Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News KOTOR III In Development?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment

According to <a href=http://www.gamedreamz.com/index.cgi?m=stories&s=read&id=2572>GameDreamz</a>, the 3rd title in the series is well into development by none other than Obsidian Entertainment. KOTOR III is said to be powered by a new engine and is also rumored to feature a new battle system with more emphasis on lightsaber combat. More may be revealed at the upcoming Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) this May.
<br>
<blockquote>George and crew are most pleased with the initial performance of KOTOR, so pleased in fact that KOTOR 3 is well into development! This time however expect everything to be new and improved! An all new next-gen engine is being prepped as is a modified battle system that will place a heavier emphasis on the lightsaber. There are even whispers that the game may be shown in some form at E3 THIS year, though I’d expect it to be far from completion, perhaps nothing but a video! </blockquote>
<br>
Spotted at <a href=http://www.rpgdot.com>RPGDot</a> and <a href=http://www.actiontrip.com/>ActionTrip</a>.

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
I don't think I'm going to believe this until there is more official word. I think it would be kind of stupid for Obsidian to continue to make sequels to other people's IP.

Lemon

Arcane
Reliable money to help ensure the studio sticks around.

z3r'0'

Liturgist
Very Interesting. Any official confirmation?
I wonder when Obsidian will ever start creating their own games.

kumquatq3

Liturgist
Welll, there was already an engine for K3 in the works , but that team got fired not to far back (it was a internal LA team). So based off of K2 sales, it won't be a big surprise it LA started on the engine again.

If Obsidian is the K3 dev, they would still have some time for other games, depending on how long LA takes with the engine and how many games Obsidian decide to do at once.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Plus it will be a while before Jade Empire and Dragon Age will be released, so they have time to make KotOR3 before they have to make sequels to those games.

Lady Armageddona

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
Plus it will be a while before Jade Empire and Dragon Age will be released, so they have time to make KotOR3 before they have to make sequels to those games.
*maniacally starts laughing*
Just as true as that sentence in the 2004 wrap up - Obsidian - making sequels since 1998
I seriosly doubt that Obsidian will develop an original IP RPG. Ever.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Obsidian is definetly building up an image of BioWare's side-kick. Cannot decided is it good or bad for them, but I am not pleased to hear this, that's for sure.

Stark

Liturgist
why do people still care about star wars anyway? I thought Lucas has been pretty successful in ruining it.

EvoG

Erudite
Its true...you skeptical bastards my GAWD. KotoR is pWning xbox right now next to Halo2 and Obsidian pWnd Bioware with the sequel...so for anyone to doubt this, has to be rather myopic. Either way, Hedgehog is a great source of rumors that end up being true so, that source alone should be enough.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Obsidian pWnd Bioware with the sequel."

Your personal opinion aisde; this is false.

KOTOR1 sold 750,000 copies in 10 days. KOTOR2 sold 500,000 in December and I believed it was released around the 10th so about 20 days.

KOTOR1 got way better reviews as well.

KOTOR1 wins officially.

As for MY personal opinion; we shall see..

But,f rom what I've seen, I think KOTOR2 will be a good game; but not great. The writing seems haphazard at best espicially in regards to the 'is it or is it not amnesia?", the combat is much easier (this is agreed by those who even prefer part 2), their big trick for KOTOR2 that being 'influence' seems to only to be half good.

As for KOTOR3, at leats let me play KOTOR2 before tlak of that comes up. Geez..

Meh. I figure theyll do a much better job with NWN2. So far it's been all goods news in regards to that game.

Lady Armageddona

Liturgist
So? NWN was not that great to begin with, and neither was KotOR, and the fact that I did not play it, due to it looked like "an adventure with statistics" even more that NWN, is a good enough reason not to bother with any of the KotOR games. Or should I say - series? As for the fact how much people bought both games, this only shows how many people mistake a good RPG with a good adventure with dialogue optiones, character generetion and statistics.

Neverwhere

Novice
I just can't stop myself from making this point over and over again:
If a stringent story line makes a game an adventure, then one of the best RPGs I have ever player, PS:T, is an adventure. Furthermore, PnP RPGs would be inaccurately so named, because they actually were adventures. I see no merit in the argument. KOTOR's flaws were not so much in the story department (even though I agree with the criticisms directed at a certain female character central to the story) - I would rather emphasize that combat was so easy that it became dull after 10 minutes or so, and that the strategic options available were minimal.

errorcode

Liturgist
what i'm curious about is...

Will KOTOR 3 be a Xenon title?
Will it be announced along with the launch titles for the Xenon at E3 this year?
Will it have a longer Dev Cycle than KOTOR 2?

With E3 just around the corner, i wouldn't be surprised if LA and OB keep this pretty quiet till then.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Jed said:
PST is my favorite adventure game.

Mine too! :D

And while we're on the subject of favorites...

Did you know that Hitler's favorite fruit was watermelon?

52821102373443544.gif

Lady Armageddona

Liturgist
My dear Neverwhere, should I point you out the worst aspect of most RPGs? It should definately be combat. The only game that bears an RPG tag of those I have played and can stand on my feat and not laughing myself out while I'm trying to keep a straigh face and name as having good combat is Troika's ToEE.
On the other hand, I've played more than one Adventure (and in the adventure tag I put most so called action adventure and/or 3rd person action games that has better, since these days quests somehow turn up under the adventure tag) that is a better RPGs experience to me than 50 % of the so called RPGs these days. Some examples are Drakan and the Legacy of Kain series.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom