Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Extravagant Frayed Knights Codex Preview Feature

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Frayed Knights; Jay Barnson; Rampant Games

<p>As most of you probably know, Indie developer <a href="http://rampantgames.com/frayedknights/" target="_blank">RampantGames</a> is about to release the first part of their blob dungeon crawler cRPG : <strong>Frayed Knights: The Skull of S'makh-Daon</strong>. What can I say, I've asked Jay Barnson to tag team a preview feature with me. It's half preview, half Let's Play and half interview.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Despite the fact you'll get this pre-generated characters as your party, you're free to level them up as you like. They cover the basic RPG archetypes and while you can pick skills and feats not fitting their predefined role, I think it's at least dubious to do so, in terms of combat efficiency. Although nothing stops you from trying anyways. Unlike other blob crawlers the game doesn't feature a phase-based combat system but a truely turnbased one with initiative-rolls before every turn to determine the sequence in which the combatants are going to act, something I prefer over phase-based.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Staying true to cRPG traditions we start out with pretty much zero resources. Expect a potion of Negligible Healing, 2 potions of Liquid Nap (per person) and some sort of weapon, for instance a Shoddy Quarterstaff, which is almost as good as a regular quarterstaff, except it's not. Additionally, Chloe comes with 3 charges on her wand of Incendiary Crackleball, a spell that does almost nothing, but it does it to multiple enemies.</p>
</blockquote>
<p><a href="http://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=241" target="_blank">Read the whole thing here.</a></p>

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
First part? Is it episodic? I'll admit I skimmed over the parts where you gave the detailed combat play-by-play but I didn't seem to pick that up anywhere else in the piece.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
VoD said:
Speaking of Potions of Liquid Nap, those can increase your endurance and remove exhaustion which might come in handy because your biggest enemy early on, apart from pus golems, evil priests and cultists and brittlebone skeletons, seems to be your blue endurance bar. It's the same as a mana bar except it's called endurance here. You use it to cast spells and pull off your other combat abilities. Now the catch is, the game is not welcoming enough to just regenerate your endurance immediately after a fight. As far as I can tell it doesn't regenerate at all unless you press (R)est during a combat encounter. See, when in combat every action, like (A)ttacking, (C)asting a spell and so on requires a bit of endurance. When you rest instead for that turn you gain a small chunk of endurance back without immediately spending it on some combat action. That means I've found myself quite often casting "Invoke Snoring" (Sleep) on the last enemy and then resting my whole team for several turns while he was sleeping so they could get their blue bars filled up.
Ugh, I hate this kind of mechanic.

Other than that looks like a p. fun game.

RampantCoyote

Novice
Just a point of clarification - you can rest outside of combat too, and then it rests everyone back to full endurance (minus the exhaustion limiter). But it runs the chance of an encounter.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
That's reassuring.

It's pretty easy for stamina to become a hassle that just limits combat options (see Avadon) instead of a fun resource to manage but it looks like you got things covered.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
I thought the item names were VOD and his usual lulz. I haven't seen a comedy RPG before, so now I am interested enough to try the demo.

Shannow

Waster of Time
I prefer stamina to be a mostly in-combat resource (eg. JA or Wiz8). So I'm for regenerating stamina. Just sayin'.
Otherwise still waiting for the new demo :M

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
RampantCoyote said:
Just a point of clarification - you can rest outside of combat too, and then it rests everyone back to full endurance (minus the exhaustion limiter). But it runs the chance of an encounter.
Ah cool. That means I don't have to save my endurance so desperately.

o06lw8.jpg

Ugh, i hope those are not the only portraits in the game...
That means I've found myself quite often casting "Invoke Snoring" (Sleep) on the last enemy and then resting my whole team for several turns while he was sleeping so they could get their blue bars filled up.
You tricky bastard... i like that :smug:

coaster

Liturgist
Looks interesting but humour is very hard to get right in games. Hope the plot/NPC interaction doesn't get too irritating because of this.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The sheer fact Jay Barnson did a codex exclusive review == BRO.

You have successfully added Jay Barnson to your BRO list.

Monocause

Arcane
He should get a proper artist. While nothing in particular looks ugly, the portraits, the GUI, the text font, the rather sterile 3D environment - all this in a single bag makes for an exceedingly unpleasant package of aesthetics. Even Avernum 1-3 era Jeff Vogel games looked much better than this.

quasimodo

Augur
I don't know if the humor will add or subtract to the game, but I'll buy the game on day one for the TB combat.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Monocause said:
He should get a proper artist. While nothing in particular looks ugly, the portraits, the GUI, the text font, the rather sterile 3D environment - all this in a single bag makes for an exceedingly unpleasant package of aesthetics. Even Avernum 1-3 era Jeff Vogel games looked much better than this.

I actually like the 3D environments. I agree, though, that the GUI (more particularly the borders and such) could be a bit more polished. But it's certainly no game breaker.

Mayday

Augur
EDIT: now I'm confused.
How many artists does Rampant employ? Some of their old games look much better.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind trying my hand at improving the overall look.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Mayday said:
EDIT: now I'm confused.
How many artists does Rampant employ? Some of their old games look much better.

I don't think they are all his games. I assume Jay lists other people's games as well.

Monocause said:

Proper artists are for people with lots of money.

Anyway I wouldn't obsess over the art. If you get the game play right, people will like the game. See Minecraft for an example of ugly, but people love it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom