Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Richard Garriott Interview

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Richard Garriott

<p>Business Insider <a href="http://www.businessinsider.com/richard-garriott-interview-2011-10">talk to</a> Richard "Lord British" Garriott.&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>BI: How did you come to sell Origin to Electronic Arts in 1992?</strong></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>RG: We were looking for a bigger partner. &nbsp;Origin was always one of the top ten game makers from the beginning, and as an industry matures, ten isn't enough. &nbsp;As the big box retailers like Wal-Mart were coming into existence, they would buy their games from a variety of sources, they would talk to big companies like EA and other big distributors but they didn't want to talk to every game maker that existed or buy the product from every game maker because suppose you're a small game maker that shipped them one game but it didn't sell, and they may need to return them, but if you only have one product in your stable, it's too risky to buy from you. &nbsp;You really needed to be in the top 3 as the industry began to shake out and it became obvious to us that since we weren't in the top 3, we had to find a consortium of a group of us to create a top three or sell to a top three.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>For a six-month period we went on a diligent process of looking for options, we debated on merging with Broderbund and a couple of other smaller companies that would have put us in the top three but at the time, EA was the best match.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><strong>BI: As part of that deal, did you relinquish the rights to the Ultima brand?</strong></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>RG: I did. &nbsp;Up until that moment, I owned Ultima personally -- Origin didn't own it. &nbsp;When we began the talks, EA didn't know I owned it personally. &nbsp;They said, "If we acquire Origin, the only value of a company other than it's people, are it's intellectual properties." &nbsp;That was Ultima, which I owned, and Wing commander, which Chris Roberts owned. They said, "The discussions are going to stop here unless we roll those into the deal, because otherwise we're acquiring nothing." It was clear that was the only option.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/105480-richard-garriott-interview.html">Gamebanshee</a></p>

Morkar Left

They said, "If we acquire Origin, the only value of a company other than it's people, are it's intellectual properties." That was Ultima, which I owned, and Wing commander, which Chris Roberts owned. They said, "The discussions are going to stop here unless we roll those into the deal, because otherwise we're acquiring nothing."

Understandable from a corporate view. To bad EA sucks. He better merged with other companies. Could have even threaten EA today... one can dream...

I wonder how it is with bioware now. Have they full rights of all bioware "franchises"?

Luzur

Good Sir
yes, he has admitted making the wrong decision with EA, but back then EA wasnt the big bad guy, yet.

just a minor bad guy.

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Yeah, he really had little in the way of a warning at the time.

Every company that decided to merge with EA after that got exactly what they deserved as far as I am concerned.

It is strange to hear of a single person owning the rights to an entire video game franchise, and I imagine there is nothing comparable to that today.

Phelot

Arcane
Luzur said:
yes, he has admitted making the wrong decision with EA, but back then EA wasnt the big bad guy, yet.

just a minor bad guy.

I thought they were pretty bad? Especially under Trip Hawkins.

Erzherzog

Magister
VentilatorOfDoom said:
They said, "If we acquire Origin, the only value of a company other than it's people, are it's intellectual properties."  That was Ultima, which I owned, and Wing commander, which Chris Roberts owned. They said, "The discussions are going to stop here unless we roll those into the deal, because otherwise we're acquiring nothing." It was clear that was the only option.

Uggh. Reading this makes me realize that to suits, video games are a mere toy. Certainly not viewed as something worthy to be called art.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
the above said:
Luzur said:

just a minor bad guy.

In the early years EA was actually one of the publishers that promoted their developers -- they encouraged creativity. Again, really early days around the time of Mail Order Monsters, Archon, Seven Cities of Gold, Hard Hat Mack, etc. They (including Hawkins who founded it) were very much 'good guys.' It's just some where something went terribly wrong.

thesoup

Arcane
It's the same story over and over again. EA just went down the same road like Atari and Activision. The worst thing is that this path brought better (ie more lucrative) results.

Phelot

Arcane
glasnost said:
EA said:
"the only value of a company [...] are its intellectual properties.
More accurately put, not only given post-acquisition employee turnover rates...

Yeah and if I'm not mistaken it was EA that pretty much pioneered this attitude towards games. Thus a long history of buying devs and canning them while keeping their precious IPs.

The problem here is that these intellectual properties are becoming more worthless with each passing year. Most kids wouldn't know what 'Ultima' or 'Wing Commander' are, and half of the old fans are probably well over gaming now.

Drakron

Arcane
True and we seen this happened before were larger corporations brought smaller companies just for the trademark and then proceed to run then into the ground.

Of course at one point the entire system collapses because no new IPs are being made and everything that was worth anything was rendered worthless, the problem arrives at long term and the people that made those policies already left and so dont have to deal with it ... its "savage capitalism" at its finest.

thesoup

Arcane
Blackadder said:
The problem here is that these intellectual properties are becoming more worthless with each passing year. Most kids wouldn't know what 'Ultima' or 'Wing Commander' are, and half of the old fans are probably well over gaming now.
Don't worry, they'll make a cover based third person shooter eventually.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
the above said:
Garriott (or someone else involved in the acquisition, I'm not sure) admitted that they would've never gone through with the deal had Hawkins not just left EA (to found 3DO - and we all know where that went). They seemed to think that, with Hawkins gone, EA would revert back to being more like its old self when Hawkins founded it. Unfortunately, they were wrong.

The part about Ultima/WC surprised me. I never realized each designer owned his own series. And then it had to all end up with EA... what a shame. The quote is really scary though, and I'm surprised Garriott (and Roberts) didn't see the very obvious implications: the people, including the owners of the IP, do not matter, only the IP itself does; therefore, EA is perfectly willing and happy to get rid of the IP creator and do its own thing with the IP.

I'd like to think that things would've gone better had they merged with Broderbund, but then I'm reminded of what happened to Red Orb when Broderbund was bought by The Learning Company.

waywardOne

Arcane
I don't blame him. EA weren't the obvious assholes they are now and PC games were still sooooo niche that no one imagined they'd become the multi-billion dollar industry they are today. Still, you're a fucking idiot if you sell controlling rights to your creative property. He sold his soul to make more money. Fuck him.

hanssolo

Educated
Whoah! Garriott apologists ITT!

Lord British is clearly not a particularly savvy businessman (LARPed his life away, built himself a mansion, spent all his money on going to space (twice!), etc.) and EA was a terrible company well before they bought Origin.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Here's a little dirty secret: most of acquisitions are not about getting the IP to make a game or product, but to take out competitors.

laclongquan

Arcane
Blackadder said:

Because the potential worth of an IP is the people creating it, not itself.

I play games by people who made Fallout 2, Fallout Tactics, Arcanum, Bloodlines etc.... I dont play games belong to a series.

SCO said:
Here's a little dirty secret: most of acquisitions are not about getting the IP to make a game or product, but to take out competitors.

People have a hard time accepting this concept, but it's true.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom