Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Eight Mundane Things That Are Better Than Dungeon Siege III

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Dungeon Siege III; Obsidian Entertainment

<p>Metro Pulse put up <a href="http://www.metropulse.com/news/2011/aug/03/eight-mundane-things-are-better-dungeon-siege-iii/" target="_blank">some sort of review</a> of Obsidian's <strong>Dungeon Siege III</strong>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>WROTE THIS COLUMN A DAY EARLY:</strong> If you had any idea how bad I am with deadlines, you&rsquo;d know how serious a condemnation it is for me to actually get off my ass and write a day early just so I have no reason to keep the column&rsquo;s subject matter around. But that&rsquo;s the problem with Dungeon Siege III&mdash;it exists only as a loss of potential, to be rectified by unlucky players through return or resale at their earliest opportunity.<br /><br />Speaking of which, I&rsquo;m done. I plan to use some leftover Independence Day sparklers to hold a little parade for my trip to the mailbox to send Dungeon Siege III back to its only nest at some unholy Gamefly distribution center. After that, I think I&rsquo;ll plunge a still-burning sparkler into my eye and hope I hit the part of my brain that remembers how bad it was.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/104127-eight-mundane-things-that-are-better-than-dungeon-siege-iii.html">Gamebanshee</a></p>

Achilles

Arcane
I liked Obsidian better when they were trying to add something different to already established formulas, even with the bugs and all. If DS3 is indicative of the company's new philosophy, I'm out.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I had fun with the game while it lasted, but I know that I will never touch it again. I don't think it is boring, like the "reviewer" said, it is just uninspired, unambitious. Obsidian can do better than that. But this game was probably made just to grab some quick money, and I think it served its purpose.

Now I can't wait for the announcement of their next game.:bounce: There are rumors, but I want something official. Come on Obsidian, give us some info!

ortucis

Prophet
I actually bothered finishing DS3 compared to the shite that was DS2.

Actually, Obsidion should have just called the game "The 10th Legion" considering that the storyline and characters are pretty well done and one of the reason why you keep playing (the action is good as well). I wouldn't have mind more dialogue choices and C&C but whatever, feels like a upgrade to Diablo series.

While we're at it, if BioWare wants to make a proper action game they should focus on copying DS3 for DA3.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"But this game was probably made just to grab some quick money, and I think it served its purpose."

Except, it bombed. It also took 2-3 years. Not exactly quick.

circ

Arcane
ortucis said:
While we're at it, if BioWare wants to make a proper action game they should focus on copying DS3 for DA3.
LOLOLOL. If nothing else, DA2's camera isn't made by a lobotomized moron. And I could go on.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
what? don't make an action game out of my rpgs. I enjoy DA series as RPGs and i dont want them to be turned to obsidian's turd.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Volourn said:
"But this game was probably made just to grab some quick money, and I think it served its purpose."

Hey Volourn, long time no see. I see you are still an insider at Obsidian/Square Enix, and you have the sales number of their games. Make up some magic number to me. You know, just like at Dragon Age 2.

Konjad said:
what? don't make an action game out of my rpgs. I enjoy DA series as RPGs
Well DA2 and DS3 are on the same level, when it comes to role-playing. They have none.

:troll:

J_C said:
Volourn said:

Hey Volourn, long time no see. I see you are still an insider at Obsidian/Square Enix, and you have the sales number of their games. Make up some magic number to me. You know, just like at Dragon Age 2.

Konjad said:
what? don't make an action game out of my rpgs. I enjoy DA series as RPGs
Well DA2 and DS3 are on the same level, when it comes to role-playing. They have none.

:troll:

But in DA2 you control a hero of kirkwall who chooses between nice, a mean, or a sarcastic hero of kirkwall so it is an RPG.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Konjad said:
what? don't make an action game out of my rpgs. I enjoy DA series as RPGs and i dont want them to be turned to obsidian's turd.

Konjad actually believes this.

Unwanted anywhere.

Regdar

Arcane
Bros the most important thing is to be intellectually honest with yourself and admit that if this exact game was released by Bethesda or Bioware it would be considered complete, irredeemable shit like DA2.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
ortucis said:
I actually bothered finishing DS3 compared to the shite that was DS2.

Actually, Obsidion should have just called the game "The 10th Legion" considering that the storyline and characters are pretty well done and one of the reason why you keep playing (the action is good as well). I wouldn't have mind more dialogue choices and C&C but whatever, feels like a upgrade to Diablo series.

Yeah. Its also the first time they have done the "grey" antagonist right and managed to completly avoid the "big evil" stereotype. The entire story is just an unfortunate turn of events rather than one guys/girls moustache twirling. That said it still suffers at certain points and it isn't the highlight of Obsidians plots. Though definitly above Alpha Protocol, New Vegas (the plot!), and NWN2+SOZ.

If they build on it and remove the shite it could actually be a pretty good hybrid. :M

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Regdar said:
Bros the most important thing is to be intellectually honest with yourself and admit that if this exact game was released by Bethesda or Bioware it would be considered complete, irredeemable shit like DA2.
Reading the Codex gives me the impression that it is already considered shit. There are only a few of us who enjoyed DS3. More people enjoyed DA2 for fucks sake!

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
J_C said:
Reading the Codex gives me the impression that it is already considered shit. There are only a few of us who enjoyed DS3. More people enjoyed DA2 for fucks sake!

I certainly enjoyed DA2 more. That doesn't mean either game is good.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Hey Volourn, long time no see. I see you are still an insider at Obsidian/Square Enix, and you have the sales number of their games. Make up some magic number to me. You know, just like at Dragon Age 2."

Don't blame me for the numbers being poor but facts are facts. DS3 is a financial and critical failure.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hey, a Dungeon Siege 3 thread! Just poppin' in to say I enjoyed the game. Oh, and I hate those complaining about the camera. Cheers.

J_C said:
Regdar said:
enjoyed DA2 for fucks sake!

enjoy DA2? Impossible. Haven't heard anything of a DA3, and I wager the odds are stacked against it after the lke warm crital reception and 2 million (?) sales among all platforms?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Volourn said:
"Hey Volourn, long time no see. I see you are still an insider at Obsidian/Square Enix, and you have the sales number of their games. Make up some magic number to me. You know, just like at Dragon Age 2."

Don't blame me for the numbers being poor but facts are facts. DS3 is a financial and critical failure.
72-74% on Gamerankings. Yeah, totally a failure. It is an OK game as the reviews show it. Of course if you are like the mainstream casual fucks, who think that if a game doesn't receive a 90+ score, it is a failure, than I see why do you think of DS3 as a critical flop.

Fuck me, why am I starting to argue with you every time? :x It is just pissing me off.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"72-74% on Gamerankings. Yeah, totally a failure. It is an OK game as the reviews show it. Of course if you are like the mainstream casual fucks, who think that if a game doesn't receive a 90+ score, it is a failure, than I see why do you think of DS3 as a critical flop. "

I bet you were one of the tools whining that DA2 was a criticial failure when it was getting late 70s reviews but bnow youa re claiming DS3 is a ciritical hit with a rating in the low 70s? L0LZ

I perosnally don't base my opinion on what others think but critically and commericially, DS3 was a flop. DA2 was successful commerically but merely okayish reviews wise. Just deal with facts,m dudette, just deal with facts.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
No, actually I never said that DA2 flopped critically. I said that it was a shit game, and it got too positive reviews.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Volourn's right, just check out this pulse of mainstream gaming tastes: http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/topgames/
You have your New Vegas, Bloodlines (must be because of the Steam sale), Witcher 2, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age Origins, Fallout 3, etc etc. Dungeon Siege 3? Nowhere in sight and it was only released a little more than a month ago. Dragon Age 2 isn't on there either. No one cares about them.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Roguey said:
Volourn's right, just check out this pulse of mainstream gaming tastes: http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/topgames/
You have your New Vegas, Bloodlines (must be because of the Steam sale), Witcher 2, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age Origins, Fallout 3, etc etc. Dungeon Siege 3? Nowhere in sight and it was only released a little more than a month ago. Dragon Age 2 isn't on there either. No one cares about them.

Yeah, that list is worthless. Theres a LOT of newer games that are also not on there (Except if they were total hits). Alice for example.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That's a platformer. You'd think that a lot of people would want to look up character builds and such for those brand new beam'em ups with RPG elements, but no. Yet Witcher 2, the slasher of choice, is sitting pretty right there, and it's only on one platform too, imagine that.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Roguey said:
That's a platformer. You'd think that a lot of people would want to look up character builds and such for those brand new beam'em ups with RPG elements, but no. Yet Witcher 2, the slasher of choice, is sitting pretty right there, and it's only on one platform too, imagine that.

Yes, Witcher 2 is also a mega hit and immensly popular. Surprise. Every game in that list is a big hit or gamefaqs typical japanophile game. Wow, I'm shocked.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
IronicNeurotic said:
Yes, Witcher 2 is also a mega hit and immensly popular. Surprise. Every game in that list is a big hit or gamefaqs typical japanophile game. Wow, I'm shocked.
More people care about Fable 3 than Dungeon Siege 3 and Dragon Age 2. Think about that. Even Molyneux thought it was a disappointment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom