Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Globe Technology Interviews BioWare

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tags: BioWare

Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka have been interviewed at Globe Technology on the subject of their games, their company, and the possibility of opening a new office in Montreal.
<br>
<blockquote><b>@Play: Further down the pipe is the PC game Dragon Age. What can you tell us about it?</b>
<br>
<br>
GZ: Dragon Age is BioWare's next big PC role playing game, and in many ways it is the spiritual successor to some of our past games. <b>Unlike our past PC games, Dragon Age is designed from the ground up to take advantage of what the PC does best in terms of rules and gameplay.</b> The game itself is a huge epic with a compelling story, memorable characters, interesting areas to explore and great character development.
<br>
<br>
At the current time we're not providing any more details on the game — watch for more information in the near future.</blockquote>
<br>
I never did like the Infinity Engine's bastardization of D&D. It just didn't feel natural.
<br>
<br>
Link: <a href=http://www.globetechnology.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050208.gtbiowarefeb7/BNStory/AtPlay/>Globe Technology</a>

Balor

Arcane
Well, no matter how you'll try to make a candy out of shit, at best you'll end up with a shitty candy. Finally they realised that simple fact.
P.S. I respect AD&D, especially it's lore. But it has no place in CRPGs. Period.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"But it has no place in CRPGs. Period."

Bullshit.

P.S. You are an idiot.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
D&D does have a place in CRPGs. If it can be done true to the rules, then what you'll get is a combat system like the one in Temple of Elemental Evil, which is unarguably the best adaptation of D&D rules. Unfortunately, it wasn't a good adaptation of the role-playing game.

Imagine the stories and characters of Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale with TOEE's combat system and what you have is the perfect D&D CRPG.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
As long as the combat in that game was actually challenging unlike TOEE, and I'd agree.

Also, Exitium, can you supply a link, please. :twisted:

Balor

Arcane
Heh, one missed smilie and I'm an idiot :).
Should I revert to posting it on every line? :?:
Oh well. Anyway, to me, no matter how candish the system (like in TOEE) is, so long it sport exp-per-kill, levels, AC decreasing chance to be hit and set in iron classes and item reqs - it'll still be shitty. It can be fun to play, but STILL shitty. To me. Period.
Or you will argue this fact?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Or you will argue this fact?"

Nah. Can't argue the fact that you are an idiot. :D

Balor

Arcane
Oh, that was a good one, Volourn! I guess your IQ is higher then temperature in my room after all.
Too bad that you are wrong, but that's beside the point.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Oh, that was a good one, Volourn! I guess your IQ is higher then temperature in my room after all."

Of course. You forgot to mention your "room" is an igloo and the temperature is -5. :cool:

Balor

Arcane
Oh, I live in Russia, it's winter out there, and our heating sucks... So, you are almost right. Also, we use Celsius, not Fahrenheit scale :twisted:

Digit

Liturgist
I think the AD&D games are awesome, it has such a massive scope and history, its really nice to play games with elements of this. I thought the Infinity Engine was amazing, some of my favourite RPGs are made with it, and the graphical style is superb.

I am curious to see how this game turns out.

Digit

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"The fact that something is listed in Monster Manual doesn't make it a D&D monster."

Um. Yes, it does. If it is listed in the MM it automatically makes it a D&D monster. Of course, that doesn't stop it making an appearance elsewhere. Silly.

Balor

Arcane
2 Sammael:
While I know about Balor is NOT just an AD&D monster, my nickname does steam from it... Cause I read a lot of AD&D manuals, and Planescape ones were my favorite.
However, someone should be more attentive, cause:
"P.S. I respect AD&D, especially it's lore. But it has no place in CRPGs. Period."
Where did you find 'I HATE ALL THINGS AD&D!!!' in this?
And for people like you and Volourn, there is even an explanation - that I dislike it's gaming mechanics, not setting and general lore. (In fact, I love latter)
2 All:
P:T is my favorite CRPG (in fact, I consider it the ONLY true role-playing game), and it's AD&D, and mouldy 2d edition to boot.
However, it's because combat there is really unimportant... just like it is in real P&P modules - provided that players are not hardcore munchkins. And I'd recommend them just to play craps for money - if they want to get involved with dice and excitement so much.
But in a game where combat plays major role... AD&D was made for P&P and lazy (default) DMs... which had only a few sets of dice as a 'random generator' and, at best, a calculator.
WHY, under the Light, should someone still use this rules, when computers can (I said that before, and I'll repeat) calculate damage of a sword strike based on RL physical formulas (kinetic energy, material resistance, etc)? When, for computers, calculating a bunch of complex integrals is as easy as rolling 2d6? When computers can store thousands of variables in memory, and will never forget them, and will always use in proper time?!
*sigh*
Cracking nuts with tunneling microscope is as silly as this.
And its ME who's being called in idiot... If I didn’t know already that world is not fair, I’d realize that now.
Edit: Clarification.

RGE

Liturgist
I agree that CRPGs can use better rules than what PnP games are limited to, and I also agree that CRPGs therefore should use better rules rather than trying to conform PnP rules to a CRPG world. But the world is full of people who need to see the D&D stamp of approval before they fork over any money for a CRPG. Or maybe they really are in love with the rules and just have trouble finding a DM or players who will put up with them? ;)

Avin

Liturgist
I feel that Dragon Age is going to be a spiritual successor from Baldur's Gate 2, updated. Just what NWN could not.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Where did you find 'I HATE ALL THINGS AD&D!!!' in this?"

I never said you did.

"I feel that Dragon Age is going to be a spiritual successor from Baldur's Gate 2, updated. Just what NWN could not."

Yeah, the 'spiritual successor' of BG2 will have a DM client, and a toolset... like BG2... oops... NWN.

R00fles!

Avin

Liturgist
I was talking about the OC, with henchman that come and go, strongholds and problably romances.

Atrokkus

Erudite
P.S. I respect AD&D, especially it's lore. But it has no place in CRPGs. Period.

I understand that you don't like combat in them, right? Well, that's a sensible reason, cuz it is still so much below PnP, obvioussly. But hey, what's so wrong with Baldur's Gate 2 (since you've already liked Torment)? I consider it equal with Torment.
I mean, yeah, the AC/exp/rolls system is flawed in CRPGs, but does it really matter? If you got an immersive world, great storyline, unique characters and well-written dialogs, why bother whining about combat system or the like? Yeah, I know there is a lot of fighting in BG2, but is it THAT nauseous for you?

You seem to be way too extreme.

Balor

Arcane
BG is equal to P:T? Don't make me laugh ma arse off - I'll rupture my duodenum this way! Well, it's a good game, but:
a. Combat plays greater role (at least, MUCH greater then in P:T) here, and, like you correctly surmised, it's too PnP and sucky (at least, in my book). Especially 2d edition one.
b. There are much less RP opportunities, NPCs are more shallow, same goes to party members, the story is much more cliché.
Anyway, I still played BG and kinda liked it. But it is worse then P:T is RPG, hands down, and combat there is sucky too. (Extra sucky cause it's 2d edition with laughable THAC0, like I mentioned).
Anyway, I'd gladly play 1st (if even I don't even imagine how crappy must it be) edition D&D ruleset RPG, provided it has dialogs, story and RP capacity as P:T.
Hell, I'll choose it over game with any other system, no matter how realistic and detailed... again, with one condition - that it is comparative with P:T.
I'd even say that AD&D rules kinda benefited P:T - since combat was generally boring to the point of disgust, it prodded you to concentrate on dialogs and story - the part of the game the really shined. (A bit sarcastic, but technically true).

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"BG is equal to P:T? Don't make me laugh ma arse off"

Yeah, that is funny. BG and its sequel are wayyy better. Period. Only brainwashed fanboy idiots think otherwise. Next.

Balor

Arcane
Oh, the great Volourn and it's trademark disdain of explanations! One should not prove the obvious, right?
And the question is, it is right... like, in BGs, there are much more kewl magic items, weapons, armor and opportunities to use them... in exciting battles, based on PnP AD&D 2 edition!
Also, it's much more self-pleasing to think of yourself as a son of God... not some nondescript "Nameless One" with messy biography.
And the Forgotten (or, should I say, "Overused"?) Realms setting is much prettier and stereotype-friendly then dark, twisted and angular Planescape one.
And, of cource, you cannot play as a paladin in Planescape:Torment!
So, hands down, BG and it's sequels win... the Cup of Cliche RPGs! Glory to the Volourn in it's infinite wisdom!
But to quote War Nerd: "There are competitions you are better off losing".

Avé

Liturgist
P:T had better dialogue, setting and story.

BG2 had more freedom(not as in, freedom to be good or evil, but freedom to go where you want and do what you want), better(and more combat), more area's, quests, NPC's and things to do, and a FAR, FAR superior interface.

Technically, I'd say P:T is the better RPG, but I think BG2 is the better game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom