Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Dungeon Lords hands on at RPGDot

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Dungeon Lords

<A href="http://www.rpgdot.com/">RPGDot</a> has taken the time to kick around with a playable preview version of <A href="Http://www.dungeonlordsgame.com">Dungeon Lords</a> and they actually <A href="http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=1083">wrote about it</a>. Don't expect some heavy reading here, it's pretty short.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Let's take a look at some of the other elements that belong to a good RPG: There is a quest log and an automap (which was not implemented yet, but the help screen tells the key for it, so I guess it will be in the game). There are only limited sound effects and no music yet. Graphics are very nice, with leaves and grass moving with the wind and weather changes and a night/day cycle. The resolution in this version is set to 800x600, hopefully the final game will feature higher resolutions (actually I am quite sure it will).</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
So, basically, not too many elements, eh?
<br>

obediah

Erudite
From the list of incomplete features, I smell either another delay or a horribly buggy release. I guess my money is on both.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
@Obediah: My thoughts exactly!!

The same happened with DWB's W&W. Buggy and delayed - but I still eeked a fair amount of enjoymeny out of it.
Hoping this one is good despite ominous signs...(crosses fingers and says 13 Hail Cthulhus)

Fez

Erudite
Maybe they'll manage to pull it all together before release. Maybe I'll become the fairy queen of the world, the prettiest creature in tights, loved by all and the finest lapdancer on the globe.

DemonKing

Arcane
Actually I'm surprised that most of the previews so far (while noting that the game is not yet feature complete), have been saying that both the combat and storyline are pretty decent.

While I'm still planning to wait for a demo, this game is edging a little closer to my "buy" list.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I wonder how old this preview build is. They were supposed to have a demo ready way back last Fall. If it still doesn't have an automap and the build is fairly recent, then something is way, way off here.

crpgnut

Augur
January 17th, 2005 was the date of the build. They have 3 months from that date to add sound, automapping, music, etc. Not much time. Buggy and incomplete is sounding more and more likely.

Reklar

Liturgist
crpgnut said:
January 17th, 2005 was the date of the build. They have 3 months from that date to add sound, automapping, music, etc. Not much time. Buggy and incomplete is sounding more and more likely.

Do you think it will wipe your hard drive like PoR2 did? :D It sounds like they need to push back the release date if they're really that far behind, but I guess that is up to the publisher. Honestly though, why should a publisher ever want to release a game if it's severely incomplete, especially if it's not during the Christmas shopping season?

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

Fez

Erudite
Reklar said:
Do you think it will wipe your hard drive like PoR2 did? :D

You've got to love those legendary QA fuck ups. I remember one that wiped out all the shortcuts in the start bar. Must have been fun putting them all back by hand. :lol:

Reklar

Liturgist
Fez said:
Reklar said:
Do you think it will wipe your hard drive like PoR2 did? :D

You've got to love those legendary QA fuck ups. I remember one that wiped out all the shortcuts in the start bar. Must have been fun putting them all back by hand. :lol:

"Quick! Reload the last save game! Maybe it'll restore the shortcuts! Ahhh!" :D

There are some bugs I just don't understand how they could have gotten by any reasonably competant QA tester. Then again, having been in a QA role before, I can't understand how any developer could inadvertantly write code that would cause such a problem. Let me guess, it was that nasty 'ole Install Shield again? :D

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

Fez

Erudite
I am pretty sure it was an in-house fuckup. I'd imagine the guy was out of a job thanks to that, though I didn't find out what happened to him. The QA team must have all been too busy snorting lines of coke off of each other's dicks to spot it either. I can't remember who did it, but I think it was someone from Mucky Foot who told me. There were a few others too, but that one had to be the worst. Cleaned the whole bar when you worked the installer program. Unbelievably stupid.

Reklar

Liturgist
Yep, that definitely sounds like it deserves your commentary. It never ceases to amaze me how poorly a "finished" product can be nowdays. Hopefully somebody will wake up, either the consumer-base or the companies, and realize it's all a waste of time to rush things.

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

Astromarine

Erudite
Galactic Civilizations also had a "wipe hard drive" feature in one of the early early versions. Was patched within one day or something though. I remember Wardell being quite open and apologetic about that, which went a long way to prevent massive ranting-.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom