Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Duck & Cover Fallout Wikipedia

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tags: Fallout

<a href=http://www.duckandcover.cx>Duck & Cover</a> has launched its own <a href=http://wiki.duckandcover.cx/>Wikipedia</a> of our favorite computer role-playing game, Fallout, and all of the contents of its universe. It's very new, and therefore quite scarce at the moment, so it needs <b>you</b> to contribute what you know of the game.
<br>

<br>
They've not come up with a proper name for the Wiki yet, so feel free to add your own suggestions on the <a href=http://wiki.duckandcover.cx/>front page</a>.
<br>

<br>
Here's what Mr. Teatime had to say:
<br>
<blockquote>If you're a bit lost on how to use a wiki, feel free to ask in the <a href=http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/viewforum.php?f=56>forum</a>, or read the <a href=http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_User's_Guide>users manual</a>.
<br>

<br>
As you'll probably notice, it's possible for someone to go in there and spam everything and delete the parts they didn't spam. Firstly, this spam is reversable so it can be undone easily. Secondly, IPs are stored and people can be banned from the wiki (and this site) if they decide they want to wreck everything, so I'm hoping that won't happen. </blockquote>

Hajo

Liturgist
There are bots that auto-spam all Wikis that they can find (and use).
Happend twice to my Simutrans Wiki during the past 8 weeks.

Although it's possible to clean up, and even easy, at some point it's no fun anymore to clean up the garbage that just another bot dumped into the wiki.

I've now enabled password protection for all pages. But this ruins the spirit of a Wiki :(

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Hajo said:
There are bots that auto-spam all Wikis that they can find (and use).
Happend twice to my Simutrans Wiki during the past 8 weeks.

Although it's possible to clean up, and even easy, at some point it's no fun anymore to clean up the garbage that just another bot dumped into the wiki.

I've now enabled password protection for all pages. But this ruins the spirit of a Wiki :(

It may ruin the spirit of the wiki, but I think this'll be an invaluable resource, so it's worth the pain of requiring a password to update.

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
How do we password protect the wiki? I can't see any options to change the way pages are edited...

Hajo

Liturgist
There seem to be many different Wiki software packages. I'm using PmWiki, while you're using MediaWiki (?). So I'm afraid I can't help with your package.

In case of PmWiki, there is a global config file where you can set the password options (admin, read, edit, page group, single pages ...) but this information obviously doesn't help if you use another pacakge :(

Sorry, RTFM seems to be the only option.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I could throw in a bit of code and integrate it into DAC's permission system. Either only allowing registered users of DAC to update stuff or even setting up groups. Just means people would have to register at DAC first.

Why am I posting this on the Codex? :backs away slowly:

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
It may ruin the spirit of the wiki, but I think this'll be an invaluable resource, so it's worth the pain of requiring a password to update.

A more valuable source would be playing Fallout over and over again until your eyeballs bleed.

Greenskin13

Erudite
Let's heed DrattedTin's advice.

I would pitch in for the FOWIKI if I knew the first things to Wiki-ing. I suppose I could learn but that would be ever so boring.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
I take responsibility for the "Best game ever, bitch" comment. Suprised it hasn't been deleted yet (Oh, wait. It's a fact.)

Fez

Erudite
It doesn't take much effort to learn to do an edit or even a page once it is set up, so don't be discouraged.

I expect we'll see plenty of never ending edit wars the same as the original Wikipedia.

Reklar

Liturgist
Sounds like a good idea and I'll likely contribute to it eventually, assuming everything isn't already posted. I've only played through Fallout and Fallout 2 twice each (I think), but I've played partial games with several character types many times. I'd be surprised if everything I know about Fallout isn't already contributed before I have the free time to look at the wiki though. :?

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom