Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Extravagant Frayed Knights Codex Preview Feature

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
It's HALF man HALF bear and HALF pig. Manbearpig.

Anyone else catch that? :love:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Looks p. cool, I'm getting large Wiz8 vibes from this :thumbsup:

Also, the 'drama points' thing looks like a very gud way to discourage save scumming to some extent.

But...

WHY ONLY FOUR CHARACTERS :(

Monocause

Arcane
Davaris said:
Anyway I wouldn't obsess over the art. If you get the game play right, people will like the game. See Minecraft for an example of ugly, but people love it.

It's not about ugliness, it's about cohesion. Imagine Minecraft but with neat GUI icons stolen from WoW and some objects being fugly blocks they are now and some with nice and sterile textures as seen on these FK screens.

My point is that the game should have a cohesive style/art theme/whatchacallit and stick to it. It can afford to be ugly if it's controlled ugliness, worst thing is if some things are fugly, some sterile neat and when you mix it all with character portraits reminiscent of webcomics.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Monocause said:
It's not about ugliness, it's about cohesion. Imagine Minecraft but with neat GUI icons stolen from WoW and some objects being fugly blocks they are now and some with nice and sterile textures as seen on these FK screens.

My point is that the game should have a cohesive style/art theme/whatchacallit and stick to it. It can afford to be ugly if it's controlled ugliness, worst thing is if some things are fugly, some sterile neat and when you mix it all with character portraits reminiscent of webcomics.

Oh I do understand what you mean. It has the hallmarks of programmer art. However it is one thing to be able to be able to look at it and say, it is not coherent. It is another thing to be able to achieve coherence, using stock art and random artists, you hire from the internet.

If he had lotsa money to hire an artist, to oversee the entire game's production, his art problems would disappear like magic. But he doesn't have that kind of money yet, so I think he should put all his efforts into design.

People will recommend a fun game, in spite of how it looks. They will not recommend a badly designed game.

Edit:
In short, until a lot of people were raving about how good or addictive one of my games is, I don't think it would make good economic sense to spend up big on the art.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Meh, it's something they can work on for the other games if this sells well. Not a deal breaker. Warband has one of the most low budget UI's I've ever seen -- looks like it was done in about two hours with MS Paint -- but the game is still good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom