Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Developing Expectations: MCA Podcast Interview

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Chris Avellone

<p><a href="http://twitter.com/chrisavellone"></a>In this <a href="http://playablecharacter.com/2011/07/27/006-developing-expectations/" target="_blank">podcast interview</a> over at PlayableCharacter <em>Chris Avellone discusses Planescape: Torment, Fallout: New Vegas, and player expectations in RPGs.</em> MCA talk starts at ~4:00.</p>

Regdar

Arcane
I used to think MCA was overrated, but this interview completely vindicated him in my eyes.

:mca: :salute:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Chris Avellone discusses Planescape: Torment
Poor MCA, will he ever be able to shake off his PST fame? Do many other developer get continuously asked about a game they made 12 years before?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
MicoSelva said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Poor MCA, will he ever be able to shake off his PST fame? Do many other developer get continuously asked about a game they made 12 years before?

Well the solution is simple: he needs to make another game like PS:T and then he'll be asked about that for the next decade.

Are you listening MCA? If you're tired of the same PS:T crap then make something like it!

Warren Spector also gets asked about Deus Ex, Lawrence Holland used to be asked about Tie Fighter, LB about Ultima 7...yeah, he's not alone.

kaizoku

Arcane
MicoSelva said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Do you know how you evaluate one's contributions to the fields of science or arts?
It's how those contributions persist through time.

It just shows how many people liked his game and he's probably happy with being asked about it.

.Sigurd

Educated
Good interview. :salute:
It's a pity that he can't put his ideas to use in big-budget games but only in DLCs.

thesisko

Emissary
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Personally, I find it strange when Feargus or MCA talks about "modern" gamers when it's clear that it's an entire different audience we're talking about (100K PC gamers when they made Fallout, 5 million console gamers today).

If they wanted to sell Fallout to 5 million console gamers back in 1997, it would probably have to be retard-proof as well.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Ha made great points in the interview. Sometimes Codexians accuse him being an all talk-no action guy, because he has very good ideas, yet there are dumbed down elements in their later games. But as he says in the interview, even if they have a distaste about these bad gameplay elements, they have to integrate them into their games, so they appeal to the mainstream market. Obsidian wants to make money after all, and they are greedy like every company, just not as much as BiowEAr and Bethassda. (Fortunately they are more talented.)

They should go full indie, and make cheaper, but more complex, hardcore RPGs. But this is not going to happen for a while I think.

ironyuri

commie said:
MicoSelva said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:

Are you listening MCA?

mca.gif

Machocruz

Arcane
J_C said:
Ha made great points in the interview. Sometimes Codexians accuse him being an all talk-no action guy, because he has very good ideas, yet there are dumbed down elements in their later games. But as he says in the interview, even if they have a distaste about these bad gameplay elements, they have to integrate them into their games, so they appeal to the mainstream market. Obsidian wants to make money after all, and they are greedy like every company, just not as much as BiowEAr and Bethassda. (Fortunately they are more talented.)

They should go full indie, and make cheaper, but more complex, hardcore RPGs. But this is not going to happen for a while I think.

I don't buy some it though, no matter who is saying it. I don't think quest compass and breadcrumb trails are factors in whether mainstream gamers buy a game or not. They don't analyze games enough to know those things exist in a game before hand. Skyrim would still sell major if it had the Morrowind way of quest tracking.

I believe things like heavy stats, micro-management, and non-action gameplay definitely turn them away. But I'm not even sure enforcing consequences is a deal breaker. People complaining about a feature does not mean they will not buy the next game in your series.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
J_C said:
Actually, why should they have to choose between the two? They could make low-budget digital-release-only hardcore RPGs on the side while being a "proper" developer at the same time. Hell, if it's simple 2D graphics and all that they could even do it with a handful of guys on coffee breaks if they've got the idea down pat and just need to put it into reality.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Machocruz said:
J_C said:

I don't buy some it though, no matter who is saying it. I don't think quest compass and breadcrumb trails are factors in whether mainstream gamers buy a game or not. They don't analyze games enough to know those things exist in a game before hand. Skyrim would still sell major if it had the Morrowind way of quest tracking.

I believe things like heavy stats, micro-management, and non-action gameplay definitely turn them away. But I'm not even sure enforcing consequences is a deal breaker. People complaining about a feature does not mean they will not buy the next game in your series.

As long as you have enough hype and COOL STUFF, most mainstream gamers will love it and not care about the flaws. Heck, some people even defend features they don't like by saying "it doesn't matter because the rest is so good".

Obsidian could make a game that is like PST + Arcanum + Fallout + Bloodlines + every other Codexian smash hit ever made, and appease the mainstream gamers by adding some AWESOME cutscenes, "likeable" characters (perferably romancable for both genders) and lots of DRAMA with these characters. Then make the normal difficulty easy enough so idiots can beat it even when they utterly fuck their character build up, and add a hardcore difficulty that is actually hard for all the people who actually like challenge.

Add some Bioware or Bethesda level of hype ("WE GOT DRAGONS, LOOK AT HOW AWESOME OUR DRAGONS ARE!!!" - "We are so fucking MATURE we got tons of BLOOD and we got SEX look at how fucking MATURE this game is") and I don't see why it would not be a smash hit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom