Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Deus Ex: Human Revolution is the Hardcore RPG You Want

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Deus Ex: Human Revolution; Eidos Montreal

<p>According to OXM the RPG genre has gone "soft" as of late. Lucky for us <strong>Deus Ex: Human Revolution</strong> (and Skyrim of course) is about to <a href="http://www.oxm.co.uk/32333/features/seven-reasons-deus-ex-human-revolution-is-the-hardcore-rpg-youre-waiting-for/" target="_blank">reverse that trend</a>. The first of seven reasons:</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>1. It hits you with consequences straight off the bat</strong></p>
<p><br />Shortly after Adam Jensen's near-death and cybernetic full-body makeover, he's summoned back to Sarif Industries HQ to deal with a terrorist threat at a manufacturing plant. Entering the lobby, you're told to get your head straight (literally - Adam's retinal implants are acting up) then come to the helicopter pad. We, however, decided to poke around a bit first - visiting the toilets, studying the parodic Final Fantasy art on an engineer's wall and ducking into a vent shaft to retrieve a credit chip. Result: the situation at the manufacturing plant worsens, and we're bawled out by our boss. Cripes. Human Revolution keeps its eye on you from the get-go.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/104243-deus-ex-human-revolution-is-the-hardcore-rpg-you-want.html">Gamebanshee</a></p>

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Boss yells at you? Fuck yeah thats the consequences we have been crying about. :salute:

Silellak

Cipher
l3loodAngel said:
Boss yells at you? Fuck yeah thats the consequences we have been crying about. :salute:
It'd be pretty hilarious if this one decision locked off the last 10% of the game and prevented you from getting the best ending. I can almost hear the Casual Gamer Rage.

Excidium said:
Well, I'm confused here, because it looks like a fucking FPS from all angles.

Oh it is. But for reasons only known to seademons, they decided that you can play the game like it were a puzzle adventure. At least that's the intent.

In theory it's like the ultimate game, the only way an oldtime adventures fan like me will get to solve puzzles in a modern game.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
It sounds like the situation worsening might actually be a consequence. As in, delay and there are more enemies in the next area or something. In which case DXHR will be more of an RPG than any modern Bioware game.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Xor said:
As in, delay and there are more enemies in the next area or something.
you take too long -> hostages die -> you no get sekrit discount passphrase for sekrit armsdealer.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
That's...not terrible. And fuck, this game is an FPS.

MMXI

Arcane
We, however, decided to poke around a bit first - visiting the toilets, studying the parodic Final Fantasy art on an engineer's wall and ducking into a vent shaft to retrieve a credit chip.
:what:

Why? Why Final Fantasy? Why not something like Wizardry? Ultima?

Publisher(s) Square Enix
Oh.

Comments said:
I'm hoping this game is massively popular, along with Skyrim, and the gaming industry takes note. For me the combination of first-person shooter and role-playing games make an excellent combination. And if that hybrid added the conversational branches of Mass Effect you'd have what I would consider one of the best type of videgames! I hope we're moving towards such games.
:decline:

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
My 'put impressive stuff early in the game while shitty mid to endgame goes unbitched about by reviewers' sense is sensing something.

lightbane

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
So, like when boss chews JC out for walking into the Women's WC?

imokaywiththat.jpg

Actually, you can do that in Revolution too.

Machocruz

Arcane
There are black people, and there are conversation brances. And the conversation branches have gots'ta go!

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Xor said:
And fuck, this game is an FPS.

HOLY SHIT SEQUEL TO A FPS IS A FPS I AM SO SHOCKED AND ANGERED BY THIS SUDDEN TURN OF EVENTS THAT I BROKE MY CAPS LOCK KEY IN MY UNSTOPPABLE RAMPAGE.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
sgc_meltdown said:
My 'put impressive stuff early in the game while shitty mid to endgame goes unbitched about by reviewers' sense is sensing something.

MetalCraze

Arcane
sgc_meltdown said:

Except where is the impressive stuff?

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Silellak said:
l3loodAngel said:
It'd be pretty hilarious if this one decision locked off the last 10% of the game and prevented you from getting the best ending. I can almost hear the Casual Gamer Rage.

I'd be surprised if they would actually understand the difference or that a part of game is locked...

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
So drunk. Thought I'd weigh in. What up Codex. The game looks very 'good for what it is'. All the fags complaining, haven't played the leak. All the Old Fags have said the same thing: play the fucking leak. They'll be the first to say it sucks. The only thing? It kinda doesn't.

Also, Xor, you're a fucking idiot for that FPS is an FPS OMGAWD WHY IS IT AN FPS WAAAAHHHH. Cunt.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom