Rex. So shush. :P

Sotka

Novice
[/quote]-I hear Russian game, I think of Akella[/quote]

When I think about Russian games I think about Nival Interactive - their games are brilliant. Check the site and you will be impressed, bet you missed several. Except panzerkleins of courze.

Generally all games published by 1C met some definite standards. Although they rubber-stamp so-called localizations of cheap wares none would call games.

The only game I can associate with Akella is Sea Dogs. Meaning Akella is intrepreted lower by rank. They managed to get it breathed on with pirating at the beginning.

Sotka

Novice
Russians are commie for certain. The whole Russian history consists of riots, rebellions and revolutions, nonsensical and merciless. Commie ideology was sown into fertile field, and infamous "mysterical russian soul" draws from centuries-old injustice; hence Russian dejection and drunken recklessness.

dunduks

Liturgist
Dont forget Space Rangers, that is if it ever gets translated. I hope they can get NightWatch right, the setting simply deserves it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom