Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Dungeon Lords hype at GameChronicles

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Dungeon Lords

There's a <A href="http://www.gamechronicles.com/previews/pc/dungeonlords/dungeonlords.htm">preview</a> on <A href="http://www.gamechronicles.com/">GameChronicles</a> covering <b>D.W. Bradley</b>'s <A href="http://www.dungeonlordsgame.com">Dungeon Lords</a>, complete with <a href="http://www.gamechronicles.com/previews/pc/dungeonlords/dlords2.jpg">a screenshot of the dialogue system</a>. Yick. Anyway, here's more yick:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Rogues have an interesting min-game to deal with for picking locks and disarming traps. You have to click an icon with a shape on it as the matching shape is being passed by on a band above it. The bar that passes by the shapes goes faster if you do not have the skill for the lock or trap, so it is exceptionally difficult to pick a lock that your character doesn't have the skills to unlock. If you click the wrong shape at the wrong time, then you fail and if it's a trap you set it off. Different locks and traps have different levels associated with them, the higher the level, the more complex the trap and the more skill required on the part of the character AND the player in the mini-game. If you decide not to take the rogue skills you can pretty much forget about getting into some of the chests, which just means you'll have less treasure. I never encountered any critical quest items or destinations that required picking locks.</blockquote>
<br>
Okay, so how is that interesting? Or even good? What's the point of raising the skill if you find out you suck at the minigame?
<br>

Surlent

Liturgist
OMFG the game has dialog system ? :shock:

Sounds more like the usual player skills > character skills in minigames.
Often minigames aren't that hard (or then the exact opposite). If skill level helps to pick locks, then wouldn't it actually be better idea to increase lock picking skill to compensate player's lousy minigames skill ?

Can't say it's interesting though, but hey, minigames are teh c00lness nowadays. KotR has tem and Oblivion is going to have them. I mean come on, Final Fantasy 7 totally rocked with its minigames, it's sooo console. :?

Fez

Erudite
Seems no one is dissapointed. I think everyone has become too bitter and cynical to be surprised by another shitfest. They could have at least have made the combat fun.

EvilManagedCare

Liturgist
Let's not forget that D Dub has been including minigames for lock picking since the days of Wizardry 6 and 7 (maybe earlier but I didn't play 5), and probably W&W. So this really comes as no surprise. He also, however used to include a compelling storyline, puzzles and nice conversation system. I doubt they will make their way into this "action RPG."

Fez

Erudite
Making good minigames is an art in itself.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
W&W didn't have lockpicking minigames per se. You could just estimate (by remembering some patterns) how well your character was doing and if continuing was worth the risk.

Digit

Liturgist
Ok so I can't say anything positive about this one. I can just imagine all the locksmiths sitting around and agreeing to include fun little games for rogues to play, whilst they break in to peoples belongings. ;)

Digit

almondblight

Arcane
Combat in rpg's has been a mini game for years. It would probably be boring if it wasn't.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
True, works okay in the Wizardry/W&W games I guess. But that doesn't mean its all that good.
However, in a self-admittedly combat-oriented crpg (or COCRPG :wink: ) I don't think it will be a problem. I'm only expecting comparatively low-level character interaction, so maybe it'll do.

Digit

Liturgist
Yeah, kinda like "Will give item if you kill monster, agreed?" then you click yes/no and the hackemup begins.

In fact thats what they should be called. Screw RPG, they should be hackemups. Like shootemups, but with a sword.

Digit

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Digit said:
Screw RPG, they should be hackemups. Like shootemups, but with a sword.

Well, thats how I refer to games like Severance-BOD and Rune. :)

But I'm hoping DLs has a teeny tiny bit more rpg in it than them

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom