Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is an RPG Nerd's RPG

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Big Huge Games; Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

<p>IGN figured that out in their latest KoA:Reckoning <a href="http://pc.ign.com/articles/121/1211333p1.html" target="_blank">preview</a>.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<blockquote>
<p>I don't intend on getting into the nitty-gritty of the story here, because it's the story that really matters in Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning; I don't want to spoil any of it for you. But as you can see simply by the sheer amount of depth in the locations and people I ran into only a few minutes after beginning my playtime, Reckoning is a dense game, chockfull of lore, story and characters. Everything has an incredible amount of attention paid to it. Indeed, as I noted when I went to a New York Comic Con panel discussing the greater Kingdoms of Amalur story as written by famed fantasy writer RA Salvatore, this world's story is about as deep as it gets. Crazier yet, Reckoning itself only tells a minute slice of Amalur's fictional 10,000-year history.&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>While I was left utterly impressed by the plot, setting and characters, I was equally impressed by the give-and-take between these various factors and how they all fit in with one another. Like Fallout and Mass Effect, there's an emphasis on choice in Reckoning. But when I spoke with Benjamin Smith, a producer at EA, about Reckoning's choice system, he assured me that it wasn't quite as punishing as what you'd find in, say, Fallout 3 or Fallout: New Vegas. Choices may direct you into different conversation branches and give the game a fresh feeling, but making the wrong choice won't cut out a piece of content for you like Fallout 3 and New Vegas so infamously did. Likewise, the game's persuasion system may net you different rewards in a side quest or more experience points for completing a task but won't lock you out of finding or completing any task in the game.&nbsp;</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#18413">RPGWatch</a></p>

Micromegas

Novice
making the wrong choice won't cut out a piece of content for you like Fallout 3 and New Vegas so infamously did.
What? Seriously when did either game do this? I guess some of the faction stuff in New Vegas might but when Fallout 3 do it?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Choices may direct you into different conversation branches and give the game a fresh feeling, but making the wrong choice won't cut out a piece of content for you like Fallout 3 and New Vegas so infamously did.

So they don't expect people to replay the game? That doesn't sound too good...

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Micromegas said:
making the wrong choice won't cut out a piece of content for you like Fallout 3 and New Vegas so infamously did.
What? Seriously when did either game do this? I guess some of the faction stuff in New Vegas might but when Fallout 3 do it?

It did, though most wasn't that significant.

Off the top of my head:

moira: you could use access to moira's quests and get a perk for talking her out of doing the book. depending on your performance and responses to her you got different perks (and if you didn't do some or all of the bonus objectives the perks were shittier).

Those! If you kill the fire ant queen before the quest is over you need a speech or science check to still get one of two perks that boost strength/endurance respectively (you can't get both)

A minor quest to shake down a hooker for cash can pay off more if you have a good speech skill.

You can blow up megaton and lose access to the strength bobblehead

that crazy ant lady vs robot- different rewards depending on how you go about it. you can kill one, or both, or talk one or both into stopping the fights. I even modded the Protectron's Gaze (the reward you get for killing the ant chick, i think) to shoot protectron beams instead of normal laser ones.

oasis - you can kill harold the way he asks for a dr perk, set him on fire, or talk him into staying alive. you can also pick between helping one of the hippies. one wants to make trees grow, while the other wants to contain the growth i think.

MCA
Like Fallout and Mass Effect, there's an emphasis on choice in Reckoning. But when I spoke with Benjamin Smith, a producer at EA, about Reckoning's choice system, he assured me that it wasn't quite as punishing as what you'd find in, say, Fallout 3 or Fallout: New Vegas. Choices may direct you into different conversation branches and give the game a fresh feeling, but making the wrong choice won't cut out a piece of content for you like Fallout 3 and New Vegas so infamously did. Likewise, the game's persuasion system may net you different rewards in a side quest or more experience points for completing a task but won't lock you out of finding or completing any task in the game.

LOL, how the fuck is that an emphasis on choice. IGNorant morons contradicting themselves.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
"Infamously"? Goddamnit. I can't help I always feel depressed when people spout such bullshit.

mondblut

Arcane
Crooked Bee said:
So they don't expect people to replay the game? That doesn't sound too good...

That's refreshingly direct and honest of them. Fuck "replayability" anyway. If I deign to waste some precious hours of my life on your shitty, boring game, the last thing you're suggested to do is to deliberately block some parts of content from me, lol.

You faggots almost sound like you WANT to suffer through this crap several times. Me, no way in hell.

They got a point up from me for that. Too bad it will fucking suck anyway.

MCA
Also, Tymoshenko in the game?

KmNgT.jpg

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Can't be any worse than DA2, still reserving judgement on whether or not I'll actually play it though. Depressing that these things keep turning out to be glossed turds.

Kind of wish I had a group to play some pnp games with now.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
Like Fallout and Mass Effect, there's an emphasis on choice in Reckoning. But when I spoke with Benjamin Smith, a producer at EA, about Reckoning's choice system, he assured me that it wasn't quite as punishing as what you'd find in, say, Fallout 3 or Fallout: New Vegas. Choices may direct you into different conversation branches and give the game a fresh feeling, but making the wrong choice won't cut out a piece of content for you like Fallout 3 and New Vegas so infamously did. Likewise, the game's persuasion system may net you different rewards in a side quest or more experience points for completing a task but won't lock you out of finding or completing any task in the game.
hammerfall.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Indeed, as I noted when I went to a New York Comic Con panel discussing the greater Kingdoms of Amalur story as written by famed fantasy writer RA Salvatore, this world's story is about as deep as it gets.
200px-RA_Salvatore,_convention.jpg

bhlaab

Erudite
Finally a game for rpg nerds like me who want superficial choices and lots of mashing the a button on my Microsoft Xbox(tm) Gamepads

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Elwro said:
"Infamously"? Goddamnit. I can't help I always feel depressed when people spout such bullshit.
rage inducing

waywardOne

Arcane
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Like Fallout and Mass Effect, there's an emphasis on choice

I remember playing that game. I do not remember any emphasis on choice beyond thousands of cloned locations, weapons, armor, quests, and companions.

MCA
Save the spore-infested colony or kill everyone.

Save the council or let them die.

Free the space-bugs or kill them ( This one was especially retarded. The bug queen was already incapacitated, kept still in some container. Then you come along and you either have to let it go or kill it. You can't leave it contained there for the council to come and take over the matter. FFS ).

Punch the journalist or not.

Great choices!

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The C&C in Mass Effect basically amounted to: do you want to be a dick or not?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom