Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Ashes rises from the...

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Ashes: Two Worlds Collide

<b>Resle</b> has made <A href="http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6256">a post</a> on our <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/">forum</a> talking about how <A href="http://ashes.lalista.org/">Ashes: Two Worlds Collide</a> development has resumed. Here's a list of the features he discusses:
<br>
<br>
<ul><li>A huge, seamless world
<br>
<li>Virtually unlimited models/textures
<br>
<li>Dynamic shadows and lights
<br>
<li>Scriptable events
<br>
<li>Weather [rain, thunders, snow, fog, wind - sound effects]
<br>
<li>Day/Night cycle
<br>
<li>Npc schedules (Npcs go to sleep, do chores, wander around and so on)</ul>
<br>
<br>
Oh yeah, and there's <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6256">screenshots in the thread</a> of the progress, as well as a smallish discussion on the subject.
<br>
<br>
Hopefully one of the three mystery features will be super deluxe tactical turn based combat!
<br>
<br>

resle

Novice
turn based combat isn't one of the three "mystery features" :) it's something which, in my opinion, shouldn't even be questioned when developing a serious rpg. By turn based combat I don't mean something "a là Final Fantasy", though. Think of the SSI games.

The only game which had a decent realtime combat system, I think, was Drakkhen (which was also tremendously innovative in many other ways).

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
How it comes I havent heard of such a game? Is it cRPG?

I have nothing against real-time combat as a feature. I am for making that feature work well, no metter is it turn-based or real-time combat. I believe its possible to make real-time combat great as well as it is possible to make real crappy turn-based.

In fact, I like Fallout with all its features, including turn-based combat. But I would not like DeusEx with turn-based combat.

Reklar

Liturgist
This project looks quite interesting, even if the graphics are not what you would like them to be. I'd be interested in what the storyline, plot, RPG system will turn out like when you get that far along. Between you an Hajo, there's at least some hope for a decent cRPG in the future. :)

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

resle

Novice
Thanks. Unluckily the graphics are the best I can do by myself. And having both to code *and* do graphics only makes the thing worse. It's really a pity because the engine has potentials and with decent graphics this could be a great game.

Reklar

Liturgist
I understand your frustration having to do everything by yourself, but in all honesty I don't think your graphics are that bad for an independently created game. Perhaps if you keep posting on the Codex some talented graphics artist will offer some help, or at least some tips on coding graphics. There are a couple of regulars who do some graphics, such as EvoG, but I don't think he usually comments in the news forum.

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
If I am correct, EvoG is deeply into his work or, if not, into his gamedev (postapoc) rpg project. I know some people that are good with 3ds or maya, but they are mine! mauhahahah Well, to be serious, for game developers, artists is the bigest problem. Its really hard to find one and even harder to make him work for you for free on YOUR project. Having found artists you would never "share" him with another gameDEVeloper, therefor you can not count on my help:).

Though, I am quiet sure that some fuzz around your project in this site, the CGI sites, some gameDEV sites and in lots of other places will bring you what you need. An artist. Main thing is to have working demo that can show what you are able to...and I guess, you have it allready. So now just fuzz around and make the internet hear about your project. I am sure, you will soon find what you seek.

(A holy granade.)

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
resle said:
The only game which had a decent realtime combat system, I think, was Drakkhen (which was also tremendously innovative in many other ways).

The first one was okay. I preferred the second one more though. The combat system in that was definitely fun ass shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom