Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News JADE 0.2.0 released

getter77

Augur
Tags: JADE

<p>http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.com/2011/11/jade-020-has-been-released.html</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>"After almost three months I'm proud to announce <a href="http://www.adom.de/jade/downloads/javawebstart/index.php">the release of JADE 0.2.0</a>. This release marks a major and very important milestone for JADE in the quest to succeed ADOM.<br /> <a name="more"></a>JADE 0.2.0 is the first JADE release that I dare to call a "real game". It's still pretty limited when comparing it to ADOM content-wise but the rate of advancement is amazing to me (almost 20.000 lines of pure Java code added in 10 weeks, not counting comments and other stuff - I'll post an interesting statistic concerning that, soon). Additionally JADE 0.2.0 sports a number of features that already lift it above and beyond ADOM as those things would be pretty hard to add to ADOM. So here are the highlights of the 0.2.0 release, the detailed list comes next:</p>
<ul>
<li>Quests that provide a "winning condition"</li>
<li>Addition of all the races from ADOM plus three new classes (tinkers, thieves and commoners besides fighters)</li>
<li>Multi-classing (yeah - very cool once more classes are there)</li>
<li>A construction and processing system that allows many modifications to the environment (and can be trivially extended once ideas start flowing from the community)</li>
<li>Many many new interaction means with the environment</li>
<li>About 100 new base item types as well as more than two dozen new monsters</li>
<li>Liquids, environmental effects, many new powers and abilities, an animation system, etc. pp.</li>
</ul>
<p>From now on progress will be have on the content side and I hope to achieve the level of detail of ADOM in about nine months (that would make for a release of JADE 1.0.0 around my next birthday - we'll see if I am unrealistic or will manage to pull the trick)."</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Fans of ADOM that have deigned to not bother with the earlier JADE incarnations that lacked any way to actually win, quests, etc---probably a good time to dig in.</p>

The JADE website has a pretty terrible layout. It is time consuming for a new vistor to find meaningful information about what JADE is, how it operates or its current features. The Developer might consider spending a day tweaking his layout and making his info "newbie" friendly to attract more vistors and support.

That being said, this looks really neat. When I have some free time I will give it a try. :)

Palikka

Arcane
Palikka was killed by an orc on level 1 of de.adom.jade.stories.arcs.drakalor.DrakalorChainStoryArc:ADOM_DUNGEON.

Yeah, I'll wait for couple more updates. Shaping up nicely though!

DakaSha

Arcane
LibertyRansom said:
The Developer might consider spending a day tweaking his layout and making his info "newbie" friendly to attract more vistors and support.)

lol. I'm not arguing with your point per se but are you aware of just who Thomas Biskup is? xD

getter77

Augur
The Ultimate Version thing mentioned down past the infodump log could prove interesting as he scored a Professional install builder via the folks at BitRock. He's still keeping the details under wraps, but anything that helps with stability/less dependencies on related things not breaking something with the game, the better.

http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.com/ ... hanks.html

Easily Amused

Novice
Patron
He really promises to deliver something of ADOM’s complexity in nine months? Wow, his e-penis must be humongous.

DakaSha

Arcane
he isnt a little hobbyist programmer. hes quite the big shit.

He wrote adom when he was barely an adult. Now hes a manager of a software company (iirc). It isnt that unrealistic (although i do doubt it will be on schedule). Also Jades framework is obviously finished.. and it took.. 10 years?

DakaSha said:
LibertyRansom said:
The Developer might consider spending a day tweaking his layout and making his info "newbie" friendly to attract more vistors and support.)

lol. I'm not arguing with your point per se but are you aware of just who Thomas Biskup is? xD

I do not know who Thomas Biskup is. :/

Perhaps that is the problem. If I do not know who Thomas Biskup, and have never heard of Jade or Adom, then I am visiting his website without any preconceived expectations or information. The website is basically a mess for such a user. If the CODEX hadn't posted the link, I'd think it was basement programmer working on some vapourware.

Not that I'm a historian of classic games or cRPGs but If I do not know who Thomas Biskup is, or what Jade or Adom is, I'm willing to bet a lot of people who visit his site haven't either. The site is, imho, just set up in a non-user friendly manner.

Still, thats just constructive criticism and my initial reaction. Otherwise, this sounds like something really neat and I bookmarked it. :)

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
DakaSha said:
he isnt a little hobbyist programmer. hes quite the big shit.

He wrote adom when he was barely an adult. Now hes a manager of a software company (iirc). It isnt that unrealistic (although i do doubt it will be on schedule). Also Jades framework is obviously finished.. and it took.. 10 years?
Jesus fucking Christ. It makes me feel so fucking mediocre :( .

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Easily Amused said:
He really promises to deliver something of ADOM’s complexity in nine months? Wow, his e-penis must be humongous.
People are still playing his wonderful postcardware game he created himself many years ago. If a dev's e-penis length is proportional to his games' longevity, then Mr. Biskup could compete with the best, I guess :D

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I still have to send him a post-card. The problem is that the ones that I usually see are too mediocre for that purpose.
I was contemplating sending one of those with pre-war pictures of the city.

DakaSha

Arcane
LibertyRansom said:
DakaSha said:
LibertyRansom said:

I do not know who Thomas Biskup is. :/

Perhaps that is the problem. If I do not know who Thomas Biskup, and have never heard of Jade or Adom, then I am visiting his website without any preconceived expectations or information. The website is basically a mess for such a user. If the CODEX hadn't posted the link, I'd think it was basement programmer working on some vapourware.

Not that I'm a historian of classic games or cRPGs but If I do not know who Thomas Biskup is, or what Jade or Adom is, I'm willing to bet a lot of people who visit his site haven't either. The site is, imho, just set up in a non-user friendly manner.

Still, thats just constructive criticism and my initial reaction. Otherwise, this sounds like something really neat and I bookmarked it. :)

All im saying is that he is basically a god in roguelike circles. It isnt your lack of knowledge of TB actually.. its your lack of RL knowledge. If you knew and played roguelikes you would by default know who TB is :P
His website may be shit but my point is that he already has a HUGE following and prob doesnt give a rats ass :P

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Not to mention, that an unfriendly website isn't really a problem taking in account who his target audience is.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Never heard of him. Hardly a lack of 'RL' knowledge just a lack of fairly specialized knowledge about German software engineers.

7hm

Scholar
^ It's entirely a lack of RL knowledge on your part.

ADOM was one of the big 3 roguelikes (along with Nethack and the 'bands) that dominated the scene for many years. DCSS has pretty well taken over that third spot with the lack of updates to ADOM, but considering the game was made by one guy and that he had a reputation for being fairly controlling of his work (it's the only big roguelike not to have source code released to the public)... He's a big deal in that particular community.

non

Infra Arcana
Developer
Metro said:
Never heard of him. Hardly a lack of 'RL' knowledge just a lack of fairly specialized knowledge about German software engineers.
:lol:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
More like obsessively controlling. He'd rather take the code to his grave than let people patch the fucking bugs or derive spoilers from the code. Which led to the only guy putting out an accurate and up to date guide for newbies being ostracized by the OCD fanbase.

DakaSha

Arcane
DamnedRegistrations said:
More like obsessively controlling. He'd rather take the code to his grave than let people patch the fucking bugs or derive spoilers from the code. Which led to the only guy putting out an accurate and up to date guide for newbies being ostracized by the OCD fanbase.

:roll:
Not this retarded stance again. You spend years and years on something and retarded people you have never even met tell you what to do with your product.
It's his code. He spent a good portion of his life on it. Fuck you.
And im GLAD he doesnt release it.. Mostly for the same reasons he states. I would truly loathe it turning into the shitstorm that angband has turned into.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ah rogue like scuttlebutt

Just what i needed in the morning.

Anyway, java is a ... unusual choice for a roguelike, considering the lack of curses bindings.

Palikka

Arcane
Awor Szurkrarz said:
I still have to send him a post-card. The problem is that the ones that I usually see are too mediocre for that purpose.
I was contemplating sending one of those with pre-war pictures of the city.
When I got my first victory I printed out the victory file (around 40 pages) and sent him it :P
I guess I'll need to send him a proper card sometime though.

Elwro said:
Andy Williams was ostracized? Haven't heard about this. His guide was very well prepared...
I always thought that the work of Andy W was well received. The thing that caused drama were the Improved GuideBook people who got their data from the game by hacking/code diving/whateveryouwannacallit which caused TB to post to the ADOM newsgroup and ask people not to do that.

Johnny the Mule

Educated
DakaSha said:
DamnedRegistrations said:

:roll:
Not this retarded stance again. You spend years and years on something and retarded people you have never even met tell you what to do with your product.
It's his code. He spent a good portion of his life on it. Fuck you.
And im GLAD he doesnt release it.. Mostly for the same reasons he states. I would truly loathe it turning into the shitstorm that angband has turned into.
HURR DURR

III.E. What about the sources for the game?
===========================================

ADOM's sources are not yet available. My original plan was to release
the sources once ADOM 1.0.0 is finished and I could consider the game to
be even remotely complete.

In the past a couple of folks were very insensitive about my notions
regarding ADOM variants and argued "If the game is available without
costs I can do with the sources whatever I like". Those folks are...
well... socially retarded would be too nice as a description. Let's just
assume that those people really made me wonder about what I'm doing here.
They really should try to create something in the scope of ADOM only once
in their lives and then they might understand. Anyways, those folks
annoyed the hell out of me and I've decided that I'm not going to
release the sources for ADOM.

This will have a good and a bad effect. The good effect is that ADOM
will remain the most challenging and mysterious of all roguelike games,
simply because you just can't take a look into the sources and find
all the secrets right away once a new version is released. The bad
effect (for some people) is that they can't toy around with the sources,
create variants, etc. I can live very well with that and this it will
happen.

Summary: BABAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWW + HURR DURR DERP CHALLENING ROFL

That fuckface is a selfimportant modder style drama bitch who writes enterprise grade software (ie it barely fucking runs).
No one gives a shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom