Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Around the rogue in 7 days

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Joseph Hewitt

<A href="http://roguebasin.t-o-m-e.net/">RogueBasin</a> is serving up a <A href="http://roguebasin.t-o-m-e.net/index.php/The_7DRL_Contest">write a rogue-like in 7 days</a> contest, which means <b>168 hours</b> of hardcore coding mayhem for the people who have the time, love for coffee and nicotine, and mad coding skillz to pull off such a feat. According to the FAQ on that page, it's been done before by <b>Joseph Hewitt</b>, the <a href="http://www.geocities.com/pyrrho12/programming/gearhead/">Gearhead</a> guy, with <A href="http://www.geocities.com/pyrrho12/programming/monkey/index.html">Dungeon Monkey</a>. Here's a clip from the page to make this news post seem longer:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>Q) How do we judge the Winners?</b>
<br>
<br>
A) The primary criterion is completeness. The resulting game s­hould be complete and playable. The author is encouraged to not rele­ase another version.
<br>
<br>
That being said, the only true judge of your "Winnerness" is yourself.</blockquote>
<br>
Stupid hippy judges.
<br>

Greenskin13

Erudite
DrattedTin is a fair and honest judge.

I think in a community as small as the roguelike programmers, a little hand-holding won't hurt. I look forward to playing some of these rogues. Hopefully, there will be some real gems in the midst; though I do not really know how good a rogue can be when it is programmed within a week.

EEVIAC

Erudite
In true rogue-like fashion, developers should be given a random theme (cyberpunk, furry existentialism, Archie comics) and have to make a rogue-like based on that. If the games are all going to be standard fantasy, it won't matter to me how quickly they were made.

Fez

Erudite
It does give them a chance to shine in the spotlight though. Some might show a great idea for a new backstory or theme, other could show promise in other areas. I don't see any harm in it, it'll be interesting to see the winners.

Greenskin13

Erudite
DrattedTin would like a Sam Spade Roguelike

EEVIAC said:
In true rogue-like fashion, developers should be given a random theme (cyberpunk, furry existentialism, Archie comics) and have to make a rogue-like based on that.

An Archie-rogue? Heh heh, how would that work?

I do like the idea of some non-fantasy roguelikes, though. Fantasy has been done to death! The time is ripe for Jughead to don the crown and start the smack down.

EEVIAC

Erudite
Greenskin13 said:
An Archie-rogue? Heh heh, how would that work?

That actually came from a half-arsed idea I had for a d20 PnP supplement based on Archie and Happy Days. There wouldn't be any lethal combat but you'd still have to defend yourself against bullies, compete in drag races and games of chicken to defend your girl's honour, (maybe some high school wrestling competitions.) The emphasis would be on Action instead of combat.

Archie provides the sci-fi influences that stop it from being an endless procession of track meets, band competitions, and deep sea excursions. There are a host of nifty gadgets to help you with everything from scoring on a date or cheating on an exam, to helping aliens return to Mars, depending on what your techie/Dilton can come up with.

Gearhead already does some of the things you'd need the game to do. It wouldn't be that hard to adjust the randomly generated dialogue to something more context sensitive like "Hey [punk] [jerk] [fag], get the hell away from my [girl] [locker] [car] [Ms. Grundy's ass]" - with appropriate quests involved. Instead of solving all conflicts through combat, you use a different set of challenges.

That takes care of "monsters" and loot, all that's left is characters and levels. The setting is pretty defined in its stereotypes - the jerk, the popular guy, the jock, the nerd, the rebel - so that writes itself.

Easy. :D

Greenskin13

Erudite
DrattedTin used to write rogues for a living.

Someone get to work on that immediately.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom