Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review WorthPlaying Loves Silent Storm: Sentinels

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tags: Nival Interactive; Silent Storm: Sentinels

WorthPlaying has finally decided to write a review of Nival's turn-based strategy sequel, Silent Storm: Sentinels with some <a href=http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=23465&mode=thread&order=0>very nice things to say</a> about the game, garnering a score of 9/10 and an <b>Editor's Choice Award</b>. <blockquote>
<br>
This game can create some beautiful moments that make you just stand back and say, “That was cool!” In one instance, my hero was going down a staircase inside a building and ran into an enemy as he turned the corner. I used up all my action points trying to kill him (there was very little cover to be found nearby that would save him come the enemy’s turn), but was unable to finish him off. I had a sniper stationed outside, however, so I had her take a shot at the guy. The shot goes whizzing through the building wall (with a puff of dust as the bullet rips through) and catches the guy in the side, knocking him over the banister to tumble down to the ground below. Did I mention the physics system is awesome? What can I say? It was simply sweet.
<br>
<br>
This is a great expansion that does nothing but improve on what already was an excellent game. If you like Turn-based squad combat at all, you’re going to enjoy this game, and I think that just about anyone would have a ton of fun playing it. The learning curve may be a little steep if you’ve never played a game of this style before, but the tutorial is good at teaching you the basics and the ability to customize the difficulty should make this accessible to anyone. Unfortunately there still is no multiplayer, which is the one thing that would have put this game over the top. But, much like the classic X-Com, some games can be great even if it’s just you versus the computer. For reigniting my passion for the turn-based genre and keeping me playing into the wee hours of the morning, it deservingly gets the WP Editors' Choice Award.</blockquote>
<br>
I might not have liked Sentinels all that much in comparison to Jagged Alliance 2, but the game definitely deserves the attention
<br>
<br>
EDIT: for being one of the few turn-based strategy games in years. That's what I'm referring to. To clarify this for the <b>imbeciles among you</b>, I couldn't enjoy Silent Storm (Or Sentinels) because the enemy turns took too damn long.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at <a href=http://www.rpgdot.com>RPGDot</a>.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
What? You're a fucking moron, Pooper.

I have both Sentinels and the regular version and I like neither one because the turns take 30 minutes and they aren't as good as JA2. Do you know how to read?

I might not have liked Sentinels all that much in comparison to Jagged Alliance 2, but the game definitely deserves the attention.

p.s. learn to spell.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
You said it fucking sucked compared to ja2 many times, why not just say it on the frontpage like you usualy do. Dont try to be proffessional because u are the exact oposite.

NO MORE FREE RIDES

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Do you have some kind of reading comprehension disability? Stop being a retard and get an education.

I said I didn't like the game but that it deserves recognition for being a turn-based strategy game. Learn how to read, you fucking moron.

It would be nice if you stopped behaving like an inbred little shit and developed roper reading comprehension before writing your next post, Pooper.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
lets just bring up a few examples of your past quotes

"OMFG THE GAME IS SO SLOW ON MY COMPUTER I FUCKIN HATE IT WTFBBQ"

"I DONT KNOW WHAT U GUYS ARE TALKING ABOUT IT RUNS FINE ON MY COMPUTER, JUST TURN OF ENVIROMENTAL AUIDO LOL"

"JA2 IS SO MUCH FUCKING BETTER THAN THAT PIECE OF SHIT S2, GAWD"

"I really respect the developers for making a quality turn based game in a market staurated with real time stuff."

"Im pleased to announce that troika is closing doors LOL NO MORE FREED RIDES PWNED"

Eixitum is a proffesional newsposter and he uses mastercard.

Fez

Erudite
funny3qh.jpg

Sol Invictus

Erudite
"OMFG THE GAME IS SO SLOW ON MY COMPUTER I FUCKIN HATE IT WTFBBQ"

"I DONT KNOW WHAT U GUYS ARE TALKING ABOUT IT RUNS FINE ON MY COMPUTER, JUST TURN OF ENVIROMENTAL AUIDO LOL"
The early part of Bloodlines runs quite well for me, actually. It only starts to bog down after the first Hub. I think the number of save games you have in the save list also affects the performance of the game.

"JA2 IS SO MUCH FUCKING BETTER THAN THAT PIECE OF SHIT S2, GAWD"

"I really respect the developers for making a quality turn based game in a market staurated with real time stuff."
I fail to see how these two statements contradict each other. I respect Nival for making the effort but SS2/3 still sucks compared to JA2.

"Im pleased to announce that troika is closing doors LOL NO MORE FREED RIDES PWNED"
Got a rise out of you, didn't it?

Balor

Arcane
Exit, you looks like POOPER is right in this case.
Cause Sentinels have ANIMATION SPEED SLIDER!
That can reduce the time on enemy turns a great deal. Or you just missed it? Then check it out.
And besides, hidden movement is done almost instantly anyway.
And you cannot really compare JA2 and SS. First is freeform, SS is mission-based... better compare JA2 and E5, when it'll be out. They are games in the same class.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Cause Sentinels have ANIMATION SPEED SLIDER!
And yet, you still have to wait a long time for the enemy turns to happen because there is no way to skip viewing the enemy turns altogether, so how is Pooper right?

That can reduce the time on enemy turns a great deal. Or you just missed it? Then check it out.
Half of 30 minutes is still 15 minutes, and that's still too long a period.

And besides, hidden movement is done almost instantly anyway.
Not really.

And you cannot really compare JA2 and SS. First is freeform, SS is mission-based... better compare JA2 and E5, when it'll be out. They are games in the same class.
You can compare JA2 and SS in terms of combat, which are almost identical. I wasn't referring to the freeform missions in JA2.

Balor said:
Exit, you looks like POOPER is right in this case.
Pooper is just trying to be argumentative. He isn't trying to debate any points, so don't put words in his mouth. It is what he does.

I don't remember Pooper saying anything about the animation speed slider, so what is he 'right' on?

We can argue about this all day, if anyone wants.

Balor

Arcane
You can compare JA2 and SS in terms of combat, which are almost identical. I wasn't referring to the freeform missions in JA2.
Strange, I found combat in Ja2 far inferior to SS:S. Especially with AP and HP rounds that were added in SS:S.
Half of 30 minutes is still 15 minutes, and that's still too long a period.
Don't be a jest, turns do not 'literally' take so much.
Even in the most crowded missions. And besides, in Ja2, in city-defending missions, with a lot of militia, situation was absolutely the same. I'd say even worse, cause there were no animation slider there.
If you simply don't like the game - go "Volourn style" and say that "it sucks, period".
If you wanna prove it - then you better pick up better arguments. Or switch to abovementioned "Volo tactics" before it's too late :).

Sol Invictus

Erudite
The turns do take too long. It wouldn't be a big deal if there was only a single turn on the entire map, but when you have to wait for long periods of time everytime you finish your actions it is just plain exasperating.

Balor

Arcane
Well, like I've mentioned, same goes for Ja2... and pretty much every TB game.
Conclusion? SPM rulez! :)

space captain

Liturgist
U. S. of Fuckin' A. ...and dont forget it or we'l
if the turns took too long you need a faster PC with more RAM...

SS has the best TBS engine ever made anywhere, anytime. It is lightyears ahead of anything else out there. Plus the game is pretty fun too.

I wouldnt mind alot more fleshing out of the characters, RPG elements and so forth - but until that happens SS is THE new "classic".

Sol Invictus

Erudite
SS would be a good TBS if they added the ability to skip enemy/allied/neutral movements and improved the AI. I really dig the physics, but waiting for the enemy to move makes me bored.

Balor

Arcane
Btw! A new expansion is announced:
"Sickle and Hammer".
It will be made by one of the Russian's top SS:S modders Novic, who assembled a team, imaginatively named them "Novic&Co" and started developing.
Features include:
Free-form exploration, nonlinear gameplay, expansive dialogue options, day/night cycle, etc.
A demo (so to speak) of Sickle&Hammer is the mod for Sentinels.
And it's really good. Brings back feeling of Fallout and Ja2... literally, sometimes :).
The setting is post-war (1949) Germany, rich with conspiracy between USSR and Alliance occupational forces. Political correction level - 0.
It's not known if it will be published worldwide, though.

Balor

Arcane
In fact, you are completely right - no sci-fi weapons and panzerkleins. At least that's what Novik said himself. He promised Fallout-style cars - you'll be able to ride on them on the global map. You'll not be able to store anything in it, tho.
As I understand, the setting is our world - or as close to it as it can be. So no global terrorism or Star Warsey satellites.
Only terrorists would be your own team :).
And btw, as I understand, you'll be only able to play for Soviet Forces. (abovementioend terrorists... or, better said, saboteurs.).
Anyway, the expancion is geared towards Russian audience... Did I mention zero political correction level? :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom