Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Deus Ex: Human Revolution is the Hardcore RPG You Want

Captain Shrek

Excidium said:
Well, I'm confused here, because it looks like a fucking FPS from all angles.

What???!!! Are you kidding me??? With all that retarded fucking TPS cover system?????

sick

Educated
Project: Eternity
bit OT but hey, who cares.
how many side missions are there in the leaked press version? i did 3, did i miss something?

MCA
SuicideBunny said:
Xor said:
As in, delay and there are more enemies in the next area or something.
you take too long -> hostages die -> you no get sekrit discount passphrase for sekrit armsdealer.

That sounds a lot like Alpha Protocol except AP doesn't even have a delay mechanic but just a straightforward "buy intelligence OR DEAL WITH TEH KKKONSKKKANCES!" kind of "credit management".

jiduthie

Educated
I haven't read the whole thread because you're all idiots, but I just wanted to barge into the middle of everything and point out how awful it is that there are journalists writing for a magazine whose sole claim to credibility is that it has been conferred "official" status by the very institution that it covers. Wasn't there a time when people felt shame?

Mastermind said:
Xor said:
And fuck, this game is an FPS.

HOLY SHIT SEQUEL TO A FPS IS A FPS I AM SO SHOCKED AND ANGERED BY THIS SUDDEN TURN OF EVENTS THAT I BROKE MY CAPS LOCK KEY IN MY UNSTOPPABLE RAMPAGE.

Hey, it could have been turned into a turn-based tactical game because the franchise is more about the atmosphere than the gameplay...oh wait, things don't exactly work that way, do they? Hmmm...

St. Toxic

Arcane
l3loodAngel said:
Boss yells at you? Fuck yeah thats the consequences we have been crying about. :salute:

It hardly pushes the genre forward, but it's nice you get any response at all for dicking around. Locking out possibilities and opening new ones is certainly a more meaningful way of doing it, but hardly appropriate in every situation. If I at some point choose Coke over Pepsi and then get that referenced to me later in game, I'm not going to crap my pants at the meaningful branching involved, but the attention to detail is still worth some appreciation.

It's probably shit though. :skyway:

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Xor said:
That's...not terrible.
it isn't. there's plenty flavor reactivity and some c&c there.
for example you can kill the leader, stun or let him go. killing him will get you praise from everyone, stunning him will put him in a cell in the police station, which can fuck up a stealth infiltration since he will call the guards as soon as he sees you, and letting him go will result in him contacting you later to net you some info and computer codes for a mission, which is nice, especially if you can't hack worth shit.

here's something to think about:

on my first playthrough of the leak i argued with the terrorist leader and got him to a point where he made sad puppy eyes, got really really down and generally made the impression of someone knowing he has been not only played but also completely beaten. he let the manager go and then asked me to let him go and promised to tell me if he finds out anything. i actually felt sorry for the guy.

on the second one i tried the same choices, but this time some of the additional text was different and his reaction was too. instead of becoming more and more depressed he became more and more aggressive and i couldn't go through with the same choices all the way through because it gave me the impression that the manager would die. managed to free her in the end, and let him go again, but it felt very different from the first time.

that was actually pretty neat.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
MMXI said:
Comments said:
I'm hoping this game is massively popular, along with Skyrim, and the gaming industry takes note. For me the combination of first-person shooter and role-playing games make an excellent combination. And if that hybrid added the conversational branches of Mass Effect you'd have what I would consider one of the best type of videgames! I hope we're moving towards such games.
:decline:
Is it?

St. Toxic

Arcane
SuicideBunny said:
on my first playthrough of the leak i argued with the terrorist leader and got him to a point where he made sad puppy eyes, got really really down and generally made the impression of someone knowing he has been not only played but also completely beaten. he let the manager go and then asked me to let him go and promised to tell me if he finds out anything. i actually felt sorry for the guy.

on the second one i tried the same choices, but this time some of the additional text was different and his reaction was too. instead of becoming more and more depressed he became more and more aggressive and i couldn't go through with the same choices all the way through because it gave me the impression that the manager would die. managed to free her in the end, and let him go again, but it felt very different from the first time.

that was actually pretty neat.

Oddly enough, the order in applying the same handful of dialog choices can lead to numerous different emotional responses. More practical consequences are limited to two though, at last from what I noticed, of either letting the black bitch go or storming out with her at gunpoint and getting shot. I kind of wish there was an option to abort the diplomacy halfway in to try and kick his ass, or even convincing the guy to quietly surrender to the cops, but even limited with the two options it still seemed fairly fluent.

Best option is to taze his ass from the onset though. I don't want some crazy spic making my shit more complicated in the future.

Ivory Samoan

Liturgist
Claw said:
MMXI said:
Comments said:
I'm hoping this game is massively popular, along with Skyrim, and the gaming industry takes note. For me the combination of first-person shooter and role-playing games make an excellent combination. And if that hybrid added the conversational branches of Mass Effect you'd have what I would consider one of the best type of videgames! I hope we're moving towards such games.
:decline:
Is it?
From the swag of newly released reviews ranging from 90-100%... I'm thinking it gets the green tick :salute:

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
I've seen reviews complaining about the lack of emotional and thought provoking storyline....

So there is a flicker of hope here.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
St. Toxic said:
I kind of wish there was an option to abort the diplomacy halfway in to try and kick his ass, or even convincing the guy to quietly surrender to the cops, but even limited with the two options it still seemed fairly fluent.

Best option is to taze his ass from the onset though. I don't want some crazy spic making my shit more complicated in the future.
not sure what you mean. i most definitely could abort and then shoot him quickly in the head.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
one of the conversation choices... something along the lines of not allowing him to walk out... i'll try to reproduce it later.
did pick the dart rifle at the beginning though, not the tazer.

Bloom

Novice
CV4i5.png

FFFFUUUUUU-

latexmonkeys

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Xor said:
It sounds like the situation worsening might actually be a consequence. As in, delay and there are more enemies in the next area or something. In which case DXHR will be more of an RPG than any modern Bioware game. That's...not terrible. And fuck, this game is an FPS.

Mastermind said:
HOLY SHIT SEQUEL TO A FPS IS A FPS I AM SO SHOCKED AND ANGERED BY THIS SUDDEN TURN OF EVENTS THAT I BROKE MY CAPS LOCK KEY IN MY UNSTOPPABLE RAMPAGE.

Barrow_Bug said:
Also, Xor, you're a fucking idiot for that FPS is an FPS OMGAWD WHY IS IT AN FPS WAAAAHHHH. Cunt.

You're both dumb and completely misunderstood Xor's comments. Go back to basic reading comprehension 101 before you clutter this forum with more of your bullshit.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
sgc_meltdown said:
My 'put impressive stuff early in the game while shitty mid to endgame goes unbitched about by reviewers' sense is sensing something.

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
latexmonkeys said:
Xor said:
It sounds like the situation worsening might actually be a consequence. As in, delay and there are more enemies in the next area or something. In which case DXHR will be more of an RPG than any modern Bioware game. That's...not terrible. And fuck, this game is an FPS.

Mastermind said:

Barrow_Bug said:
Also, Xor, you're a fucking idiot for that FPS is an FPS OMGAWD WHY IS IT AN FPS WAAAAHHHH. Cunt.

You're both dumb and completely misunderstood Xor's comments. Go back to basic reading comprehension 101 before you clutter this forum with more of your bullshit.

NewFag dumbfucks gonna dumbfuck. Back in your cage, little man.

Drakron

Arcane
Jaesun said:
DarkUnderlord said:
sgc_meltdown said:
My 'put impressive stuff early in the game while shitty mid to endgame goes unbitched about by reviewers' sense is sensing something.

Yeah, that's what I am thinking it's going to end up as well.

I seen the return to Detroit, the place changed a bit and one side quest was offered.

So far I have not seen any "one route affairs", there are always several options, also Tai Yong Server Room have very lovely security (moving laser trip wires!).

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Barrow_Bug said:
latexmonkeys said:
Xor said:

Mastermind said:

Barrow_Bug said:

NewFag dumbfucks gonna dumbfuck. Back in your cage, little man.

I still have no idea what the fuck you meant with that earlier post.

:lol: What a clusterfuck

Ok. By

Xor said:
In which case DXHR will be more of an RPG than any modern Bioware game. That's...not terrible. And fuck, this game is an FPS.

Xor simply meant he is amused by the fact that a FPS like DXHR is more of an RPG than any modern Bioware game. The "fuck" is not supposed to convey surprise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom