Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News New Oblivion screenshots on the official site

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

There's some <A href="http://www.elderscrolls.com/art/obliv_screenshots_01.htm">new screenshots</A> of <A href="http://www.elderscrolls.com/">Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion</a> up on the official site. They're the top three screenshots on that page in case you haven't really been paying attention to the screenshot updates like I haven't. The sewer one is pretty neat, though.
<br>
<br>
Also, <A href="http://www.bethsoft.com/">Bethesda</a> is <A href="http://www.bethsoft.com/links/bethsoft_jobs.html">hiring</a>.
<br>
<br>
Since I have no witty comment for this, I'll just close this news post by saying Diet Cherry Vanilla <A href="http://www.drpepper.com/">Dr. Pepper</a> doesn't suck.
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>Pete Hines</b>!
<br>
<br>

aboyd

Liturgist
Question

I'm curious to know when the review was posted. The only date on the review is the date the game was released (I think). The reason I wonder this is because he claims a new patch is imminent. That's odd. First of all, I thought Atari had a "one patch only" policy. Also, Troika hasn't exactly been eager to patch, always blaming publishers, and failing to deliver the extra promised patch for ToEE.

If there is a new patch coming, I think that's excellent. I just don't believe it, and can't find any quotes from any developers that would lend weight to the claim.

FireWolf

Liturgist
Don't talk to him. You might disturb the timeline.

Pretty. However, I will have to abstain from purchasing this title since the objects don't appear to be projecting shadows onto surfaces. I am most dissapointed by this lack. If all a game has going for it is pretty graphics, I do not wish to see such blatant disregard for accurate shadows.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
FireWolf said:
Don't talk to him. You might disturb the timeline.

Pretty. However, I will have to abstain from purchasing this title since the objects don't appear to be projecting shadows onto surfaces. I am most dissapointed by this lack. If all a game has going for it is pretty graphics, I do not wish to see such blatant disregard for accurate shadows.

Game's not finished yet ;)

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Screaming_life said:
It looks slightly dreamy, almost like a fairy tale.

I can't wait to see it in motion.

Indeed. When can we expect a demo movie of some kind, MSFD?

Greenskin13

Erudite
You better shop around.

Saint_Proverbius said:
I'll just close this news post by saying Diet Cherry Vanilla <A href="http://www.drpepper.com/">Dr. Pepper</a> doesn't suck.

I am not one to knock something before I try it, but the combination of diet, cherry and vanilla seems like it would spoil the Dr. Pepper. Maybe I will try just the Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper, but the diet version crosses the line.

Mendoza

Liturgist
That minotaurs head just looks wrong though. Wrong colour, too big. Unless Cyrodil has weird looking minotaurs.

Twinfalls

Erudite
If the Oblivion game-engine won't let you look out of windows, the least Beth can do is bring back a basic graphics feature of Daggerfall - indoor lighting levels that change according to the outside light conditions (ie day/night).

Morrowind's constant (poor) indoor light level was another little nail in the immersion coffin.

Fresh

Erudite
Mendoza said:
That minotaurs head just looks wrong though. Wrong colour, too big. Unless Cyrodil has weird looking minotaurs.

I sooo disagree. The proportions of the minotaur looks great & I cant wait till I get to beat up one of em ugly mofos.

Mendoza said:

Ure kidding right? If not.. Willya goddamn stop complaining about shadows & shit. U really expect a next gen game gonna miss sumthing like shadows? Geez get a clue.

spacemoose

Erudite
One of the best graphical features of Morrowind, if not THE best in my opinion was the sky. The guy who made that deserves... a cookie or whatever, he did a damn good job. It actually looked like a sky and the moons moved, and the shadows on the moons changed.

There were times when I'd stop to just admire the beautiful sunset or clouds floating by.

What I'm getting to is that in these screenshots the sky looks worse than it did in Morrowind. It looks like it is radiating light, like some some photoshop filter was applied to a static picture. It looks fake. Maybe it looks better in motion, but I don't know that.

Hopefully this is just a placeholder for the real thing.

Also, the thing that matters more than graphics to me and to most of us, I believe, is dialogue. I'm waiting to see what kind of options we will have when talking to npcs. Will we be able to lie? Will our choices be more than
1. Take Quest
2. Refuse
3. Wait
Will the npcs be more than walking bulletin boards? I'm not gettin my hopes up, but that is what I'd like to see.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Re: You better shop around.

Screaming_life said:
Greenskin13 said:
... but the diet version crosses the line.

Yep!

Basic rule: More fat = more flavour!

As far as I know, there isn't a soft drink out there that contains fat.

We don't have the normal Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper available here. Of course, given that I don't care much for sugar on account of a lack of working pancreas, I would just drink the diet one anyway. It tastes like cream soda to me, only I actually like it. I don't like cream soda, but this is different enough in the right ways to be good.

dunduks

Liturgist
Bah, soft drinks suck, juices all the way!
There is no point in having another eye candy title, unless Bthesesda will fix gameplay and for that I'm not so sure.

Ortchel

Liturgist
Forget the screenshots, look at the concept art:
gondor0zd.jpg

Look familar? The white tree is the symbol of Gondor, as in The Lord of the Rings. This armor design is stolen almost exactly from the movies. Ridiiculous. I expect more from you, Bethsoft. Not to mention that the spearman bears an eerie resemblance to Karl Urban (Eomer). I guess they've finally given into the requests for a more recognizable fantasy world.

p.s. The Minotaur looks like shit, fire WormGod.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I think that some new music is made for near-deaf people: it's so loud. Oblivion, on the other hand, seems to be made for near-blind people: it's so shiny it hurts. The temple (or whatever it is) looks ridiculous and looking at it for more than 2 secs is unbearable. It seems to be built from the same material as Lego(tm) ghost figurines: they shone in the dark if they had been beforehand exposed to a sufficient amount of light. Come on, do people inside this temple need to use any lamps/candles at all if the walls radiate with such inner light?

Less bloom, more gloom!

FireWolf

Liturgist
!HyPeRbOy! said:
Ure kidding right? If not.. Willya goddamn stop complaining about shadows & shit. U really expect a next gen game gonna miss sumthing like shadows? Geez get a clue.

Firstly, Get a dictionary. Secondly, I was, quite obviously, being light-hearted. Even the Bethesda dude got that. Right now, all we have is eye-candy. Nothing about how it plays, what kind of NPCs or quests we're to expect. While looking at the screenshots, the only thing I noticed was the lack of objects projecting shadows onto surfaces. Also, it wasn't Mendoza that said that.

!HyPeRbOy! said:
I sooo disagree. The proportions of the minotaur looks great & I cant wait till I get to beat up one of em ugly mofos.

The minotaur looks silly.

Expresso

Novice
The screenshots look very nice, little plastic but nice. I'm not worrying about the graphics of that game, but other things like story and dialog.

Greenskin13

Erudite
Re: You better shop around.

Otaku_Hanzo said:
I used to be a big Dr. Pepper fan, but then came Pibb Xtra. It owns me now. :cool:

I haven't tried Pibb Xtra, but I do remember not liking regular Pibb. I'm a ginger ale man myself, and there aren't many deviations of that.

Saint_Proverbius said:
We don't have the normal Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper available here. Of course, given that I don't care much for sugar on account of a lack of working pancreas, I would just drink the diet one anyway.

Yeah, organ failure would probably be the only reason why I would drink diet.

Lemon

Arcane
DarkSign said:
Just my 2 bottle caps...

the minotaurs look TERRIBLE.

Quiet fool.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom